First Son
1 posts

Re: [FEEDBACK REQUESTED] 4.25 Firmware Update Issues

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

PS3 Model: Phat, 40 GB, default HDD (CECHH01)

Internet Connection: Wireless

Updated to 4.25 from 4.21.

Before the update all was well, after the update I was playing Red Dead Redemption and the game froze. I couldn't shutdown the machine via the XMB, finally switched off physically.

Now after a restart, my Bluray discs (games) aren't recognized i.e. I insert the disk, the wait logo comes on the right top, but no disc icon appears on the XMB, also the blue light is constantly lit. I had to press eject on the PS3 panel to get it out. I later found out that none of the discs work - DVDs, Audio/Video CDs, Bluray movies - I think the drive effectively doesn't work at all, after this update. Just moments before the update, it was working very well.

Now I'm unable to play any PS3 game using its Bluray disc after updating from 4.21 to 4.25.

If Sony isn't standing up to it's reputation, it'll lose their loyal customer base slowly.

Message 551 of 728 (933 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Oct 22, 2012

Add mine to the mix.

Cech-2001a 120GB PS3

Hardline connected to modem

Just got the unit back from servicing the HDD, played for a week and a half, then updated from 4.21 to 4.25.  Unit no longer recognizes any discs inserted.  No Blue-Ray, no CD/DVD.  The one game disc that will read, NHL12, will gain error code 80010514 at failure.  Unit will download content (tested this by DL Killzone 3 Demo), and will play that content fine.  Online PS/Store PSN all work normally.

I have booted from safe mode, and attempted to fix corrupted files.  Did not work.

I have erased the entire system and rebooted.  Did not work.

Had no issues prior to the update at all. First disc inserted after downloading 4.25 and installing did not read, so it is DEFINITELY smack dab responsible for this issue.  Firmware has obviously been corrupted in relation to the lasers.

This is unacceptable, Sony.

"Ocean: A body of water on a world MADE for man.....who has no gills."
Message 552 of 728 (870 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2012

Brand New PS3 Super Slim 250GB, Wired Connection

My phatty just recently passed away RIP had it since launch! :smileysad:

Anyways, I am not sure what  I updated from (whatever shipped with the Super Slims) and I am having random disconnects from PSN. I had no issues with my other PS3 prior to this update.

Some times I can stay on for 30mins and others I can be on for 5 hours but the disconnects from PSN will happen eventually. It is like the PS3 cuts its own interent off. My modem (router/modem combo) shows that the PS3 loses its own connection and then shows up as it having an "unkown" IP Address. I have it with a static IP and ALL the proper ports forwarded per Sony's website. After 10 to 15mins OR running a "Internet Connection Test", I can then reconnect to PSN. All other devices including a PS Vita, 2 PC's, Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 have ZERO issues with my interent so the PS3 firmware is to blame.

I have seen I am not alone with this problem and I hope to see this fixed in 4.26!!!!!!!

Message 553 of 728 (828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 22, 2012

PS3 Model: Slim, 500gb, Custom HDD (CECH-2501A) Internet Connection: Wireless Updated to 4.25 from 4.21.

Ever since this update my PS3 will not even turn on with my 500gb harddrive in, but switching it down to the stock 160gb It will turn on. My internal fan also seems to be lower than usual so im afraid to even play it because it might overheat. I am also unable to enter safe mode on my PS3  everytime I try to enter safemode by holding the button I get 1 beep and another then it shutsdown before it can get to the double beep for safe mode. I contacted sony and they refuse to aknowledge the problems and presented me with a fee but I refused because everthing was fine until this update. I also take very good care of my console and barely even play it and for it to crap out after a firmware update outside of my warranty period and be told I have to pay for it to be fixed is unacceptable and wrong. If Sony doesn't think that they should right this situation then that tells me to never buy a sony product again. 

Message 554 of 728 (827 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2012

I have read the news, as I was waiting, tomorrow there will be a 4.30 update firmware for us, I don't think the bricked PS3 around here will back to life, but I hope it will solve software problems...crossing the fingers...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/21/ps3-system-software-update-v4-30/

Message 555 of 728 (784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 23, 2012

Sin6X wrote:

Sin6X wrote:

Sin6X wrote:

CECH-2001B, 250gb

Wired connection

Upgraded from 4.21

Was fine for a little while, but in game (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier) after restarting a checkpoint, the loading icon started to lag, then it eventually just froze, tried to turn it off with the power button which would normally work when games freeze and it just reboots, but it was just frozen there for a good 25-30mins. So i turned off the power switch, and turned it back on, i expected file corruption, though the message didn't prompt as it would normally for that. I noticed the game disc icon wasn't showing up, and it isn't working for any of my games or Blu-ray movies now, (DVD/CD show fine). I booted the console in recovery mode, restored the filesystem, didn't fix it, rebuild the database, didn't fix it either. I'm considering a full restore/format, but of course i'd like to avoid that. It's possible that the blu-ray laser died (i suppose), but that's just... too coincidental, and the system ran like new, never once had a disc read error, and i'm not getting any errors, it just won't load Blu-rays now.

