Jul 14 2013
By: pfp1935 Lombax Warrior 191 posts

FREE WIFI BOSTON

10 replies 157 views Edited Jul 14, 2013

Ok I like to cancel my internet to save a few dollars . My problem is why cant I connect to free wifi , everytime I try it gets timed out tried for over an hour with no success . I live in boston there no reason why I can't get something . Any help would be nice , Thanks ..........

photo BOSTONRED_zps198fa9ed.jpg
Message 1 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Re: FREE WIFI BOSTON

Jul 14, 2013

I'm doing this from PS3 not a computer.

Message 2 of 11 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Googling "free boston wifi hotspots" turns up a plethora of links; perhaps one of them can help you? *also on a PS3*

Yes, I am a Homestuck. DEAL WITH IT.
Message 3 of 11 (141 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

pfp1935 wrote:

Ok I like to cancel my internet to save a few dollars . My problem is why cant I connect to free wifi , everytime I try it gets timed out tried for over an hour with no success . I live in boston there no reason why I can't get something . Any help would be nice , Thanks ..........

Know that you have no control over these free wifi hot spots thus many things are out of your control [network services,] moreover, not all ports will be avaible to your system [NAT type 3]

Free Wifi hot spots are setup to be accessed in different ways:

1-Some are truly open [no password required to connect.]

2-Some require a pin/password which is given to you by the clerk or presented to you via sign on a table/wall.

3-Then there are those free hotspots that are accessed via web portal which require you to accept the prividers term of service and/or enter a pin/password.

The PS3 can connect to the first 2 but those free wifi hot spots that require you to connect via a web interface the PS3 can't connect to.

For the first 2, on your PS3, turn off Media Server and then try to connect. See if this yield any good results.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 4 of 11 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Jul 15, 2013

I'll try it with the media servers disconnected , see if that works its worth a shot . I don't have passwords or anything else hopefully I can connect to someone . So far I've been pretty unsuccessful and I'm in boston , you'd think it be a piece of cake .......

Message 5 of 11 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Still can't connect to anything I don't know why other then I may need a password or something . I got plenty that are obove 90% signal strength . What good is wifi if you can't get connected , don't think there just going to give out there password .

Message 6 of 11 (105 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17013 posts

Jul 16, 2013

pfp1935 wrote:

Still can't connect to anything I don't know why other then I may need a password or something . I got plenty that are obove 90% signal strength . What good is wifi if you can't get connected , don't think there just going to give out there password .

Yeah, especially when you're trying to get something for FREE.  Really, they should check with everyone first to ensure the FREE wifi meets your needs.  I really think it's highly unprofessional and selfish of them to make it so difficult for you.  Must be someone you can call to complain about the FREE wifi.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear ** ** two-step verification - use it **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 7 of 11 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Your advice doesn't help if that's what you call it . If you can't help me out don't post anything . With wifi you should be able to connect to something out there , why have it if it doesn't work.

Message 8 of 11 (97 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I have the same problem.

Message 9 of 11 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I'm glad it's not just me , and like bud said I would like help . If you don't have it don't post . That other post was uncalled for

Message 10 of 11 (94 Views)
0 Likes