Splicer
82 posts

Re: Important Notice Regarding Your Sony Entertainment Network Account

Dec 6, 2013

Well, to sum this all up, the reason why you got the "False message" was that the automated bot is programmed to send out those emails whenever "irregular" activity has been found. I mean, come on, it's a bot, it just does what it's programmed to do, you can't blame it for doing it's job (Sending emails saying irregular activity has been found). It's like me blaming you for making mistakes, you can't help it, you're not perfect, you're just human. Well that bot, is just a bot. It does what it's supposed to. End of story.

Message 11 of 20 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

Well, to sum this all up, the reason why you got the "False message" was that the automated bot is programmed to send out those emails whenever "irregular" activity has been found. I mean, come on, it's a bot, it just does what it's programmed to do, you can't blame it for doing it's job (Sending emails saying irregular activity has been found). It's like me blaming you for making mistakes, you can't help it, you're not perfect, you're just human. Well that bot, is just a bot. It does what it's supposed to. End of story.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say, here?

This obviously isn't the 'end of story', as if this problem was in fact caused by the PS4 system, there's an even larger problem at hand. While I'm fairly sure Sony has already taken steps to ensure that this doesn't happen again, I would like to receive some form of definitive closure, possibly in the form of a press release or bug report; just to confirm that we were not at fault.

I'm also rather curious as to the actual cause. While the theories I proposed were certainly plausible, I'd hate to think that this entire thing was caused by a security system that has yet to receive updated networking protocols. Also, your 'bot' classification is truly quite simplified. I'm sure you understand how networking technology works, and the various security systems most large firms have in place to ensure a reliable operation. To simply call one of these rather advanced security procedures a 'bot' is a massive understatement. Still, that hardly matters. The security protocol is operated and maintained by network administrators, and if they had simply forgotten to update their networking infrastructure to ensure full support and compliance with the PlayStation 4 system.. well, that is obviously understandable, but I'd still like to receive a definitive answer, especially if this happens to become mainstream. (though I'd like an answer either way)

Does anyone here know what the cause to this is/was? Can a Sony representative provide further insight as to what triggered this false compromised notification? Was it a false notification, or is there something deeper going on? 

Message 12 of 20 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Dec 6, 2013

"something deeper going on." LOL! What are you thinking? The illuminati is behind this? LOL! I'm not making fun of you, it's just kind of funny. But anyway, i'm sure that this notification was just a security measure to try and keep you alerted. Because in this "wave of hackers" going on, it's important to keep alerted. Look at my post to learn how to keep from being a victim.

Message 13 of 20 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

"something deeper going on." LOL! What are you thinking? The illuminati is behind this? LOL! I'm not making fun of you, it's just kind of funny. But anyway, i'm sure that this notification was just a security measure to try and keep you alerted. Because in this "wave of hackers" going on, it's important to keep alerted. Look at my post to learn how to keep from being a victim.

I find it rather funny that you criticize me, and then offer me some advice. This was not an issue with my account. I have not been hacked. No malicious activity or credit card transactions took place. Nothing is out of the ordinary.
Also, by something deeper, I was referencing the possibility of a more severe network problem, not some kind of magical group of hackers taking over Sony HQ.

There is no "wave of hackers" attacking Sony. To my knowledge, the PlayStation Network was not compromised. Yes, this was an automated security alert, but it was also a false positive. Basically, something has gone wrong on Sony's end to trigger this notification.

I'm simply looking for information, not a debate, or an argument.  Information, pure and simple. 

Message 14 of 20 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Dec 6, 2013

Wow, you really haven't noticed more and more people are being hacked? 3 of my friends got hacked IN ONE DAY! Adn I had to hack back into their acc's to exsponge away the other hackers! AND I HAD TO HELP ALL THREE OF THEM WITH THEIR NETWORK. So, you want to tell me, that there's no wave of hackers? Think again.

Message 15 of 20 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

Wow, you really haven't noticed more and more people are being hacked? 3 of my friends got hacked IN ONE DAY! Adn I had to hack back into their acc's to exsponge away the other hackers! AND I HAD TO HELP ALL THREE OF THEM WITH THEIR NETWORK. So, you want to tell me, that there's no wave of hackers? Think again.

So, by your logic, because three of your friends got hacked, that means there's a wave of hackers wrecking havoc on the Network? Oh, and you also hacked into your friends accounts, so you could restore their accounts for them? (which is nice of you, but also clearly a violation of the terms of service)
Yeah, can't say as though I've noticed, but since you know three people that got hacked, this obviously must be a widespread problem that millions of gamers are currently experiencing.

Message 16 of 20 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Dec 6, 2013

1. I got permission from all three of them to hack into their acc's.

2. Yes, if you were caught up on the forums, more and more people are being hacked

3. The three people I knew, were all in different regions of the world...

Message 17 of 20 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

1. I got permission from all three of them to hack into their acc's.

2. Yes, if you were caught up on the forums, more and more people are being hacked

3. The three people I knew, were all in different regions of the world...

Oh no, I've certainly noticed quite a few threads. However, being as how this is the support section, I figured that these sorts of threads were common place here. You will also notice that not every thread is regarding a compromised account. There's one about Call Of Duty, another on streaming, one for gift cards. Basically, the number of regular support threads seems to greatly outweigh the threads for hacked accounts. This seems to indicate that there is no pandemic of hackers going on. At least, no more than usual.

Also, you got their permission? Good for you, but that's still against the terms of service. Quite simply, you're unauthorized to access someone else's account, especially not by hacking into it. Now, if you had access to their actual game consoles? Fine, that's justified. However, you gained access to someone else's PSN account by hacking into it remotely, possibly by using a brute force method to figure out the password.

The fact that they reside on separate continents doesn't indicate much of anything. It simply shows that they weren't all that lucky. Now, considering as how there are millions upon millions of active PSN accounts out there, you'd think that if there were truly a "wave of hackers" targeting PSN users, they'd have hacked hundreds of thousands of accounts by now. Since, you know, a wave of hackers implies that there's a lot of them, all hacking dozens of accounts.

There's simply no evidence that this 'wave' even exists. You're welcome to believe that it does, though.

Still looking for an actual answer, here. This thread is starting to derail into some kind of conspiracy theory. (look, we've even mentioned the Illuminati) 

Message 18 of 20 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Dec 6, 2013

Yes, I included the illuminati, but as a joke. Smiley Happy

Anyway, so you're assuming that there's no wave of hackers because you don't SEE a FORUM on hacked acc's? Wow, you need to learn that it doesn't matter how it's shown, it's what's happening.There's forums on here, people saying that someone unauthorized used their PSN wallet, and basically credit card by adding funds. You tell me, you don't see a pattern.

Message 19 of 20 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
522 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

Yes, I included the illuminati, but as a joke. Smiley Happy

Anyway, so you're assuming that there's no wave of hackers because you don't SEE a FORUM on hacked acc's? Wow, you need to learn that it doesn't matter how it's shown, it's what's happening.There's forums on here, people saying that someone unauthorized used their PSN wallet, and basically credit card by adding funds. You tell me, you don't see a pattern.

There are certainly news articles relating to this specific issue, but they are all fairly new, and all stating the exact same thing. "Irregular Activity"

They've yet to disclose any actual cause, other than that very basic explanation. Sony's yet to comment on this, but given the fact that this is now becoming mainstream, I'm sure Sony will respond to their community shortly.

Still, I'm going to stick with what I currently know, based on my own experiences. The PlayStation Network was not hacked, at least, no more than usual. There is no massive hacking group sweeping through individuals PSN accounts. This is simply a network error on Sony's end, sending out false notifications if you've used the PlayStation App or PlayStation 4. (or both at once)

There's simply no indication that the network is being hacked. Yes, something's obviously going on, but I'd bet more on it being a simple network issue, than an actual hacker.

Message 20 of 20 (228 Views)
0 Likes