An update to my previous, i decided to try the game again, i got it to show up once but it returned an error this time: "An error occurred during the start operation. (80010514)". The best explaination for this so far that i've found was @ http://www.ps3blog.co.za/2008/04/10/ps3-error-80010514-explained/ - Other than that, nothing else. Couldn't get it to do it again either.

Funny thing, i only went online to try and sync my trophies and noticed the update, i was playing that game for 2 days before with no issues, and the day i upgrade... :[
So, for my issue on all this, the only thing mechanical that it could be is the blu-ray lens, no biggy, i'm tech savvy. And i've replaced drives (and spoofed) them on consoles before.

I can replace the lens for $20 or the dock and lens for $30, i have model KES-450A, KEM-450AAA.
BTW I was watching movies off my PS3 HDD all night last night.
Anyways, so if you've read what i said before, THIS CAN ONLY (possibly) BE A HARDWARE ISSUE, and if i replace it and it doesn't work--
(Question to Sony): Would it be the FW or the magical Smurf inside it?
I'm obviously upset, i want to play Resident Evil 6, and i have Black Ops 2 pre-ordered for next month... luckily i also have Halo 4 pre-ordered.

Also, is it just me or does no one test things anymore? Like games too, i see betas but still have common bugs... Stop testing like donkeys... (not the one from Shrek, he's funny, and it's better than me calling you jack-**bleep**)... Try harder, sorry.
I fixed it, replaced the lens. Sorry for the um... yeah~
Message 556 of 728 (749 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 23, 2012
I have a 120 phat, updated from 4.20 with a wireless connection. I've been having massive problems with system freezes, inability to power down the system, and being forced to hard shut-down the system. Up until this point i've had no issues with anything, i have less than probabliy 150-200 hours on the system, i clean it (in an appropriate manner) fairly regularly and protect my system from severe changes in temperature and humidity. I cannot thing of a single thing that i have done to this system that would have caused the issues i'm currently having besides this update. I'd appreciate a response from PS as to when they plan on unveiling another update to fix this cluster...
Message 557 of 728 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Oct 23, 2012

AWESOME! I hope this 4.30 fixes my PS3...if not I'll be trading it for PSVita

Message 558 of 728 (719 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 23, 2012

UPDATE:

I got the predictable reply in esponse to my query regarding my issues since "upgrading" my PS3 to 4.25, which subsequently stopped the blueray and dvd optical inputs to quit.

"I can assure you that the 4.25 update is not capable of causing the errors you have listed. I completely understand how it may appear that way, considering the timing of the PS3™ having issues, however these are not able to be caused by firmware."

Is there a programmer in the world who would support this answer, specifically that firmware wasn't able to cause this...?  We all know that isn't the case.....firmware could ABSOLUTELY do exactly that.  What does this guy think firmware does, it not tell the components inside the unit what they need to do?

In my case, 4.21...fine.  Five minutes later, under 4.25... the unit won't read any discs at all, BLURAY or otherwise. Of course, now they anxiously want to fix my brick, at my expense.

I am very saddened by the predictable response.  I will be amused should update 4.30 suddenly fix both optical drives tomorrow.  Relieved, of course, but I will forward a complaint to all relevant consumer agencies, regarding the ignorant handling of my issue.

"Ocean: A body of water on a world MADE for man.....who has no gills."
Message 559 of 728 (709 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2012

I have the 320gb cech 2501-B model. original HDD. Went from firmware 4.21 to 4.25. Was in the middle of watching a movie when the picture froze. Could not power the system off at all. No response from either controller. Had to unplug it from the wall outlet. Once i plugged it back in and powered it back on. i got a green light, but no audio or video. (i use the RGB component cables, not HDMI) The HDD fan does not kick in at all like it had in the past, Being loud for a few seconds at initial start up. Pretty much it is bricked. I really hope i dont have to pay 99$ to get this fixed....

Message 560 of 728 (632 Views)
0 Likes