Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 16 2013
By: Dekumanus Monster Hunter 30 posts
Accepted Solution

Installation problems with Ni no Kuni: WOTWW digital download.

[ Edited ]
4 replies 1571 views Edited Mar 16, 2013

I've been having some really frustrating installation problems with the digital download of Ni no Kuni. I downloaded and installed the 16GB one first, because I thought it was the base game. I then got corrupted data and installation errors both times (I deleted the corrupted data). After that, I downloaded the 5.9GB file, and installed that with no problems. I then retried to install the 16GB file, because I realized that file would install after the 5.9GB file, but I ended up getting another installation error after 5%.

Figuring that the data for the 16GB file was incompletely downloaded, I re-downloaded it again. To my frustration, I kept on getting installation errors the second time I tried to install it after completely re-downloading. Note that I didn't delete the 5.9GB file to launch the game after I downloaded and tried to install the 16GB file a second time.

It takes me around 17-20 hours to download everything, and I am afraid that if I try to re-download and install again (in the correct order this time), the 16GB file will just give me another install error.

As a side note, downloading and installing any type of game (or add on) of any file size has given me no problems in the past.  I also have enough disk space left on my PS3, around 180GB.

Anybody else having similar problems, or possibly a solution?

Message 1 of 5 (1,571 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: Installation problems with Ni no Kuni: WOTWW digital download.

Mar 16, 2013

Not at all! I've been getting the exact same issue! See, I purchased Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy VII and Wizardry and I downloaded them all simultaneously. My PS3 froze after I tried to download them in the background, so I shut off my PS3, turned it back on and resumed download. It took me FOREVER to download everything and install it. Wizardry functioned perfectly, and so did Final Fantasy VII, but just like you, I kept getting errors whenever I tried to play Ni no Kuni. I re-downloaded, re-installed it and re-tried but to no avail. 

I decided to delete the copy off my PS3 and instead of going to the PSN Store, I went to Account Management to go to my downloads and download it from there. I noticed that there were two separate files. A 5.9 GB one and a 16 GB one. Now, this was my first time downloading any game online so I wasn't sure what to do... One one side, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem (which means more people probably have it, which also means that there's a cause for the PS people to look for a solution), but on the other hand, I spent a lot of money for that game so it'd be nice to have some kind of resolution sometime soon! 

Unfortunately, I can't really help out so I guess we ought to wait for an answer or contact Customer Support?

Message 2 of 5 (1,538 Views)
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Thank you very much, Xianghua_Menace!  What I ended up doing was reverting to the default settings to my PS3, and formatting the hard drive.  I know this is drastic, but I backed up all I could before that.  Anyway, I re-downloaded the 5.9GB file first and installed.  After that, the 16GB file, and I was finally able to install and play.

I'm not sure if formatting the hard drive was a smart thing to do (I'm sure it was not), but I wanted to make sure there would be no errors of any kind when attempting to re-install everything again (after the large download).

Message 3 of 5 (1,509 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 18, 2013

[This is Xianghua_Menace; just using my main account]

Yeah, that IS rather drastic... I'll just do exactly what you did but without the formatting part. If this fails, then I'll be obliged to format my PS3 as well after backing up my information and data. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll get back to you if ever I succeed (or fail... : P)

Message 4 of 5 (1,496 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Mar 19, 2013
This is Xianghua_Menace [using my main account]

I got it to work! I deleted the bad copies off my PS3, and downloaded the 5 GB piece of the game, followed by the 16 GB piece of the game. Once they were both downloaded, I just installed the awaiting file in my Game section and then played. It works perfectly fine!
Message 5 of 5 (1,485 Views)