May 21 2013
By: dj9281 First Son 6 posts

Fast internet, until I plug it in PS3

4 replies 177 views Edited May 21, 2013

I have a wired ethernet line to my ps3. When I check the line on my laptop, I get 24 mb/s. When I test the same line on the ps3, I get 1.8 to 2 mb/s. Any ideas? Thanks

Message 1 of 5 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
33728 posts

Re: Fast internet, until I plug it in PS3

May 21, 2013

It is a common misconception that your Playstation Network download speed should be the same as your Internet connection speed.  That is exactly what it is.  A misconception.  Your Playstation Network download speed can't be more than your Internet connection speed, but it can, and often will be, less.  This is normal. The Playstation Network content is not stored in your ISPs data center, and that is the only place that your 24Mbps connection actually goes.  Your download performance to everywhere else on the Internet is limited by the slowest connection between you and the content.  Sony's ISP connection is not going to give you, or anyone else, 24Mbps of Sony's bandwidth.  As a result, you won't be able to download from PSN at much more than 12-16Mbps, and only if you are doing it during a period of low usage.  Sony's network is designed to share limited bandwidth fairly between PSN members.  Sony doesn't know, or care, how much bandwidth you purchased from your ISP.  It is irrelevant.  If you run a speed test from the PS3 web browser,  you should get performance times that are closer to the laptop, because that is a valid comparison.   

GKP
Message 2 of 5 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 9, 2017
Not helpful at all.
Message 3 of 5 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
13140 posts

Jan 9, 2017

dj9281 wrote:
Not helpful at all.

Well 24 Mbps is horrible anyway, what do expect? Get better internet.

Message 4 of 5 (44 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
849 posts

Jan 10, 2017

PS3 does "Checking" on speed for less then 1 second which is very inaccurate. Before speed checking, PS3 also does the reconnecting stuff when doing a connection test.

Wired LAN? Check network settings status and make sure it says "Wired Connection". PS3 need to manually be changed when changing between wireless and wired.

Computer with speedtest.net web page, take more then 10 seconds to speed test and is more accurate.

My results:

My PS3 connection test shows up as 42.7 Mbps download 5.5 Upload.

My computers shows 126.81 Mbps download 15.33 Mbps upload.

Message 5 of 5 (28 Views)