Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 21 2012
By: Teffo1311 First Son 1 posts

NAT problem

5 replies 39 views Edited Feb 21, 2012

Can someone help me? my internet connection is coming from my the complex I live in. It's a fiber optic connection but the complex are using a server that gives automatic IP for each appartment. There is no router. I am getting a NAT 3 type connection. Any way to fix it to NAT 2 or 1?

Message 1 of 6 (39 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30304 posts

Re: NAT problem

Feb 21, 2012

Welcome to the Playstation Community.

You'll only get NAT Type 1 if you're connected directly to the router with a cable, otherwise it will be NAT Type 2, which is generally associated with a wireless connection.

I would have a look at potatobreath's thread in this same Forum to see if it helps you at all, in any event they'll probably be along a little later to help you out anyway!

Message 2 of 6 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Feb 21, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

Welcome to the Playstation Community.

You'll only get NAT Type 1 if you're connected directly to the router with a cable, otherwise it will be NAT Type 2, which is generally associated with a wireless connection.

I would have a look at potatobreath's thread in this same Forum to see if it helps you at all, in any event they'll probably be along a little later to help you out anyway!

Actually, if you are connected to a router the best you can hope for is NAT 2. NAT 1 is only available when you are connected directly to the modem itself.

To the OP, my guess is that you would need to have the person who operates the router on-site open some firewall ports for you. Perhaps check with your landlord or whoever is in charge.

Message 3 of 6 (39 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30304 posts

Feb 21, 2012

As I think you know I used the wrong word, I meant to say modem not router!

Message 4 of 6 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Feb 22, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

As I think you know I used the wrong word, I meant to say modem not router!

I figured that, but didn't want readers of the thread to be confused.

Message 5 of 6 (39 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15432 posts

Feb 24, 2012

Teffo1311 wrote:

Can someone help me? my internet connection is coming from my the complex I live in. It's a fiber optic connection but the complex are using a server that gives automatic IP for each appartment. There is no router. I am getting a NAT 3 type connection. Any way to fix it to NAT 2 or 1?

You don't have a router in your unit, but the complex has a router, and that uses NAT.  If you are getting a NAT type 3 connection, that means that the complex has a firewall that is blocking some, or all, inbound ports; or not allowing UDP packets.  A lot of online games won't work with NAT type 3.  ProfessorTripp is correct.  You need to talk to whoever manages the network at your complex, as see if they are willing to do something to reduce the filtering that applies to your PS3.  There are things that can be done.  For example, the network administrator can give your PS3's MAC address a reserved IP address on the local network, and then place that IP address in the DMZ, so that the firewall won't filter traffic to it.  He could also open selected ports as needed to that address.  Just because he could do this, doesn't mean he has to, or will.  You will have to ask.

GKP
Message 6 of 6 (39 Views)
0 Likes