Aug 30 2013
By: xDEATH4YOUx First Son 10 posts
Accepted Solution

How to change your PSN name. (If it was possible)

[ Edited ]
9 replies 128152 views Edited Aug 30, 2013
If you read this please respond.
Name changing has been quite a hot topic since the arrival of the psn. I would please like a reason for why it couldn't be done. 1st off, you could make it a 10$ cost for each name change. Next, you could make it where you can only change your name once a month if you don't want people changing their name all the time but a 10$ fee should be fine for that. Also, you could make it where you can see the previous name of the player by going to their player profile.

Another possibility is that you could make the option to change your name a playstation plus reward. There are so many ways to add it with no problems and all you do for main from the profits. Please leave other ways its possible and if you know why it wouldn't be possible.

In addition, if you changed your name and had to wait the thirty days until the next name change, it will display your previous name on your player profile. During those thirty days no one could take your previous name and it would be displayed in your profile (your new name would show up but the previous name would be in player profile) thanks for reading. Please respond with your opinion.

Get your Portable ID!

~Patrick Boo
Message 1 of 10 (128,152 Views)
MVP Support
30143 posts

Re: How to change your PSN name. (If it was possible)

Aug 30, 2013

People have been asking for this for six years, and Sony has neither provided it, or given a reason why it will not provide it.  Not that it has to, but Sony has obviously considered the idea, and decided that the current system is better.  It is interesting to note that as far as I know Sony does permit this in Japan, but nowhere else.  That suggests that there are cultural reasons for not permitting online id changes.

In my personal view, from Sony's perspective allowing online id changes has a number of disadvantages, and no real advantages.  I doubt that Sony would be interested in the trivial amounts of revenue that charging for name changes would bring.  Microsoft misses no opportunity to charge for whatever it can on XBox Live, but that isn't Sony's business model. PSN is anonymous, so there is no real world accountability for what anyone does; unless you transgress to the point of having your account suspended or banned.  Even then, it doesn't matter much unless it was unexpected, and done with an account that had purchases and trophies on it.  There is really no disincentive to commit misbehavior that falls short of the ban hammer, except that people will avoid you on PSN.  Allowing accounts to change their online id removes even that small incentive to behave.  If you become infamous under one online id, you could just pay a few dollars to get a new identity, and keep all of your trophies, ranks, and perks.  That is hardly conducive to promoting a civilized online community, and PSN member behavior is bad enough as it is.  I can't imagine why Sony would want to do anything to encourage less personal accountability on PSN. It only makes Sony's job harder, and causes more headaches.  It wouldn't be worth any fee that gamers would consider reasonable. 

It also removes any incentive to be thoughtful in choosing online ids, and would just lead to more childish and offensive ones.  People that deliberately choose offensive names, and are reported, would expect to be able to just change the name; as opposed to losing access to their account, which is what happens now.  Again, allowing online id changes just reduces the penalties for misbehavior, which in this country just encourages more misbehavior. 

From Sony's perspective there is no conceivable benefit that would outweigh the liabilities.  It is just bad business. 

Someone is going to point out that Microsoft allows gamertag changes for a fee.  XBox Live is different from PSN in important ways that makes this practical on their system (given its already notoriously bad reputation for player behavior), but doesn't necessarily benefit gamers overall.  For one thing, XBox Live has a reputation system that is persistent for each account.  You can pay Microsoft to change your gamertag, but your Rep stays with you. If people thought you were a jerk under your old gamertag, then they will still be wary of you even if you change your name and they don't recognize you anymore.  You can't lose your bad Rep by paying any fee. PSN would need a similar feature to make online id changes practical.  The fact that Microsoft requires a paid subscription to access almost all online features also discourages people from creating throwaway accounts with which they can act with impunity because they have nothing to lose if they are banned, and their other accounts are not at risk due to anonymity.  At minimum, they stand to lose the cost of a three month Live membership.  PSN would have to change in other ways besides just charging a fee for online id changes, before online id changes would make sense for Sony.  The differences between PSN and XBox Live are much bigger than just the name change fee.  By the way, Nintendo doesn't allow name changes either; probably for the same reasons.

GKP
Message 2 of 10 (128,128 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1623 posts

Aug 30, 2013

whats the advantage of name changing?

can you not create a new PSN but keep the old one active on the console so you dont lose the purchases?

Message 3 of 10 (128,118 Views)
MVP Support
30143 posts

Aug 31, 2013

You could do that, but you would be starting over with a trophy level of one.  People don't want that. You also could not use save data created with the previous account.  People don't want that either. Leader-boards don't necessarily matter.  Changing your PSN online id doesn't reduce your skill level, so if you are a top player in a game, then you would return to the top of the leader-boards soon after.  Losing things like perks, that take a while to earn, would be an issue also.  The people requesting this just want to change their online id.  They don't want to  create an alt account.  

GKP
Message 4 of 10 (128,098 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Sep 3, 2013
Thank you very much for giving me a reasonable explanation. Having this name is just like a bad tattoo you can't get removed after you stop liking it. Lol

Get your Portable ID!

~Patrick Boo
Message 5 of 10 (128,066 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 16, 2013
I'm upset with my profile Id.. I'm a paying customer of psn. I'm very aggravated with me having absolutely NO option of a name change!. I understand the confusion but when I was younger I made this ridiculous account not knowing it could never be changed. I'm not getting rid of all of my progression and all the hard earned money spent to change my stupid name
Message 6 of 10 (124,175 Views)
MVP Support
40614 posts

Oct 17, 2013

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/254

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 7 of 10 (124,135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 17, 2013

I for one agree that there should be a method of changing Online ID, limited by payment for the service and/or the frequency that such an ID change could be effectuated. The current system in place does not accommodate the need for creating a new name while retaining old save files and trophies, something I can assure Sony many of their customers care deeply about.  

This problem could be mitigated by allowing customers to remove old accounts from their user, which would then allow them to attach a newly created PSN account and online file. However, this raises the problem of maintaining a person's purchases when he/she would change to a new account. This problem is obviously much harder to solve and therefore a system in which it is possible to alter one's online ID is highly preferable. 

This argument should not be about the low return Sony would expect from charging a minimal fee for changing an online ID, but about the service provided to the customer that is going to create a positive response towards company. I would highly encourage Sony to consider adapting a system capable of ID change, as the value it would create for its customers would be great. It is highly unfortunate that Sony is forcing its customers to pick between the weak name you initially choose or the save files and trophies associated with you Playstation Network account.  

Message 8 of 10 (124,121 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Sony's mmorpg - Everquest 1 & 2, charges if you want your toon's (character) name changed.

......and like a bad tattoo, I have to keep my PSN name. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 10 (123,711 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 21, 2013

my name is stupid as hell since i made it 3 years ago and i cant remember it and SONY IS STUPID FOR NOT LETTING ME CHANGE MY PSN ID because i have a guy harassing me and keep blocking him everytime he makes a new account

Message 10 of 10 (122,694 Views)