Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 27 2012
By: hongfuey First Son 3 posts

I'VE BEEN HACKED!!!

[ Edited ]
6 replies 298 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

I Believed my PS3 has been hacked, as this evening I went on and intended to play Rocksmith game. I put the disc in and was changing hand controllers when I noticed my PS3 logged in on its own, and started to scroll through different options. At first I thought maybe a button or something was sticking. So I took control over it and tried to activate my game. But then it took over and went right to the PS3 Store online. I stopped to watch what was going on as I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It then went to the movie section and after a brief pause it chose Men in Black 3. Then it went to check out and tried to use credit card information which I don't have a account for just for reasons like this! It then went to see if I had any credit/money available which that has zero funds. Then it tried to get a password by attempting to type something. But the only thing it did was just type in a bunch of lower case g's. By this time I called my son downstairs to show him, and he was able to get me off and disconnected the PS3 internet connections. He then told me to change my 4 digit password, but either I forgot my password or that "LOSER" changed it on me.

So what do I need to do to get my password back on my PS3?

Also I was considering buying some new music for Rocksmith and I was looking into purchasing the new Bass Guitar version. I was told to buy a PS3 game system card that I can put credit/funds onto to make purchases. But after what happen to me tonite I'm not sure what to do, as if I had done this that "LOSER" would have gotten my credit/funds.

Further as a suggestion can the 4 digit password be upgraded to make it more difficult to hack like what banks do where you have say a minimum of 6 digits that include letters as well as numbers.

[Edited for profanity/evading forum filter.]

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (298 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18580 posts

Re: I'VE BEEN HACKED BY SOME PIECE OF SH*T!!!

Dec 27, 2012

|Welcome to the PS Community.

Has your son enabled remote play on the PS3? This can explain the behavior you describe.

Go to Settings/Remote Play Settings and check to see if there are any registered devices. Delete them & for the sake of making it easy to see if changes are made without your knowledge, turn Remote Start off. [if it happens to be turned on. by default it is off]

¿Hacked?

Such hack requires physical access to the machine. Who has access to the PS3? With that said, such hack is pointless, for if the hacker has physical access to the machine why bother with the task when you can just take the information you need or leave with the PS3

Need help recovering you weak password?

http://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4715/kw/password

Yes, you password can be a lot stronger. A good password is to be made of a combination of upper & lower case alphanumeric characters & symbols. 12 characters in length or longer is best practice.

PSN Cards can be purchased at your local supermarket, drugstore, Amazon, GameStop, etc.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (273 Views)
PlayStation MVP
10961 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Hacked? No
Via Remote Play? Doubt it
Haunted? Most likely
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (271 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Thank you for the replys!

I'm not sure about the remote thing I'll look into that tonite. But I'm the only one in the house who has a PS3. We have new neighbors who moved in last week and I had considered they some how got the same remote log in I have, but I don't know if there range would reach that far. Also I've never given anyone my Ps3 information passwords etc.

As far as getting a ps3 credit card if I get one that has $20.00 can i use the card as I need it? Like by a Rocksmith song for $2.99 and still keep the rest of the money on the card til I choose to make another purchase or will it load all of $20.00 onto the ps3 system?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (249 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28627 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

hongfuey wrote:

I'm not sure about the remote thing I'll look into that tonite. But I'm the only one in the house who has a PS3. We have new neighbors who moved in last week and I had considered they some how got the same remote log in I have, but I don't know if there range would reach that far. Also I've never given anyone my Ps3 information passwords etc.

As far as getting a ps3 credit card if I get one that has $20.00 can i use the card as I need it? Like by a Rocksmith song for $2.99 and still keep the rest of the money on the card til I choose to make another purchase or will it load all of $20.00 onto the ps3 system?

If you've never ever given out your password & it is not easy to gain access to, like making it 123456 etc, then you were not "hacked", it must be something else.

As for the PSN card (it's not a credit card), you add all of the $20.00, not just part of it, the remaining $18.01 would remain in your PSN wallet until you want to purchase something else, once added the $20.00 is always there, there is no way to retrieve it backl

P.S. Why are you so suspicious of your new neighbor?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (231 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18580 posts

Dec 27, 2012

hongfuey wrote:

Like I said, to activate remote play or hack the PS3,  physical access to the console is necessary.

Read the quote and follow the link.

«Quote»

PlayStation®Network (PSN) Cards are voucher codes that allow the user to add funds to their PlayStation®Wallet without the need for a credit card. PlayStation®Network (PSN) Cards can only be used on the PlayStation®Network (i.e. not with local or online retailers). The PSN Card, when redeemed, will place the face value of the card into the PlayStation®Wallet (click here for details on how to use a PlayStation Network Card). You may use the funds in your Wallet to purchase downloadable games and add-ons for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the PSP® portable entertainment system.

-------
PlayStation Network Card Information
http://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/513/kw/PlayStation%20Network%20card
«/Quote»

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (228 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Thanks again for all replys!

As far as my neighbors go I'm not suspicious of anything just throwing out ideas as how this happen.  I actually didn't think they were doing something deliberate, but maybe by accident? I've discussed this at work today with other people who have PS3's and they all thought it was very odd and can't understand how this could happen.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (203 Views)
0 Likes