Dec 16 2012
By: Paradigmatica First Son 4 posts

How to report death threats & bigotry from in-game mic user.

[ Edited ]
8 replies 8959 views Edited Dec 16, 2012

I searched around for information on how to report someone in a ps3 game that is spouting death threats on the mic & racist  undertones.  I've never reported anyone nor am a whiner, it just that this person is a total blemish on society and the death threats serious or not are def' uncalled for.

I have no messages for the person but I did capture the video and up it to youtube.  Is there anything that can be done to get this person out of the playstation community...?

Thanks.

PS, am I allowed to post the video here or is that not allowed?

Message 1 of 9 (8,959 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
35905 posts

Re: How to report death threats & bigotry from in-game mic user.

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

Paradigmatica wrote:

I searched around for information on how to report someone in a ps3 game that is spouting death threats on the mic & racist  undertones.  I've never reported anyone nor am a whiner, it just that this person is a total blemish on society and the death threats serious or not are def' uncalled for.

I have no messages for the person but I did capture the video and up it to youtube.  Is there anything that can be done to get this person out of the playstation community...?

Thanks.

PS, am I allowed to post the video here or is that not allowed?

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

The place to report a PSN ID is either using the in-game reporting feature if it has one, if it does not then plese do so using this link here: http://np.us.playstation.com/

As for posting the video here, sorry but no you can't, "blacklisting" someone on these Forums, whatever it is they are meant to have done is not allowed, sorry, as i said above use the in-game reporting feature if one exists or the link I provided if it does not.

Lastly, as hard as it can be sometimes try to ignore these "belmishes", because that's all they are, they spout this "stuff" to get attention or becaue they are losing, never rise to the bait so to sepeak & leave the game, then re-join the game with some better human-beings.

Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 9 (8,951 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for the response.  But there is a problem,  I went to that url you posted for complaints.  It has option to report in-game voice chat but what I dont see is anyone could do this because it doesn't ask for proof.  So what is the point?  Do they just send the user a warning?..  that all I can figure.  Even at that, there would be so many people reporting for invalid reasons.

So basically I am thinking that by subitting a complaint, Sony does not act on it, so the feature is only there to appease the person submitting the complaint.  Or they'll send me an email saying Thanks for submitting your complaint, would you like to take our survey? ..hehe

Message 3 of 9 (8,944 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shinra Executive
35905 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Paradigmatica wrote:

Thanks for the response.  But there is a problem,  I went to that url you posted for complaints.  It has option to report in-game voice chat but what I dont see is anyone could do this because it doesn't ask for proof.  So what is the point?  Do they just send the user a warning?..  that all I can figure.  Even at that, there would be so many people reporting for invalid reasons.

So basically I am thinking that by subitting a complaint, Sony does not act on it, so the feature is only there to appease the person submitting the complaint.  Or they'll send me an email saying Thanks for submitting your complaint, would you like to take our survey? ..hehe

You're welcome.

I'm not fully aware of what exactly happens once a report is submitted, having said that I am pretty certain that all reports are looked at.

I'm Sorry but no, you will never receive a response or an update once the report is submitted it's annoying, at least to an extent anyway, others have mentioned the lack of feedback in the past, but it would take some implementing by Sony for this to become a reality & is unlikely to happen.

Message 4 of 9 (8,940 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for the response.  Just like every companies motto is "safety first" which translates into "we don't was to be sued".

Message 5 of 9 (8,937 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Moved from Forum Info & Help. Woman Tongue

space_cape!!

Message 6 of 9 (8,908 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Dec 17, 2012
depends entirely on what publisher or dev the game comes from and who's running the servers. I was recently harassed sexually online in Wwe'13 and when I reported the troublemaker I was banned for my efforts. So its probably not worh it. I know it's not right or excusable but that's the way it is in online gaming these days. Yeah no excuse for it either, unfortunate cause it ruins what could've been a great hobby.
Message 7 of 9 (8,902 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21142 posts

Dec 18, 2012

When this type of thing happens, it is usually because the player made the report after confronting the offender; as opposed to instead of confronting the offender.  No publisher, including Sony, cares who "started it".  Everyone is responsible for their own conduct, and the fact that someone else broke the rules first, doesn't give anyone else license to respond in a similar way without penalty.  Once the incident is investigated, everyone that broke the rules is banned.  The person that made the report doesn't receive immunity.  If you decide to mix it up with jerks online, don't think that you can report the incident later; unless you are sure that you didn't violate any policies yourself in the process.  You may believe that you were just defending yourself; but as far as the publisher is concerned, everyone involved could be guilty.

GKP
Message 8 of 9 (8,886 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
51195 posts

Dec 18, 2012

In Forum -

To report an abuse for a Thread created in the forum - please click "Report Inappropriate Content" found under "Options" on the right hand side of the screen (the same box as the abusive post):

report button 2.jpg

OR, you may click on "Report Inappropriate Content" on the bottom Left of each post:

REPORT2.jpg

And in the box below, please give some details as to why the thread has violated Forum Rules. Click the "Notify Moderator" button and voila! The report will then be brought to the attention of the Forum Moderators.

REPORT3.jpg

Via XMB

If someone has sent you a message via the Cross Media Bar (XMB) that you would like to report as abuse, please follow these steps:

1: Hover over the message you want to report (but don't open it) and press the Triange button on your controller. This will open a menu.

2: Scroll Down until you see "Grief Report" and select it with the X button on your controller:

reportabuse3.jpg

3: Read the next screen carefully and select "OK" by pressing the X button on your controller.

4: Select the "Reason for Reporting" box by pressing the X button on your controller - this will open a menu with a variety of reasons to choose from.

5: Select the reason why you are reporting the message as abuse.

6: Press down on your d-pad to select "Grief Report" and press the X button. Done!

This message and the user have now been brought to the Moderation Team.

In HOME

If you are experiencing issues with another user in HOME, please follow these steps:

1: When in HOME, press the select button on your contoller. This will bring up the PlayStation Home Safe Screen:

reportabuse4.jpg

2: Scroll down and select "Submit a Report".

3: A screen will then pop up with a list of names of the users who are sharing the space that you are in. Press X to access the list.

4: Highlight the user you would like to report and press the X button.

5: Press the O button when you are finished.

6: Press the X button to click on "Submit" - This will being up the "Enter Report Details" Box.

7: Press X to acess the list, select the reason why you are reporting the user by highlighting it and pressing X.

8: Press the O button when you are finished.

9: Press the X button to click on "Submit"

10: Press Submit again and Voila! The user will then be reported to the Home Moderation Staff.

Via the web -

Go to: http://np.us.playstation.com/

1: Enter the e-mail address that you use to sign into the PSN network, your username (if it isn't already there) and the username you are reporting for abusive behavior.

2: On the Next page, please click on the reason why you are reporting the user: From here you can report them for various reaasons:

reportabuse5.jpg

When you click on a grey box, a drop box will appear. From here you can select a more specific reason why you are reporting a user (offensive text, voice communication), or in the case of "Cheating", you will be able to choose which game the user was cheating in.

Click Next

3: The next page will take you to a screen where you have to fill out a captcha.

4: Click Submit and you're done! The complaint form will then be forwarded to the appropriate team.

-The Community Team

Message 9 of 9 (8,883 Views)
0 Likes