Jan 07 2012
By: brancher Uncharted Territory 1885 posts

Is it the PSN server?

2 replies 58 views Edited Jan 7, 2012

Hi, I have some questions about the network and the PS3 console itself. I upgraded my internet a couple of months ago. My provider is Time-Warner Cable which uses RoadRunner for their internet. I have upgraded to Extreme which packs a 50 mbps download and 5 mbps upload. I was brought out a brand new modem (Motorola).

I had 2 techs come out and test my connections on December 31st. I am in fact getting the speeds I pay for with my laptop and the Google browser off the 320Gb console I currently use. Now when I do a connection test through System Settings, I`m lucky to get a reading above 10MBPS download and 3 mbps upload.

I realize it says at the bottom it is not accurate. But why would these numbers be so low??

The one tech has a PS3 and plays all the time. He told me that it is the PSN!!! I have to agree with the tech because over the years I have noticed the distinct advantage the europeaons and japenese have over the USA servers. It is my opinion that the USA servers are not near as good as the others. I recently purchased a movie through the playstation store. It took 68 minutes to download.

1. Is it the Network lagging?

2. Is it my console or my consoles hard drive?

Message 1 of 3 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Is it the PSN server?

Jan 7, 2012

68 minutes to download a full length feature film is actually faster than I would have expected.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether you get 10 Mbps service or 1 Gbps service, you are limited by the upload speeds of the PSN.

As far as US vs. Europe vs. Asia servers, I don't really see the point in worrying about it unless you plan to move out of the country. Plus my guess is that there are a few more PS3 gamers in the US and Canada than there are in other parts of the world.

Message 2 of 3 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1885 posts

Re: Is it the PSN server?

Jan 7, 2012

Well of course with the size of America there probably are more gamers here. The Euros and asians have a much faster server because they will kill you extremely fast compared to  a american. So you seem to agree 68 minute download is in fact the PSN server.

Message 3 of 3 (58 Views)
0 Likes