Dec 05 2013
By: CrazySerbian00 First Son 18 posts

Important Notice Regarding Your Sony Entertainment Network Account

19 replies 7433 views Edited Dec 5, 2013

In the last two weeks, I have recieved two emails from Sony about irregular activity on my account and that my password was reset. I really appreciate Sony watching out for meand all, but I am confused by what irregular activity actually means. Does it mean someone is already in my account causing harm or does it mean Sony caught someone trying to hack into the account from the outside?

I would rest easier knowing the difference.

Message 1 of 20 (7,433 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Re: Important Notice Regarding Your Sony Entertainment Network Account

Dec 5, 2013

From what I know it could mean either. This once happened to me long time ago however there was no changes in my purchase history or my download list so I know no one caused any trouble but may have attempted.

It was originally reported not too long ago that Sony suspected a breach of the PSN to several accounts and reset their passwords just to be safe before too much damage, if any, was caused.

As a good  tip, make sure your new password is very different from your old one and change any other accounts that share the same password (e-mail, Xbox Live, Nintendo Network, Facebook, your online login to the that one cooking the perfect meat pie message board, etc.)

Message 2 of 20 (7,423 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 5, 2013
I've also received two emails now and I'm more so wondering if it has anything to due with owning a PS3 & PS4. IE Turning one console off and then getting onto the other one.
Message 3 of 20 (7,387 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

Serra_Spartan wrote:
I've also received two emails now and I'm more so wondering if it has anything to due with owning a PS3 & PS4. IE Turning one console off and then getting onto the other one.

Yeah, I think this might be it. I got the first email not even 30 seconds after I turned off my PS4 system. 

I really hate having to reset my password, as the password itself is already pretty darn long, and sports a few custom characters. Because of the length, it's a real bother having to type it all in whenever I'm using a virtual keyboard, like the one on the PS3. (epsecially the one on the PS3)

Message 4 of 20 (7,316 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Dec 6, 2013

What PSN means by "irregular activity" is activity that is not usually seen, and yes accounts being logged in from different consoles. The PS3/PS4 system has a specific design in it to where if you connect to a network, it will remember that network, the first ever PS3 that signed into your account was on. So if you connect to a different network, or a system with a different IP, it will be detected as irregular activity, since the REGULAR activity is on the console that first signed into your PSN acc.

Message 5 of 20 (7,310 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

What PSN means by "irregular activity" is activity that is not usually seen, and yes accounts being logged in from different consoles. The PS3/PS4 system has a specific design in it to where if you connect to a network, it will remember that network, the first ever PS3 that signed into your account was on. So if you connect to a different network, or a system with a different IP, it will be detected as irregular activity, since the REGULAR activity is on the console that first signed into your PSN acc.

Sure, but that shouldn't include different systems operating on the same network, but rather malicious account activity by a third party / individual. Normally, these types of security procedures only track severe differences in IP location / time and distance between the two connecting addresses.
To my knowledge, these standard security requirements were not met, but rather, it saw the account connecting from an unrecognized home system, in this case, the PlayStation 4. If you continuously cycle through PS3 and PS4, I suspect that this security system wouldn't be able to differentiate the two network connections, and would simply assume that the account was compromised, due to the different hardware / frequency of connection.

To my knowledge, my PSN account was not compromised. This security breach was falsely generated due to me quickly using / cycling between the PS3 and PS4. The chances of me receiving my first notice not even 30 seconds after I powered down my PS4 console is very low. This was a falsely generated report.

Message 6 of 20 (7,294 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Dec 6, 2013

All PS3 IP's must have an IP starting with 10. IP's starting with 10 are local IP adresses. PS3's don't have a WAN IP adress (The ones that are like 58.459.63.254). So if you connect to a different network, your IP will be different. So it has nothing to do with frequencies. Frequencies are data waves passed on from server to server.

Message 7 of 20 (7,289 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

All PS3 IP's must have an IP starting with 10. IP's starting with 10 are local IP adresses. PS3's don't have a WAN IP adress (The ones that are like 58.459.63.254). So if you connect to a different network, your IP will be different. So it has nothing to do with frequencies. Frequencies are data waves passed on from server to server.

I'm not referring to network or signal frequencies, but rather the time variation. Quite simply, Sony sent me a notification regarding my SEN account, when the account had not been compromised.
The only thing that I was doing differently in regards to account activity, was signing into and using the PlayStation Network on my PlayStation 4 system, and then switching to the PlayStation 3, and vice versa.

Absolutely no standard security rules were met, and considering as how the PS4 network is operating on a different node to that of the PS3, this type of false report is actually fairly common, especially if the network is set up in the way I imagine it to be.

While the actual network IP should be a prime giveaway that no actual breach took place, Sony's network, as of where it stands right now, is fairly inconsistent. This is expected of any large scale hardware launch, so a few small cases of false reports are certainly to be expected. While this may just be a guess, it's also possible that certain regional SEN nodes experienced higher than usual load, and assuming Sony has some type of mitigation service, it's possible that regional traffic was mitigated to an unrecognized network node / router. While this may be a stretch, it would explain the IP differences.

Message 8 of 20 (7,278 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Dec 6, 2013

PSN uses peer-to-peer interface protocols, which connects to the "heart" of the actual "Network" of PSN. PSN doesn't give individual servers for every single user, or else they would crash themselves due to the high amounts of data usage and interface connectivity parcepts. PSN has a single wireless interface security methodology. They use encrypted binarial factors to encrypt the data traffic that goes in and out of individual 1935 ports.

Message 9 of 20 (7,269 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

PSN uses peer-to-peer interface protocols, which connects to the "heart" of the actual "Network" of PSN. PSN doesn't give individual servers for every single user, or else they would crash themselves due to the high amounts of data usage and interface connectivity parcepts. PSN has a single wireless interface security methodology. They use encrypted binarial factors to encrypt the data traffic that goes in and out of individual 1935 ports.

Even so, that doesn't quite explain why these messages are being sent out in error. While the build of the network should theoretically prevent false notifications such as the one I, and a few others in this thread, have received, the fact still remains that we received them. I can confirm, without a doubt, that my account had not been compromised, and that this was, in fact, caused by the PS4 system. The simple fact that I received this notification by email a mere 30 seconds after I had turned off my system identifies that cause; the PS4 system itself.

While I can't troubleshoot this any further, and have absolutely no way to prove my theory, you must admit that signing out of the PS4 and then receiving this notification is a fairly big coincidence, if it is a coincidence at all.

I'd also bet that most of the people receiving this notice have attempted to connect to the PlayStation Network on a PS4 system on, or a few days after, the North American launch of the console. (possibly even the European launch, but I've seen no reports of such)
I'd also bet that practically everyone receiving this notification has used, or otherwise owns, a PS4.

Message 10 of 20 (7,263 Views)
0 Likes