Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 24 2011
By: therockiswwf First Son 17 posts

In need of big help. PS3 and PSP crashes internet when I try to connect. This is driving me crazy, HELP!

23 replies 392 views Edited Feb 24, 2011

I can't figure out what the mark this discussion as a question means. I looked around and I can't find anything on it. So sorry if I shouldn't have marked it. I hope its in the right section.

Now to the problem

When my ps3/psp try to connect to the internet, the internet stops working for every device (including the ps3/psp) in my house until I refresh the router (I think its called troubleshooting).

Here are the specifics

linksys wrt54g wireless router (should work with ps3/psp)

802.11g (should work with ps3/psp)

WEP password

Connected to it are 6 computers, Wii and Ipod touch. All can be on at once and run with no lag.

NOT A BANDWIDTH ISSUE

Road Runner as ISP (should work with ps3/psp) NOTE: My ISP maybe Time Warner Cable, but I'm pretty sure its not.

I have no idea what a DMZ is but on my router the light under it is off

I have tried both Wired and Wireless both don't work. I want to do it with a wireless connection.

I did look up the router/ISP and both say they should work. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. A new router is not a possibility and changing some of the stuff on the router is also a no go. I have put in all the information (ip adress, dns, etc) correctly. I have called sony and they were no help.

Do I have to put in the mac adress for the ps3 into the router? If yes, how?

What would cause the crash when the ps3/psp try to connect?

Do I have tp put any info into the router to allow the ps3/psp access? (My Wii and ipod touch work fine and I didn't have to put anything into the router)

Please ask for anymore information that you need. I have been trying to figure this for a long time now and its driving me insane.

How long it took me to get the internet to work on my devices.
Itouch - 2 years
PSP - 3 years
Ps3 - I don't want to talk about it
Wii - 5 minutes
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Re: In need of big help. PS3 and PSP crashes internet when I try to connect. This is driving me crazy, HELP!

Feb 24, 2011

Just found out something that could help.

I think I have a static IP address. Sony said I need a dynamic one. Can someone tell me how to check which one I have. If I have a static one could you tell me how to change it?

Road Runner is my ISP. I know that for sure.

Itouch - 2 years
PSP - 3 years
Wii - 5 minutes
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: In need of big help. PS3 and PSP crashes internet when I try to connect. This is driving me crazy, HELP!

Feb 24, 2011

Try looking for a firmware update for your router. The WRT54G firmware can have a lot of bugs.

Make sure you are connecting to internet from the PS3 or PSP with the easy or automatic settings. Do not set your own IP address if you don't know what you're doing. Overlapping IP addresses will cause computers to drop off your network.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Feb 24, 2011

Oh I did it myself. But my first try I set all the stuff to automatic and it didn't connect (but it didn't blow my interenet out). So I went to manual (which blew my internet out). How do I update it, I am a total rookie at this. But I enetered the same stuff I put in the ps3 as I did with the Wii and my Iopd Touch and they both connected without any problems. My computer ip address ends in .101 and my ps3 has .102. Would I have to mess around with the router to do this. Could the overlapping cause the interent to stop working for everything? Oh and when I looked up my DNS on my computer, I could only find one and the ps3 has two slots. So could that be a problem. What should I do with the DMZ and my router has DCHP, should I do something with that? I have a static IP (I think, my I did my interenet stuff using the static option) and Sony said I need a dynamic Ip and I dont know how to check which one I have or how to change it. Sorry Im just so confused. I have to go to bed so I wont reply til tomorrow.

Itouch - 2 years
PSP - 3 years
Wii - 5 minutes
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 24, 2011

It sounds like you are in way over your head. Don't mess with static IP addresses and manual settings if you don't know what you're doing. You overlap IP addresses with the router and you will knock your entire network out. You overlap IP addresses with another device on the network, and both of them will fail to connect. Don't mess with DMZ, because it is not relevant to your problem at hand yet. Use DHCP to let your router handle things automatically.

