Jul 22 2011
By: gldoorii First Son 8 posts

Need help regarding previously downloaded games & PS+

2 replies 65 views Edited Jul 22, 2011

I'm having an issue with downloading games I downloaded in the past.

During my PS+ trial I downloaded most of the free games (Streets of Rage 2, Abe's Exodus, etc) but I was unsure on whether or not I wanted PS+ after it ended. After the trial was over the games obviously did not work any longer, but I did not delete them with the assumption that if I ever did subscribe to PS+ then they would work since I did download them as a PS+ user. A couple of days ago I got a good deal on a year subscription to PS+ and joined. The first thing I did was go to those previously downloaded free games from my trial period to test them and they STILL did not work. I wasn't sure why, but like any other download I figured I could just delete the game and redownload it from my Downloads History. None of those free games from my period show up at all and it's as if I never had them to begin with. I then checked my Transaction History under Account Management and found the transactions there complete with transaction numbers and all. I can prove I downloaded them in the past, however I can no longer download them. I'd like to know how to redownload games you had in the past as a PS+ subscriber. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (65 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27534 posts

Re: Need help regarding previously downloaded games & PS+

Jul 22, 2011

You can't.  The licenses for the free games and add-ons that you downloaded when you were a Playstation Plus member expired when your subscription term ended.  Anything that you downloaded was removed from your downloads list as well, as you are only entitled to download it when you are a Plus subscriber. When you purchased a Plus subscription later, you were treated as a new subscriber.  It isn't a renewal.  As with any new subscriber to Plus, you are only entitled to the free content that is currently available for Plus subscribers.  You aren't entitled to anything that was offered in the months prior to the start of your subscription.  That is true regardless of whether or not you were a Plus subscriber previously. My understanding is that there may be a grace period where you can still retain your previous benefits if your subscription lapses due to payment issues; but if you cancel, and subscribe again later, you start over as if you had never been a subscriber before.  Early announcements about Plus suggested that you could allow your subscription to lapse, and then pick it up again later, and still use the content that you downloaded during prior subscriptions; but the actual service terms made no such guarantee.

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
8 posts

Re: Need help regarding previously downloaded games & PS+

Jul 22, 2011

Thanks for the response. I guess that's what I get for asking a Gamestop employee before purchasing the card on sale there. He said I'd have no problems. Oh well, thanks again.

Message 3 of 3 (65 Views)
0 Likes