Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: [FEEDBACK REQUESTED] 4.25 Firmware Update Issues

Oct 5, 2012

nstntvntage wrote:

I called the 800 number and they swear it's not Firmware which is an outright lie. I finally unplugged my system because I got tired of playing the runaround game with Sony. I'm going public soon with us being left in the dark.

Could it be an interaction with third party software?  I noticed a lot of people's issues have stemmed from using Netflix.  Attitudinally; did the 4.25 update come out the same day or around the release of RE6?  Not sure.  

Not to absolve SONY, but perhaps the interaction of 4.25 and whatever version of their app Netflix is running, is causing a fault.  

Just a thought, anyone else have an idea?

I will agree it is some variation of firmware.  It is too coincidental it is happening to this many systems at the same time.

Moble

Message 441 of 728 (472 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

I have a 160 gig Slim Playstation 3. I use a wireless internet.  I believe I may have updated from version 4.20 since I don't really do optional updates. The problems I am having are the following: Blu-ray drive will not accept disks nor eject them, it's as if the drive is broken but it shouldn't happen because I just got a replacement blu-ray drive. Plus video apps such as Netflix, Crunchyroll and Youtube will NOT start. Once I start the app, the screen goes black and it stays black.... it will not load. Another problem I am having is that the PS3 will not play downloaded games/demos, it has the same issue as the apps with that it doesn't start them, the screen stays black.

Message 442 of 728 (464 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 5, 2012

@mobilesuit75 Third party doesn't cause disc read errors or drive failure. If it was just specific games, and apps that caused this then it would be the third party.  the firmware probably is unstable in some way which makes wonder if other systems that are functioning now could snowball into the same problem.

Message 443 of 728 (450 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
6 posts

Oct 5, 2012
Either the firmware bricked my ps3 along with many others and Sony isn't acknowledging it/stringing us along with promises that is being looked into or the firmware didn't do it and the system is a **bleep** that crashes after less than two years (mine was a slim, as was many others).

Regardless of which scenario is true, I've yet to regret upgrading my 360 hard drive and investing in a couple more controllers.
Message 444 of 728 (447 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Tactical777 wrote:

@mobilesuit75 Third party doesn't cause disc read errors or drive failure. If it was just specific games, and apps that caused this then it would be the third party.  The firmware probably is unstable in some way which makes wonder if other systems that are functioning now could snowball into the same problem.

I see.  Not too technically inclined, and didn't know if a bad interaction could cause an issue.  

Not everyone is having the issue either.  The only time my system froze was when I went to load the Netflix app.  After I restarted, I got the improper Shutdown / Reload Message.

I haven't tried Netflix since, and so far no issues.  I only game on the system, and only play BF3 Online.  Wasn't sure if is could be some interaction between Netflix, for the freeze issue.  Drive failures sound like something altogether, possibly mechanical.

Again, I am not too technically inclined, I have an IT guys for that.  I just do numbers, so I appreciate any tech knowledge that comes my way about this.

Moble

Message 445 of 728 (443 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 5, 2012

My only issue, at least, is my remote controller : direction is blocked to the down and right. I reinstall firmware, I backup/restore all datas but nothing fixed this issue.

I can use my TV remote controller on xmb, this one works very well and if i use my ps3 remote controller just after my TV remote controller it's working ! but that works only few minutes.

Because of that, I'm pretty sure that's an issu on firmware 4.25

Message 446 of 728 (435 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 5, 2012

250 GB Fat PS3

Wireless Connection

Update from 4.21

Issue: Blu ray movies and games wont play.Traditional  DVDs play just fine.

Message 447 of 728 (432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012
FROM SMEAZDIZY:

I just wanted to let everyone know a few important things.

First, I too have been experiencing freezes and crashes, corrupted data etc. Sony said they were aware of it and hopefully fix it soon with a future update. yeah whatever, I wont hold my breath. I have tried all of the safe mode crap, uninstalling/re-installing games to no avail.

