Jul 14 2011
By: lisatsunami First Son 9 posts
Accepted Solution

How can I find and add non US stores to my PS3 account?

4 replies 277 views Edited Jul 14, 2011

Hello, all.  I tried to research for an answer but failed.  I often read blog posts from people on the US blog who will buy games on the Euro store.  I would at least like to browse other stores.  How could I add other PS stores to my XMB?  How can I find out what other stores there are?  Japan store, likely. English store?  New Zealand store, etc.

I hope I can even find this question I wrote, once I post, lol.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41884 posts

Re: How can I find and add non US stores to my PS3 account?

Jul 14, 2011

lisatsunami wrote:

Hello, all.  I tried to research for an answer but failed.  I often read blog posts from people on the US blog who will buy games on the Euro store.  I would at least like to browse other stores.  How could I add other PS stores to my XMB?  How can I find out what other stores there are?  Japan store, likely. English store?  New Zealand store, etc.

I hope I can even find this question I wrote, once I post, lol.

Thanks in advance.

You will have to make other accounts/PSN ID's for the countries you want to access the PS Store in, however its not as simple as that, you will need a valid address in that country as well as a means of puirchasing in the currency that country uses.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31571 posts

Jul 15, 2011

The Playstation Store you access is automatically determined by the country that you said that you live in when you created your PSN account.  It can't be changed. You would have to create additional PS3 User profiles on your PS3, and sign up for Playstaion Network with an account that claimed a different country of residence, in order to access a different Playstation Store.  There are a couple of problems with this.  The first is that it is a violation of the PSN terms of service to give false information when registering for a Playstation Network account.  Sony doesn't want you to access the Playstation  Network, or a Playstation Store, outside of your own country.  People do it, but it isn't actually allowed.  The other problem is that you can't buy anything unless you have Playstation Network cards denominated in the local currency for the Playstation Store that you are using, or a credit card with a billing address that is in the same country as the Playstation Store that you are using.  These restrictions are intended to make it difficult to buy anything from a Playstation Store in a foreign country.

GKP
Message 3 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 15, 2011

Thank you, gkpmama00.  Very thorough explanation.  I wonder why they have that silly policy about limiting who can buy what/where.  We consider that discrimination here in America.  Really.  African-Americans, for instance, weren't allowed to eat in many restaurants or attend certain events/places, etc, until the 1960's. 

There are some Harry Potter psp games that I would love to have on my Go, but they've never, ever been on the US store.  I deem that "unConstitutional!"

Message 4 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
31571 posts

Jul 15, 2011

It isn't discrimination.  It is due to legal restrictions. Content that is perfectly legal in one country, may be banned in another.  Some content, particularly films, TV shows, and some games; is often licensed by region.  Sony may not have the legal right to distribute certain content in all regions. A game or film title that is fine in one country, may infringe on a trademark in another country. If Sony allowed people to use any Playstation Store they wanted, the company might be charged with distributing illegal content in some countries, or with copyright infringement by some of the content owners, or with trademark infringement by third parties.  Each game, video, add-on, or other content has to go through legal clearance before it goes into the Playstation Store.  That only works if people only use the Playstation Store that they are permitted to use. Sony isn't doing it just to deny you content that you want.  The owner of the content hasn't given Sony permission to make it available in the US.  There is nothing that Sony can do about it, and letting you import it illegally from the Playstation Store isn't a good option for Sony either.

GKP
Message 5 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Likes