Feb 17 2012
By: RubixKing First Son 3 posts

Internet Connection Problems, Please HELP!

5 replies 592 views Edited Feb 17, 2012

I haven't been able connect to the internet/PlayStation network with my PS3. Everything was  working fine until today when I was randomly signed out while playing a game, and I've been unable to reconnect since. Naturally I went to Internet Connection Test to see what was up, and this is where I get confused and wonder if there is a hardware problem with my PS3.

When I first tried to test the connection, it failed in trying to obtain the IP Address, so I reset my router. When I tested the connection again, it found the IP address and internet connection, but then it failed to connect to the PlayStation network. I searched the internet to see if the network is up (which I'm assuming it is because I couldn't find anything saying it was down) and then tried again. Still no luck.

I've tried several times throughout the day  to log on since this problem started, and still haven't had any luck connecting. I have been running the internet connection test, and what's odd now is that sometimes it fails to obtain an IP Address, but if I run the test again 2 seconds later it obtains the IP address and internet connection but then can't connect to the PlayStation Network. If I run it again  it can't obtain an  IP address. The next time it'll obtain the IP Address but then fails to connect to the internet. You get the picture.

Is this a hardware issue? and if so is it something I can fix myself?

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 6 (592 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Internet Connection Problems, Please HELP!

Feb 17, 2012

Have you reset your modem as well?

Message 2 of 6 (592 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Feb 17, 2012

also try connecting straight to the modem,(rule out router issue), and then try wired if you're using wireless, or vis versa,,,narrow it down.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 6 (592 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 17, 2012

The internet isn't the problem because my computer is online right now, connected through the wireless router. Plus I don't have a modem, I live in a building where the internet is built into it, all I have to do is plug up (in this case I have the wireless router connected to it) and I'm online.

I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to get from the router/internet port to my ps3, and even if I did and then it worked, it means my wireless card on the ps3 is busted and I'd still need to get it repaired.

Speaking of, how would I go about fixing this issue? I have a PS3 slim with the wireless card built in, but didn't older model PS3's have external wireless cards? Could I just get one of those old ones and plug it in? and where can I take my PS3 to get repaired? Best Buy?

Message 4 of 6 (592 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Ok, now I'm really confused. I just hacked onto one of my neighbor's wireless networks that's unsecured, and the PS3 connected.

So what would the problem be now? IP conflict? my computer is on the internet fine, and up until yesterday both my computer and PS3 were working in harmony...

Message 5 of 6 (592 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Restart your router. That can solve many problems especially if the router has buggy firmware.

You might just need to fine tune your wireless router settings. Try a different wireless channel on 1, 6 or 11. If it's a router that you bought from a store, then check the router manufacturer's website for firmware update downloads to improve performance.

Message 6 of 6 (592 Views)
0 Likes