Mar 26 2011
By: Sn1p3Z-_-xJohn First Son 5 posts

Help!! cant play online!

4 replies 188 views Edited Mar 26, 2011

i really need some help here!

so i had perfect wireless connection (95% - 100%) and then all of a sudden when i was checking my connection it said i wasn't connected. my modem was perfectly fine, i can browse through the internet and stuff, but my ps3 can't find my ip address! So then i tried using an ethernet cable. i took out the side of the ethernet cable that is connected to my computer and connected that side to my ps3. so now there is an ethernet cable connected from my modem to my ps3. i then went to internet connection settings, put easy, put wired connection, and it said cannot obtain ip address.my modem is a Motorola SBV5220 SURFboard Cable modem. please help i need some answers quick, my friends have been waiting to play with me for weeks!

Message 1 of 5 (188 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Re: Help!! cant play online!

Mar 27, 2011

This means that your PS3 is behind the Router and requires you to forward the PS3's port to access the Playstation Network Servers.

Type in: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 < check your Manual for the Web address for the Router

Log in as "Admin" < again check your Manual for credentials to login. If you never set this up then there will be no password.

Look for Port Forwarding, might be under Advanced Settings or NAT settings.

And Type this into the following boxes.

Name: Playstation 3 or Playstation Network (Any name basically)

IP Address: Enter your PS3's Static IP address. Check under System Information.

TCP: 80,443,5223

UDP: 3478,3479

if there are options like scheduling and such make sure they are set to ALLOW

As for the modem, try to reboot it or obtain a new IP address (This method may not change it, but just refreshes it)

If you have Windows, Press Win + R or go to Start > Run  (XP)

Start > Search for cmd   (Vista/7) and Right Click as Admin for cmd

Then type in ipconfig /release and then type in ipconfig /renew

- Make sure the Ethernet cord is connected directly to the modem. Once you renew, reboot the modem and let it reconnect back to the ISP.

These are the answers I can come up with. Let me know If this works.

Message 2 of 5 (188 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 27, 2011

i figured out the problem... i wasn't using my connection the whole time (im stupid lol) since i had a modem, so im gonna go to best buy and get a router to connect to my modem... problem solved, yay!

Message 3 of 5 (188 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 27, 2011

thanks for your help tho!

Message 4 of 5 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Mar 27, 2011

Sn1p3Z-_-xJohn wrote:

i figured out the problem... i wasn't using my connection the whole time (im stupid lol) since i had a modem, so im gonna go to best buy and get a router to connect to my modem... problem solved, yay!

Haha. Nice man. I took my time to write that post. I thought you already had a router?

Cheers.

Message 5 of 5 (188 Views)
0 Likes