Highlighted
Jul 24 2013
By: ChizFreak First Son 2 posts

[HELP] My PS3 system deactivated without me doing anything!

[ Edited ]
2 replies 379 views Edited Jul 24, 2013

I haven't used my PS3 for like 1 month. Today I turned on my PS3, updated the firmware (I have PS+, so the update was already downloaded, but a message propmted to told me I had to update before be able to log into PSN), put my Dark Souls disc on, and the horror came when a message told me the DLC (Artorias of the Abyss) couldn't be authenticated. I closed the game, and notice, again to my horror, that my BF3 background disappeared and was replaced by the default PS3 theme. This was weird, because, before and after I updated the system firmware the background was ok, it only happened after I closed the game.

I went into Theme settings, and saw lots of themes previously downloaded with the generic name "Theme". I clicked one of them, and a message told me I had to activate the system with the account that purchased the content to able to use that content. Very strange, I went to Account Managment>System Activation>PS3>Game and tried to activate my system but the error 80029780 popped up. I tried redownloading the DLC (it's only an unlocker, 100kb), and I got the same error.

I searched on the Internet what caused the error 80029780 and I found that it happens when the "systems of a PSN account are activated/deactivated 15 times in less than 24 hours". That doesn't make sense! I haven't used my PS3 in like a month (minimum).

I called my brother to told him to deactivate my account in his PS3, just in case, I used to go to his house and I and play BF3 with my account so I got my progress saved. He told me (we were talking on phone as he was doing it) that he did it with no troubles and that he got the "Deactivation successful" message (or something like that).

Then I went to "account>media and devices" in the SEN website, and there I saw no systems were activated at all in my account. That makes even less sense, because that means that my PS3 system was never activated.

I told my friend to try to activate my account on his system, and he told he got the same error I did.

I'm pretty sure no one stole my account (as there are no extra systems activated, and I checked the download list and the purchase history and everything was correct), I changed my password just in case though It's like my PS3 system deactivated itself. Please help me, I just want to use the system I bought! I can't play right now most downloaded content won't work at all.

Message 1 of 3 (379 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29993 posts

Re: [HELP] My PS3 system deactivated without me doing anything!

Jul 24, 2013

You need to contact Playstation customer support about this.  You can't do that in this forum, which is not monitored by customer support.  You have to use the phone, or live chat, during business hours (https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options).

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: [HELP] My PS3 system deactivated without me doing anything!

Jul 24, 2013

In case anyone else has this error: I talked to Playstation Support and basically, you have to wait 7 days without using your account. Talking a bit more into detail, they told me that I can use the account (log in) and play online normally, but I must NOT try to download anything or activate any system, because doing so will reset the timer.

You can still use already downloaded content that doesn't require activation-verification (though I can't think of any example), playing games online that use online pass COULD work, you can always try because trying to access already downloaded content (content that is in your PS3) that has activation-verification on the worst case scenerio will throw you a message saying you need to activate your system before trying to use that content, which won't reset the timer. As long as you don't try to DOWNLOAD anything or try to ACTIVATE your system, the timer won't reset.

Message 3 of 3 (345 Views)
0 Likes