Jan 19 2013
By: MaxyThaDon First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

NHL Gamecenter 2013

25 replies 5792 views Edited Jan 19, 2013

So the NHL season started today, I purchased the Gamecenter Live package in hopes of watching the games on my PS3, I then go to activate on my PS3 and it says the 2012 app won't work and that the 2013 app is coming soon. Does anyone know when the 2013 app is coming out? I tried contacting Center Ice and their number isn't working for me. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I mainly look at the boards not post on them Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 26 (5,792 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: NHL Gamecenter 2013

Jan 19, 2013

Having the same issues. They are being vague about when the new app will be available. I can watch games (so far only WPG vs OTT is available) on my computer though. I'm working on hooking up my computer to to my TV now because I'm having people over to watch a game tomorrow. Unfortunately there's not much we can do but wait until they release the update. Once you get on NHL Gamecenter on ps3 after the update it will automatically update and the new season will be available. You won't have to DL a new app. My Ipad app is updated, but I haven't tried watching anything on it though.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. The only suggestion I really have is trying to connect your computer to your TV (or simply watching it on your computer if it's just you). I am using a VGA cable for video and I'm just gonna run audio through external speakers because I don't have a cable for that. They definitely failed on this one; this should have been ready for the beginning of the season. Best of luck to you.

Message 2 of 26 (5,738 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 20, 2013
Sony is a joke. That fact they couldn't prep for an NHL app a couple weeks in advance is laughable. All they had to do was keep the application the same as the 2011-2012 season, update the games and push a new application update when it was ready. And this is following 3 days of down time to do "maintenance". Sony is definitely trying to push people to Xbox. Disappointing to say the least.
Message 3 of 26 (5,529 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jan 20, 2013

How is this thread solved? Sony has not even bothered to respond to the question or post anything anywhere online about when the 2013 app will be ready to go.  I too have purchased gamecenter with the hopes of being able to watch games on my system.  Is there even an ETA for when the app will be working?

Message 4 of 26 (5,208 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 21, 2013

Yeah... because Sony made the NHL app.

Message 5 of 26 (4,935 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 21, 2013

While I am not so quick to judge why the app is not ready on the exact day the season started, I am completely disappointed with the lack of communication on the issue. I have searched both these forums and the Internet in general, and with the exception of the "Coming Soon" page there is absolutely zero communication from Sony on when we can expect this to be resolved. This is unacceptable.

Why so many companies (Sony is only one) continue to make what has been universally known as a PR mistake for the past 50 years - not communicating with their customers - is almost beyond comprehension. People would rather hear bad news communicated honestly than no news which only fuels anxiety and frustration. It’s just a game, not the Exxon Valdez, a cover-up is unnecessary; how about just give us an ETA. Oh, and I'll give you this little gem for free: "under-commit and over-deliver."

I shouldn't have to explain this to a multi-billion dollar multi-national corporation...

Message 6 of 26 (4,819 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 21, 2013
I AGREE
Message 7 of 26 (4,787 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 22, 2013

The NHL finally responded to my inquiry about this, and assured me that the new Sony app "will be available by the end of January at the latest."

Not very specific, but if its true, I guess I can wait another week or so for the NHL... although it's absolutely ridiculous to make us wait any longer than they already have.  Apparently GCL has been problematic on all platforms, even on the web, so far this season, so don't feel too left out if you're like me and relying on PS3 to show you the games, or in my case (Vault only) the replays without score spoilers...

Hope the info helps someone out there.

Message 8 of 26 (4,194 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 22, 2013

What I want to know is, Sony got like three extra months to get this done during the lockout... it's like they didn't want to do it unless they knew hockey season was actually going to happen.  At least EA made a video game regardless.  Great job Sony, way to play it lazy. 

Message 9 of 26 (3,988 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

"Yeah... because Sony made the NHL app."

@Zalichi Yeah, in this case they do. Each platform makes their own linked app to NHL Gamecenter. Apple TV is up and ready to go, as is every iOS device, Android, Xbox and any other supported platform. So what's your point exactly?

Message 10 of 26 (3,566 Views)
0 Likes