Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 10 2013
By: kaeden_271 First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

How does Day 1 Digital work?

7 replies 4795 views Edited Sep 10, 2013

Call me stupid, but I can't find the Day 1 Digital terms of use. I heard somewhere that if you download from Day 1 Digital, you constantly have to be online to play the game you downloaded?

Also, on launch day, do you have to go back to the game in the Playstation Store and click 'download'? Or does the game download automatically when you sign in on launch day?

Message 1 of 8 (4,795 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
1245 posts

Re: How does Day 1 Digital work?

Sep 10, 2013
Hey. I have moved this thread to PlayStation Network Support.
Message 2 of 8 (4,775 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 10, 2013

Hi, I have been following this game. Looks good, I like zombie shooters. My understanding is that is a constantly evolving open world, so you would want to be online to be able to interact with other players you may meet. That's how I would play it.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 3 of 8 (4,768 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
906 posts

Sep 10, 2013

kaeden_271 wrote:

Call me stupid, but I can't find the Day 1 Digital terms of use. I heard somewhere that if you download from Day 1 Digital, you constantly have to be online to play the game you downloaded?

Also, on launch day, do you have to go back to the game in the Playstation Store and click 'download'? Or does the game download automatically when you sign in on launch day?

Day 1 Digital is just an advertising campaign to let everyone know that they can buy digital games on the day of release with games in the program.  It isnt a subscription service like PS+, you still have to go buy the game in the PS store but some things have come from the D1D program, mainly that you can pre-order digital games, I dont know the point to that is, but its there.  

As with all games you buy via the PS Store you can play them offline provided they arent online games. 

Message 4 of 8 (4,756 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14899 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2013

Day 1 Digital just means that the game will be available in the Playstation Store on the day that the game launches, even if that day does not happen to be a Tuesday; which is when Playstation Store updates normally happen in the USA and Canada.  Usually the game is available in the early AM hours, Pacific time.  If the game is not Day 1 Digital, then it won't be available in the Playstation Store until the next regularly scheduled Playstation Store update, which could be as much as six days after the launch of the game. The games are otherwise no different than any other game that you purchase in the Playstation Store. You still have to purchase it in the Playstation Store after it launches, if you did not pre-order it.  You still have to download and install it, or at least queue it for automatic download and install it. No Playstation Store game automatically downloads itself, even if you pre-order it.

As the supply of digital games is unlimited, they can't sell out.  The only reason to pre-order the game is if there are Playstation Store pre-order bonuses offered for doing so.  In the retail channel pre-orders also also used by gauge interest in a game.  Publishers of niche titles have been known to cancel releases occasionally due to low pre-orders.  Playstation Store releases are announced so close to the release date of the game that it would not be a factor.  The publisher would already have spent too much money at that point for it to make any sense to not release the game digitally.

GKP
Message 5 of 8 (4,746 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 10, 2013

tracerwilly wrote:

Hi, I have been following this game. Looks good, I like zombie shooters. My understanding is that is a constantly evolving open world, so you would want to be online to be able to interact with other players you may meet. That's how I would play it.

Oh LOL....I was thinking about Day Z.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 6 of 8 (4,730 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you, this helped a lot. I'm going to go ahead and pre-order a game then.

Message 7 of 8 (4,724 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 16, 2013
Thnks, helped alot,
Message 8 of 8 (4,512 Views)
0 Likes