You can search for firmware updates from the Cisco-Linksys website. You will need the version number from the sticker underneath the router. You update firmware in the Administration tab of the router configuration web page. It's like uploading a picture onto a website, except you are sending a firmware file instead. Unzip the firmware download before you upload it; the router will only accept files that end in .bin. Make sure you update the router with a wired connection. Do not interrupt the process for any reason.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Feb 24, 2011

Alright I will have to wait for a while to do the router update (about 3 hours). But I can't just do automatic settings (I have always tried those first before doing custom). My Wii, ps3, and my psp have failed (to connect ) when I tired to do automatic. But for some reason they don't crash the internet, the router only crashes when I do custom. The biggest thing I'm confused about is, My itouch and Wii have the same ip address and they don't overlap. My computer when from .102 to .101 (end of ip address) when I first tried to use the ps3 internet. Does this mean my ip address is dynamic because it changed or is it still static? If it is static, why can my Wii and itouch connect with no problem. There are 2 DNS options for the ps3. My itouch and Wii only had one option and the ps3 has a primary and secondary option. I leave the secondary blank, as I only use the primary stuff. If I do have a static IP how do I get a dynamic one?

PS- don't know if this changes anything but I have 6 computers and they can all be on at once with no problem.

Itouch - 2 years
PSP - 3 years
Wii - 5 minutes
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 25, 2011

You need to brush up on your networking fundamentals.

First, there are two different kinds of IP addresses: public (WAN) and private (LAN). WAN addresses are the IP addresses that your ISP assigns you; you usually get one or two, and it's probably obtained automatically through DHCP. LAN addresses are the ones for your personal network; it's what your router gives to your computer, your iPhone and your PS3. Your router handles sharing of the one public WAN address to multiple private LAN addresses.

The router automatically hands out private IP addresses (e.g. 192.168.x.x) through DHCP. It has a pool of addresses to use when a device like your PS3 asks for one. If you use a custom IP address and overlap with that pool that the router uses to share (it sounds like your pool is somewhere from 192.168.x.100 - 192.168.x.150), then you will have problems. If you use a custom IP address that overlaps with the router itself (usually something like 192.168.x.1), then the router will go down because everything gets confused and can no longer find the router.

To automatically assign IP addresses, use DHCP. To manually assign IP addresses, use static IP.

Your iPod Touch and your Wii cannot have the same IP address at the same time, or else they will overlap and drop off the network. The router dishes out temporary leases for IP addresses that expire, so you may find one device having the same IP address that another device had previously.

DNS servers are handled automatically by the router. Sometimes a device will allow you to use more than one DNS server in case one of them cannot be used. If you specify static IP addresses for your devices, then you can make the DNS server the router which in turn will point to the DNS servers provided by your internet service provider.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Feb 25, 2011

I need to do more than brush up. It took me two years to get the itouch internet to work, so to say I need to brush up is an understatment.

I just checked the Wii to see if I did put the same stuff and it appears I used the auto function when I set it up (I did it two years ago so I forgot I used that and I have not used it for about a year). But I don't why that worked because I tried it with my psp (before I had the Wii) and it didn't work. Should I delete the Wii's internet thing and try the auto on the psp/ps3?

I understand the DNS stuff now. I will go try a few things and see what happens.

Itouch - 2 years
PSP - 3 years
Wii - 5 minutes
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Feb 25, 2011

Dude you have been such a big help. Thank you. My psp just worked, so now I will try the ps3.

Itouch - 2 years
PSP - 3 years
Wii - 5 minutes
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 25, 2011

Once you have everything set to automatic, then you can focus on improving your wireless connection so your PSP will connect more consistently. The firmware update will help a lot for this. After you do the firmware update, make sure you have UPnP turned on in the Administration > Advanced Settings section of your router settings. You can try changing wireless channels too. Stick to channel 1 or channel 11 to avoid interference. If one of them doesn't work too well, then try the other option.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes