Jul 10 2011
By: Spidey817 I Only Post Everything 1191 posts

IP Fragments?

2 replies 636 views Edited Jul 10, 2011

Greetings,

Hoping someone can help me out with this.

I'm having problems with playing certain (not all) games online. Namely, Uncharted 2 and now Uncharted 3. I don't have problems with games like SOCOM 4 or Killzone 3, however.

Anyway, my PS3 is hooked up via Wi-fi (Linksys WRT54GS2) and I'm getting 100% signal strength to my cable modem. Also, when I run a connection test on the PS3 I'm getting the error "The router in use may not support IP Fragments and the communication features of some games may be restricted."

I've done some research and learned that this is most likely due to a miscommunication between the PS3 and my router's MTU setting. I ran some tests and I'm getting that the default, 1500, pings just fine. So I'm assuming MTU can't be the problem. (I also called my ISP to be sure and they also told me 1500 is good.)

Any other ideas? I'm not finding any on my own so if anyone knows anything, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

-S

Message 1 of 3 (636 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1191 posts

Re: IP Fragments?

Jul 10, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I'll give DMZ a shot. Just to update, I managed to get rid of the IP Fragments message by dropping the MTU on my router to 1492 instead of 1500 and putting the MTU on the PS3 to automatic.

Unfortunately, I still can't play U3 online. At this point, I'm assuming you need a faster connection for the Uncharted series than you do most other online games. I guess my standard cable connection isn't quite fast enough.

I've done a little more research and it seems this is a fairly common problem so I guess it's up to ND to make their server a little more friendly, not much else I can do other than to upgrade my connection which I'm not going to do for one game.

Message 3 of 3 (636 Views)
0 Likes