Sep 26 2013
By: lagrue First Son 24 posts
Accepted Solution

False Advertisement on the Playstation Network

[ Edited ]
17 replies 1178 views Edited Sep 26, 2013

At the beginning of this month I purchased the game;

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn via PSN

The game was found under the Full Games category, implying it's a full game I can play fully upon download.
Recently I have learned there is a subscription fee for this game to continue operating.  This is NOT mentioned anywhere in the product description of PSN.  I know Sony's policy is to never do refunds on electronic transfers but this is illegal and false advertisement.  I bought a full game, not a pay-to-play game.

I would like to get in contact with a Sony rep, I have been a loyal Sony fan for over a decade, I preordered the PS3 and have my PS4 preordered, as a loyal customer I beg somebody fixed this issue.  This is an insult.

EDIT: If this is in the wrong area I'm sorry, this forum is hard for me to navigate personally

Message 1 of 18 (1,178 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Re: False Advertisement on the Playstation Network

Sep 26, 2013

Unfortunately FF14 is a MMORPG, which I find to always be a safe bet that there are subscription fees involved unless otherwise stated.

Message 2 of 18 (1,155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Sep 26, 2013

You can contact teh Sony Cusotmer Services group and speak with them.  

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options/

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 3 of 18 (1,140 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 26, 2013

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=5382&kid=64539

This information was available for quite some time.

Sony is merely the distributor of this game produced by Square Enix. FF has had subscription fees since 2012 I believe?

It's your responsibility to check out a game from a developer for all content details prior to purchasing.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 4 of 18 (1,134 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30059 posts

Sep 26, 2013

There is a separate section of the Playstation Store for free-to-play games.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/free-to-play/cid=STORE-MSF77008-GAMESFREETOPLAY

I don't see Final Fantasy XIV there.  Do you?

The vast majority of MMOs have a monthly fee.  Free to play MMOs are still the exception. Not the rule. It is also common for MMOs in the west to charge for the game, and then also have a monthly subscription fee. If you don't know that, then you are remarkably ill-informed about the MMO genre.  It was unreasonably optimistic of you to assume that an MMO from Square Enix would be subscription free, without any information to support that assumption.  Your failure to do even a modicum of research before purchasing a $40 game does not constitute false advertising, or an insult, on Sony's part. The failure was yours.  You can always request a refund from Playstation customer support via phone or live chat, but you are certainly not in any way legally entitled to one.

GKP
Message 5 of 18 (1,128 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2013
People are quick to bash here. This person has a valid concern. It is the vendors responsibility to provide the information as to what is required to use the product being sold. It is called duty to divulge. It is correct that the vendor should of looked into it, but not everyone is familiar with the MMO genre (myself included). Some people just buy games because the title sound cool or they heard of it from someone etc.. There should be some form of disclosure about the monthly fees. I think he has a valid case for a refund but that’s about it.
Message 6 of 18 (1,122 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 26, 2013

FieroDough wrote:
People are quick to bash here. This person has a valid concern. It is the vendors responsibility to provide the information as to what is required to use the product being sold. It is called duty to divulge. It is correct that the vendor should of looked into it, but not everyone is familiar with the MMO genre (myself included). Some people just buy games because the title sound cool or they heard of it from someone etc.. There should be some form of disclosure about the monthly fees. I think he has a valid case for a refund but that’s about it.

Let's use a hypothetical here. Suppose you purchased a game from PSN that was completely free to play online and then ALL OF A SUDDEN 3 months later the game developer decided they were going to charge a subscription fee. Both the OP and you would still blame Sony, because "they should have told me that in 3 months the game developer was going to start charging a fee".  I have no sympathy.

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 7 of 18 (1,116 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30059 posts

Sep 26, 2013

Either you made up that "duty to divulge",  you got it from another country's laws, or you are using it outside of its proper context.  US commercial law is based on the principle of "caveat emptor", and always has been.  It is the responsibility of the buyer to understand what he is purchasing, and to determine if it is fit for his purpose, and acceptable for his use, before making the purchase. The seller is not permitted to deliberately mislead the buyer, but the seller is not in any way responsible for ensuring that the buyer has exercised due diligence, or to answer questions that the buyer did not ask.  Only in rare cases, such as speculative securities, is the seller even responsible to establish that the buyer is competent to make the purchase decision.  The information about the subscription fee was readily available from numerous sources.  Any suggestion that Sony was liable to provide all relevant information, anywhere and everywhere that the buyer might choose to look for it, is simply not reflective of US law, or practice. You never have a "duty to divulge" information that is publicly available, during a commercial transaction.

GKP
Message 8 of 18 (1,114 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2013
Sure, keep drinking the Sony Kool-Aid... Your example is out of context. Once the sale is completed, the vendor has no control over the product. the status of the product before sale that is in question here.
Message 9 of 18 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 26, 2013

FieroDough wrote:
Sure, keep drinking the Sony Kool-Aid... Your example is out of context. Once the sale is completed, the vendor has no control over the product. the status of the product before sale that is in question here.

LOL, I can almost be that you would complain that the Kool-Aid isn't the flavor you expected too.

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 10 of 18 (1,107 Views)
0 Likes