Jul 21 2013
By: RedHellDragon First Son 6 posts

Is it normal....?

[ Edited ]
9 replies 244 views Edited Jul 21, 2013

Is it normal for PSN support staff to threaten to ban you from PSN services due to being hacked?  My friend today got on and couldn't use any of his features and got frustrated.  He checked his mail and found a change of address email from PSN and called.  He spoke to 2 different people, he first was very nice and respectful and confirmed that the account had been comprimised.  The second was condensending and flat out told him "If this happens again, we will perminatly ban your account from the PSN". 

So I guess my question is, where in the EULA and/or ToS does being hacked constitue being banned?  Anyone know?

Oh and I should add in, he did NOT give away his info to anyone.  He does not even give it to his wife...

Message 1 of 10 (244 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39174 posts

Re: Is it normal....?

Jul 21, 2013

RedHellDragon wrote:

Is it normal for PSN support staff to threaten to ban you from PSN services due to being hacked?  My friend today got on and couldn't use any of his features and got frustrated.  He checked his mail and found a change of address email from PSN and called.  He spoke to 2 different people, he first was very nice and respectful and confirmed that the account had been comprimised.  The second was condensending and flat out told him "If this happens again, we will perminatly ban your account from the PSN". 

So I guess my question is, where in the EULA and/or ToS does being hacked constitue being banned?  Anyone know?

Oh and I should add in, he did NOT give away his info to anyone.  He does not even give it to his wife...

The PSN member of staff was not 'threatening' you (your 'friend'),  they were trying to instill in you the need to be more careful with your account information in future.

Just so you know, an account cannot be 'hacked' by someone unless they have your password, so your friend is either mistaken or is not telling you the truth, you (they) were not 'hacked', the member of staff was telling you not to give out your personal information to game-share or rank up to prestige level 18696!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 10 (225 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I beg to differ, PSN has been hacked twice in the past 2-3 years.  I believe the news said somewhere around 7 million accounts?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2012/10/25/sony-ps3-hacked-again-all-future-games-decrypt...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23313535

And please, do not do the condesending 'friend' thing.  I am an adult, you are an adult.  I am genuinely asking for my friend because he is **bleep** off now for being called a liar and getting ready to go back to xbox wasting the $300 anniversary gift i just got him.

Message 3 of 10 (221 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24622 posts

Jul 21, 2013

RedHellDragon wrote:

I beg to differ, PSN has been hacked twice in the past 2-3 years.  I believe the news said somewhere around 7 million accounts?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2012/10/25/sony-ps3-hacked-again-all-future-games-decrypt...

And please, do not do the condesending 'friend' thing.  I am an adult, you are an adult.  I am genuinely asking for my friend because he is **bleep** off now for being called a liar and getting ready to go back to xbox wasting the $300 anniversary gift i just got him.

That was a hack on the network not on an individual account. Noone's account was effected by that other than not being able to get online until Sony upgraded their security.  Your account can only be "hacked" if you give your information away for whatever reason. "Adults" do it too. Don't get so defensive

P.S. Nobody cares if you or your "friend" get an Xbox and to mention it is a little childish.

Message 4 of 10 (219 Views)
MVP Support
39174 posts

Jul 22, 2013

RedHellDragon wrote:

As has already been pointed out to you that 'hack' was a 'hack' on the whole PSN Network, everyone's accounts were affected, in your OP you are referring to an individual account which as I have already said CANNOT be accessed without the password, so for that reason I fear your friend is not telling you the whole story, he is telling it to you incorrectly or you are not understanding them correctly.

Do me a favor, go back & talk to your friend, get as much detail as possible & come back here & let us know of there's anything new that has come to light.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 5 of 10 (201 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jul 22, 2013

And I quote:

"So I woke up, went to play some skyrim and my account for PSN wasn't letting me in.  After several tries i called the PSN support line and gave them my information at which time they told me it appeared my account was comprimised and that there were a lot of failed attempts to log in to my account.  After talking to 1 represenitive for a while, they transfered me to another who was going to help reset my account to normal.  the 2nd guy was an (verb) and told me that he would help and all, but if i had to call again for being hacked, that my account would be banned or perminatly frozen.  I called back today and spoke to a supervisor who appoligized for the inconvience and stated he would look into the matter.  I've never given my password to anyone, i'm a recluse, not a (f-bomb) moron man"

Message 6 of 10 (161 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 22, 2013
Although he may not have "given away" his information, from the sounds of what you've just posted it seems like he used a password that was easy to guess and as a result someone else access his account.

When someone uses the same password for multiple different sites (generally out of convenience to them), if any one of those sites gets compromised and the password discovered, people will then attempt to see what other sites that user's password will work.

Just having a password is meaningless if the password is so simple and easy to guess that it protects nothing. Security starts with the end-user, and if the end-user doesn't take the proper steps to have a secure password that is not shared across different sites, they compromise their own security.
Message 7 of 10 (155 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Jul 22, 2013

jdurg, that is a more reasonable answer and explanation than just jumping to the assumption that someone willingly gave away their information, and is probable.  I'll make sure he switches up his other passwords incase this was the issue.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 10 (144 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 23, 2013
No problem. While it does seem like a case of "jumping to conclusions" by assuming that someone willingly gave away their information, in the VAST majority of cases that the Sony Support staff probably encounter, and the posts here in the forums regarding 'MY ACC0UNT WAS HACKZORED!", the sad truth of it is that it was a person who was gamesharing and had their information changed. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 10 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
7 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Personally I believe that anything can be hacked especially psn account . If you don't your living on another planet . But they ban your account claiming you gave out your information making your ps3 useless for online game play . Thus you go out buy another ps3 and sony sells another console . You can't win but sony sure does your guilty even if you've done nothing wrong ........

Message 10 of 10 (133 Views)
0 Likes