Feb 28 2012
By: ZoSo_Wizard First Son 2 posts

Friend List Limits and Organization

2 replies 33 views Edited Feb 28, 2012

I recently bought a Vita and I've got internet friends who say they are hitting the maximum amount of friends allowed at 100 people, are there plans to (vastly) expand this limit? I also want to know if there is a way to organize friends into groups so I don't have a giant list of unorganized people/strangers. I've also played around with the party function with friends, and this seems like a really good way to adapt ad-hoc to internet multiplayer but I don't see the option.

Message 1 of 3 (33 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
19614 posts

Re: Friend List Limits and Organization

Feb 28, 2012

There are no such plans.  It was suggested in the Playstation.Share blog a while ago.  There is a significant amount of overhead for PSN to manage related to friend lists, and very long friend lists would require costly performance upgrades by Sony.  Sony seems to think that 100 friends at a time is enough.  This is SEN.  Not Facebook. You are supposed to delete friends that you don't hang out with on SEN/PSN anymore.  Not accumulate them over the years. By the same token, if you don't have a really long list of friends, then you don't need to organize them. They are already organized based on who is actually signed in when you are signed in, and how long it has been since they signed in, if they are not online.  Those are the most relevant pieces of information as far as Sony is concerned.  Grouping them into folders would interfere with essential function.

The purpose of ad-hoc party is to allow PSP gamers to play ad-hoc multiplayer with people that are not within ad-hoc Wi-Fi range, using the PS3 as a remoite network bridge.

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Re: Friend List Limits and Organization

Feb 28, 2012

Good, thorough answer by gkpama00.  And, I'm sure many people have raised this matter before.  I know I thought about it.

With that said, I completely agree with ZoSo_Wizard.  It would be really nice to have a larger friends list.  I've been at the limit for awhile now.  I used to look through my friends list and then delete people I hadn't played with in awhile.  However, it got to the point that I could remember everyone on my list and just didn't want to delete them.  So, many times, I end up turning down people who ask to be online friends.

The clans in some games provide something of a substitute.  Some games allow you to send game invites to anyone in your clan, and otherwise communicate with them just as if they were a friend.  Not exactly the same, I know, but something of a substitute.

I can appreciate that there is a lot of overhead for the network to manage friends lists.  All the same, it'd be great if they could increase the limit.

This message posted by meticulousdragon.
BF3 Stats
Above image from the http://bf3stats.com/ website.
Message 3 of 3 (33 Views)
0 Likes