Second, after troubleshooting the heck out of it and finally formatting my HD wiping it clean and its still messed up I came to a few conclusions.

DO NOT format your HD as it wont solve anything and only wastes your time.  

My HD is not corrupt and or fried even though it says it is. If it were I wouldnt be able to format and have the functionality, although limited, that I do.  TRY DEACTIVATING BOTH GAME AND VIDEO under account settings, shuting down, rebooting in safe mode, and running the restore HD function 3. Then reactivate both the game and video. This alleviated most of my problems except netflix which will still make my system crap itself everytime upon running it.

IT IS the operating system that is bugged and corrupted, Firmware 4.25, which will keep you in a "loop" saying your HD is corrupted and causing freezing issues and whatnot. This will only go away when there is a non bugged firmware released assuming it wont be broke either.

You see, when you do a full format, it wipes EVERYTHING from HD like it came out of the box EXCEPT FIRMWARE 4.25, thus the problem, at least in my case, is narrowed down to it being the problem. I called sony only to tell them and they said they are collecting data and working on a fix, fully acknowledging to me something is wrong with the update.  Only problem is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which machines are affected and what functions, so I feel they prob wont correct it for a while as it seems complicated. This is apparent being that they are asking for everyones help on these forums describing what system and issues they are having.. I would hold of paying to have your system "fixed" if you feel it was update 4.25 because it is likely in most cases to be the OS that is corrupt and needs fixed.

------------------------------------------------

I'm having the EXACT problem you're having, exact description. So don't worry, your BluR isn't dead. It is this damned firmware.

Message 448 of 728 (419 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Message 449 of 728 (416 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Sin6X wrote:

Sin6X wrote:

CECH-2001B, 250gb

Wired connection

Upgraded from 4.21

Was fine for a little while, but in game (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier) after restarting a checkpoint, the loading icon started to lag, then it eventually just froze, tried to turn it off with the power button which would normally work when games freeze and it just reboots, but it was just frozen there for a good 25-30mins. So i turned off the power switch, and turned it back on, i expected file corruption, though the message didn't prompt as it would normally for that. I noticed the game disc icon wasn't showing up, and it isn't working for any of my games or Blu-ray movies now, (DVD/CD show fine). I booted the console in recovery mode, restored the filesystem, didn't fix it, rebuild the database, didn't fix it either. I'm considering a full restore/format, but of course i'd like to avoid that. It's possible that the blu-ray laser died (i suppose), but that's just... too coincidental, and the system ran like new, never once had a disc read error, and i'm not getting any errors, it just won't load Blu-rays now.

An update to my previous, i decided to try the game again, i got it to show up once but it returned an error this time: "An error occurred during the start operation. (80010514)". The best explaination for this so far that i've found was @ http://www.ps3blog.co.za/2008/04/10/ps3-error-80010514-explained/ - Other than that, nothing else. Couldn't get it to do it again either.

Funny thing, i only went online to try and sync my trophies and noticed the update, i was playing that game for 2 days before with no issues, and the day i upgrade... :[
So, for my issue on all this, the only thing mechanical that it could be is the blu-ray lens, no biggy, i'm tech savvy. And i've replaced drives (and spoofed) them on consoles before.

I can replace the lens for $20 or the dock and lens for $30, i have model KES-450A, KEM-450AAA.
BTW I was watching movies off my PS3 HDD all night last night.
Anyways, so if you've read what i said before, THIS CAN ONLY (possibly) BE A HARDWARE ISSUE, and if i replace it and it doesn't work--
(Question to Sony): Would it be the FW or the magical Smurf inside it?
I'm obviously upset, i want to play Resident Evil 6, and i have Black Ops 2 pre-ordered for next month... luckily i also have Halo 4 pre-ordered.

Also, is it just me or does no one test things anymore? Like games too, i see betas but still have common bugs... Stop testing like donkeys... (not the one from Shrek, he's funny, and it's better than me calling you jack-**bleep**)... Try harder, sorry.
Message 450 of 728 (480 Views)
0 Likes