Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
3 posts

Re: The ULTIMATE ultimate guide to fixing your NAT

Nov 4, 2007
Hi, I have a PS3 and just installed a linksys router. All seems to be working fine so far thought I havent played games online yet.

My only question is do I need to follow this guide and open up ports now or only If I have problems gaming?

Thanks, Shaun.
Message 71 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
631 posts

Nov 4, 2007
yo whats up. just followed the directions perfectly, but my NAT Type still says failed. im trying to figure out what the prob. is, but i just dont know.
Zwei
Message 72 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
505 posts

Nov 4, 2007
try enabiling the upnp on both the router and ps3 and make sure the media sever on the ps3 is disabled
Message 73 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
631 posts

Nov 4, 2007
why dose the media server need to be disabled??
Zwei
Message 74 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
319 posts

Nov 4, 2007
I recently got PS3 off eBay for about 450 CDN for a 60 gig. The first things I noticed was the NAT3 issue, as I was trying to set up to play Warhawk. Well It took a long time for me to figure it out, but here it is.

This WILL work.

If you are using a Modem with a Router, That is giving you a NAT 3 when you try to go the other route of Forwarding Ports for your PlayStation 3, this way will 100% WORK!

1. Reset your modem and router completely to default settings. So that when you log in all Port Forwarding is empty . If you do not know how to do this call your internet provider. Get the IP address of your router by going into network settings in XP (provided you have a pc hooked up to the router also. most usually do) Grab the IP address for the router. (Network settings, Local area connection, Details tab, write down Ip address. thats it) ( close network settings window! THAT's only for yourROUTER's IP.

2. Open a new browser and type the 192. 168.X.X number that you obtained from your Internet Provider, into the address bar to log into your modem. When you are into the modems settings, You want to set up The DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) to have the IP ADDRESS of YOUR ROUTER. 192.168.X.X (where X is the number you see)

3. Make a new connection on the PS3, while connected to the ROUTER and check to see what the IP address is on there. It should work.

4. WRITE DOWN the IP address of the PS3.

5. Log into your ROUTER's configuration settings and goto the Applications/Gaming section. Look for DMZ. (If you do not know how, Call the Manufacturer of your ROUTER. Tell them you wnt to set up a DMZ. They will walk you through it)

6. Now put the IP Address of the PS3 in the space for the DMZ.

7. Reset PS3 to Default Settings. Don't worry your downloads and game saves will be fine. Logins will be reset as well. It's a small price to pay to get it to work properly.

8. Now once your PS3 is back on, goto the Network Setting menu.

9. Make a New Connection with ALL EASY Settings.

10. Test Connection and bask in the glow of NAT TYPE 2.

Enjoy this tutorial. i spent 17 hours straight on two phones trying to get help. Nobody out there seemed willing to help and that is a HUGE issue to alot of people. Incompetence is no excuse. 13 HOURS ON THE PHONE WITH LINKSYS AND 4 WITH SONY! That's deplorable.....

my PSN id is teh same as in here, Add me if this tutorial helped you out.

Message Edited by SOOPERGOOMAN187 on 11-04-2007 01:14 PM

Message Edited by SOOPERGOOMAN187 on 11-04-2007 01:16 PM
Photobucket
Message 75 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Nov 4, 2007
Great guide, thank you so much!  I was stumped on getting my PS3 to work with my wireless rounter (Linksys, thankfully) and your guide got me connected and online!
Message 76 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

Nov 5, 2007
nice guide, it always good to see someone with some knowledge helping out!!

thanks again
ashby - discovering new ways to kick ass everyday!

blog: ashby.tumble.com
twitter: @ashby
psn: kernalpanic
Message 77 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Nov 5, 2007
I tried to DMZ my PS3  with .50 and .137 and it would ALWAYS fail the DNS setting. So I set it to .100 and it works fine. So being that my PS3 is DMZ'd I still get disconnected from the PSN. I just read someone's post about disabling the Media Server Connection and so I did that and opened all the ports you listed. BUT, being that my PS3 was DMZ'd, does opening those ports mean anything?

ALSO, what does disabling the Media server do?
One more for the night, is it common to get signed out of the network a couple times a night?
Message 78 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

Nov 8, 2007
I just enterd my DNS servers and all that and then I tested connection and I obtained a IP adress but my internet connection failed?? Anyone know what i did wrong or what i need to do??
Message 79 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
832 posts

Nov 8, 2007
thank you
Message 80 of 1,047 (110 Views)
0 Likes