Mar 22 2013
By: JohnnyBeefStick First Son 9 posts

I can obtain an IP address but internet test fails.

4 replies 4234 views Edited Mar 22, 2013

I posted this in another support category but haven't been able to get help, so I thought I'd post it in here! I have two PS3's. One is working fine (wirelessly connected), and a second one (wired connection). The wireless one works, but the other cannot acces PSN, sign in, see anything on my network, or connect to the internet. It obtains and holds an IP address, but that's where it ends.

This is everything I've tried, and all relevant info:

1. When I run the internet connection test, It says "Obtain IP address - Succeeded", then fails "internet connection".

2. My PS3 works fine downstairs. Both of our PC's and our cell phones are on the network and fine.

3. If I disconnect  the ethernet cable and try to run a test, it lets me know that there's no ethernet cable connected. There's activity on the router port in which the PS3 is plugged in. I also tried a different physical port on the router.

4. I have run the easy setup multiple times. Each time it assigns me the ip 10.0.0.5, which is in my DHCP scope on the router.

5. The default DNS it keeps giving me is 75.75.75.75. I've tried changing it in a custom setup to various recommendations I've seen online.

6. I recently cleared out some unknown/unused IP addresses from my router, which I assume is fine because the router just re-assigns them when a device reconnects.

7. I've manually set 10.0.0.5 as a static IP in the router, using the PS3 in question's MAC address.

8.  I recently added a range extender downstairs and plugged my  PS3 (the functioning one) down there into it in the effort of improving the local media streaming capibilities (802.11n extender, since PS3 is only 802.11g). This helped, by the way. Alot less stuttering occurs when I stream movies from my PC.

9. If I ignore the wired connection on the PS3 in question and run it wirelessly, the same result occurs - no internet.

10. I reset the PS3 to default settings and started from scratch.

11. I've rebooted the router and PS3 multiple times.

12. I have not updated the PS3 in question with the latest patch. I can't - there's no internet connectivity!

13. I can ping the PS3 through CMD prompt successfully.

14. The error I keep seeing is 80710092.

15. I attempted to open the browser within PS3 and it would not connect.

16. I disabled "media sharing" (which really the main reason I use the PS3 in question, but I saw that a few people tried this and it worked. It didn't for me).

17. I triple checked all night last and even this morning, and PSN is up (even though I knew it was up because my other PS3 works fine).

I'm sure there's more. None of this has helped me. HELP!

Message 1 of 5 (4,234 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1759 posts

Re: I can obtain an IP address but internet test fails.

Mar 22, 2013

You want to disable media server connection.Is this how you did it?

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1038/~/disable-media-server-connection

Message 2 of 5 (4,220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 22, 2013
Yep. That's how I did it! It feels like I've tried everything.
Message 3 of 5 (4,212 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 23, 2013

I manually updated my PS3 to 4.40 and it did not help. Help!

Message 4 of 5 (4,188 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1759 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Can you provide modem and router model numbers please?

Message 5 of 5 (4,178 Views)
0 Likes