Sep 25 2011
By: Solid_Snake12345 Lombax Warrior 113 posts

Major Connection Problem! Need extreme help!

5 replies 148 views Edited Sep 25, 2011

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but anyway, for the last six months, maybe more (it could have started about November 2010 but at that time I was only intermittently getting the errors, not every time I turn on the PS3 as now) I have been having constant errors and have been almost completely unable to access Playstation Network while it is in my room. When downstairs, right beside the Wireless router it works fine. I have a Netgear WGR614 v6 and have had it since the day I bought my 60GB launch model (until it broke the day the Slim launch) and since I bought my Slim model on launch and it was working perfectly fine with my PS3 in the same position until either November or just before the big PSN downtime. My Xbox 360 and laptop are right beside the PS3 and they both are working flawlessly with the internet so the distance from the router shouldn't be an issue (especially since it was working fine for many months where it is).

Ok, the problem is that when I try to sign into PSN I keep on getting a lot of different errors. What happens is that when I set it up with Automatic I am assigned a private IP address and cannot sign in. When I set it to manual and try to assign a static IP address, I get constant DNS errors and still cannot sign in. As well as that, UPnP changes from Available and my Nat Type from Type 2 (as they should be) to Unavailable and Type 3. When I put it in a DMZ there is no difference and I still can't sign in. When I do a network test, it passes IP address and Internet Connection but it fails Playstation Network. Whenever it appears like this I can almost never connect (and if I can I get disconnected minutes later). I've tried port forwarding and it doesn't work and I've tried resetting both the router settings and PS3 Wireless settings (I can't remember the exact name of the option but it's something like "Reset to Factory Default Settings)

Some of the error codes I've been getting include:

80710D23

8002A548

80028E01 (this is one of the most common and when this comes up I generally cannot solve it without changing the settings)

80028E06

807101FF (this is fairly uncommon)

The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out

A connection to Playstation Network could not be established

And I'm sure there is more I've forgotten. I don't usually play online too much so I was never in too much of a panic to fix it (although I've been trying constantly for the last month and a half) but Dark Souls' release is creeping closer and closer and if my connection isn't fixed I'll have little choice but to buy it on the 360 which I don't really want to do. So if anybody has any advice at all (that doesn't involve buying more equipment) I will be so grateful and I will try absolutely anything that sounds plausable that is suggested. So please, I beg of somebody (this is my seventh post on a forum and the first five were completely ignored and the sixth I was just told to buy Homeplugs which isn't a solution at all, it's just ignoring the cause of the problem) to have some sort of answer.

TLDR: I've bolded the important stuff

Message 1 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31765 posts

Re: Major Connection Problem! Need extreme help!

Sep 25, 2011

Hi,

Unfortunately I am not here to offer you a solution as such, but to offer you a link to another Thread in this very same Forum, it may be that you have already seen it, check it out here, you may find it of use: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3891787?tstart=0

Check this link out too: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/1593193?tstart=0

Good luck, I know how frustrating these network errors can be, we've all been there!

Message 2 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Sep 25, 2011

BRIT-KO wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately I am not here to offer you a solution as such, but to offer you a link to another Thread in this very same Forum, it may be that you have already seen it, check it out here, you may find it of use: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3891787?tstart=0

Check this link out too: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/1593193?tstart=0

Good luck, I know how frustrating these network errors can be, we've all been there!

Well, thank you for offering help but unfortunately neither threads contain a solution as for the first one, I had already tried the solutions to the various problems and for the second one I had already tried Google's open DNS and upon trying those ones I'm still receiving errors. Thank you anyway though.

Message 3 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Sep 25, 2011

I don't know when you got the router, but trying to google it and I end up finding out that the last official firmware for your router was approximately may 2007.

You may not want to hear it, but I'm willing to say it is your Router's problem, you can try looking around to see if there is a custom firmware you can use, but your Router is basically 6-7 years old and hasn't had a firmware upgrade for almost 4 1/2 years.

You can post all the information that you want, it is not going to change the fact that nothing last forever, especially electronics.  No one is going to be able to magically provide you with a solution....you are most likely going to have to spend some money, deal with it.

If the xbox is still working all it means is that the PS3 is more advanced...., and besides Wired connections are better than wireless.

color tag 001

Message 4 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 26, 2011

i have to agree with Wakko bud it could be ur wireless is just old and doest have the capacity to handle the ps3 i myself had to upgrade my wireless router because i started having the same problem i kept getting disconnected. i own a belkin play wirless router and have not a had a problem since so i suggest upgrading the router first.

Message 5 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Sep 27, 2011

While I understand why you would come up with that solution, it cannot be the case as my PS3 was working with it for over a year before the problem (and my launch model was working fine until it broke when the Slim's launched) and both are in the exact same place and the router has not been changed. So the age of the router cannot be the problem since the PS3 was working fine with it until roughly March. It also cannot be signal strength since it's listed as 75% and the Xbox, my phone and laptop connect fine further away.

Message 6 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes