Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 06 2013
By: LANIUS666 First Son 1 posts

Internet issues with changing my dns

2 replies 176 views Edited Jan 6, 2013
Just wondering if anyone has ran into this issue or knows a solution I was changing my dns to access some content not available in my country and whenever I change my dns my ip will always fail to connect automatically why does this happen. As soon as I switch back to my normal dns by setting it in the automatic selection my Internet connects with no issue
Message 1 of 3 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Re: Internet issues with changing my dns

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2013

Did you change the DNS on your router or Playstation? if it was you PS3 that you changed it on then change it on your router and that should do it.:smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 3 (147 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18720 posts

Re: Internet issues with changing my dns

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

LANIUS666 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has ran into this issue or knows a solution I was changing my dns to access some content not available in my country and whenever I change my dns my ip will always fail to connect automatically why does this happen. As soon as I switch back to my normal dns by setting it in the automatic selection my Internet connects with no issue

|Welcome to the PS Community.

DNS doesn't deal with internet access, it deals with domain name resolution. The Domain Name System [is much more] but is like the phone operator or phone book or the internet, where you tell it to what website you want to connect to and DNS translates that to the right IP address. In other words, DNS allows you reach & remember websites by alphabetic names instead of numbers, which are more complicated to remember. For example. every time you direct your browser to navigate to http://community.us.playstation.com the DNS translates that to 208.74.205.227. Alternatively, if the DNS servers are down [and you still have internet access] you can still reach a website by its IP address.

In Your Case

Assuming you are entering functional DNS IPs correctly on the PS3 or at router level & you are unable to navigate to websites via name, then it can be that your ISP is deliberately blocking some or all third party DNS IPs.

With that said, changing DNS IPs will not grant you access to PSN content not available in your country. Normally your geo-location is determine via triangulating your public IP. As far as the PSN Store goes, you location is determine by the address associated to the PSN account in question. In other words, even changing your IP will not help your cause.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 3 of 3 (140 Views)
0 Likes