Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: FEEDBACK REQUESTED 4/16 PlayStation Store Delays

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

Supreme_Entity wrote:
This IGN article surprisingly said it best:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/17/dear-sony-please-fix-the-playstation-store

Just some quotes from the article...

"for six years running -- Sony can’t update the PlayStation Store at a consistent time. Ever."

Seems to be true. As much as I had to admit it, coming from Xbox, Microsoft seems to have and have had a solid schedule on updates and on a *personal note, I can't remember a time when they were late in publishing their store updates on Xbox Live.

"How hard can it be to be forward facing, consumer first and consistent?"

Sony, we are not just your "FANS", we are your "CUSTOMERS". Sometimes it's not only us that depend on your Day 1 Digital program, which I believe is pretty far ahead of the competition of 'Microsoft' considering their largest storage medium is 320 GB. They just can't compete. Not only do we look forward to it, but so do publishers/developers as well. They are looking to capitalize on the sale of possibly a big AAA title and when you can't deliver on a new game release Tuesday, that looks bad in the consumer's eyes as well as video game companies.

As far as updates go for downtime, the least you can do is just talk to us. Having 12+ hours of silence actually speaks volumes. I have to say that Xbox Support on Twitter pumps out info at what seems like every 10 to 15 minutes regarding downtime and Sony barely whispers anything. See what I'm getting at?

With Sony prepping everything for the PS4, how do you think people will react with the constant issues you're having now with updates thinking if they purchase a PS4, they'll have the same issues?!

You can't forget about Steam. I can play my Steam game on my Desk Top PC, my Laptop and on my 47" 3DHDTV LED also. I've got plenty of HDD space on my gaming PC. 

I can't remember the last time there was a delay or that an update made me have to wait when using Steam. Steam ROCKS when it comes to running their service. So yeah... Sony could take some notes from the competition.

Message 141 of 149 (269 Views)
Sackboy
480 posts

Apr 18, 2013

I remember hearing on the PS Blogcast that the reason we don't have strict store update times is because you guys like to give extra time for indie guys. While that train of thought is understandable, when a work day starts... do you tell everyone else to wait for a late employee? I understand that you guys probably don't want to end up with the XBL slot system either but you guys need to find better solution than what we have right now.

I always get the feeling most of the time indirectly that the PS Blog and NA Store team are severly undermanned and that just doesn't make sense.. the PSN store is a huge component of the experience and needs to be supported as such. I also think that releasing an indie game late and allowing the rest of the store to update on time isn't the end of the world as it can be updated a few minutes later. You guys should do your own version of Nintendo Direct, I think the great thing about it is that it is a game publisher speaking directly to the customer and that is certain something where PlayStation is lacking.

Not to mention the ton of features that are yet to be added such as gifting, changing PSN ID names, upgrading a secondary account to a master account, wish lists, Update section on the Store for patches (PS Vita), better browsing of the download list (You guys indentified this as a feature you guys wanted to add back in October and has yet to make an apperance), preloading, having games up at midnight, automatically downloading games on PS3 when purchasing games on the webstore.

Message 142 of 149 (254 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Apr 18, 2013

You guys should read this, it may have been posted before but these are the problem you guys need to fix. We the ps people need to not let other console providers laugh at you. These are all my problems in an article not written by me, I would like someone to read them.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/17/dear-sony-please-fix-the-playstation-store

Ive been with ps for along time, and that will never change, but you guys have more potincial then you give yourselfs credit for.

Message 143 of 149 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Apr 18, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

Supreme_Entity wrote:
This IGN article surprisingly said it best:

Just some quotes from the article...

"for six years running -- Sony can’t update the PlayStation Store at a consistent time. Ever."

Seems to be true. As much as I had to admit it, coming from Xbox, Microsoft seems to have and have had a solid schedule on updates and on a *personal note, I can't remember a time when they were late in publishing their store updates on Xbox Live.

"How hard can it be to be forward facing, consumer first and consistent?"

Sony, we are not just your "FANS", we are your "CUSTOMERS". Sometimes it's not only us that depend on your Day 1 Digital program, which I believe is pretty far ahead of the competition of 'Microsoft' considering their largest storage medium is 320 GB. They just can't compete. Not only do we look forward to it, but so do publishers/developers as well. They are looking to capitalize on the sale of possibly a big AAA title and when you can't deliver on a new game release Tuesday, that looks bad in the consumer's eyes as well as video game companies.

As far as updates go for downtime, the least you can do is just talk to us. Having 12+ hours of silence actually speaks volumes. I have to say that Xbox Support on Twitter pumps out info at what seems like every 10 to 15 minutes regarding downtime and Sony barely whispers anything. See what I'm getting at?

With Sony prepping everything for the PS4, how do you think people will react with the constant issues you're having now with updates thinking if they purchase a PS4, they'll have the same issues?!

You can't forget about Steam. I can play my Steam game on my Desk Top PC, my Laptop and on my 47" 3DHDTV LED also. I've got plenty of HDD space on my gaming PC. 

I can't remember the last time there was a delay or that an update made me have to wait when using Steam. Steam ROCKS when it comes to running their service. So yeah... Sony could take some notes from the competition.

My apologies.  You are absolutely correct about Steam, though I meant to make a direct comparison to Microsoft and the Xbox, as I feel that Sony is in competition with them, and not directly with Steam. The largest storage medium on an Xbox console is 320 GB, and with a PS3, you can go as large as you want (whatever is the largest at the moment). I have a 1 TB in my PS3 at the moment. Microsoft, again, in my opinion, isn't capable of doing Day 1 Digital program on the scale of Sony, even with the popularity of Xbox Live simply because there just isn't enough room on most people's Xbox 360 console compared to Sony's PS3. 

If the largest HDD you can get on an Xbox is 320 GB and on PS3 is 500 GB, then you can see Sony is clearly pushing this. My original point though is that with the delays Sony is having now, it's starting to make their Day 1 Digital program meaningless and hurting developers.

TL;DR - I agree with you completely on the Steam comment; direct comparison of Sony vs Microsoft storage mediums - 320 GB vs up to 1 TB (or more on PS3), Sony is the clear winner, but they need to step it up and prevent delays.

Message 144 of 149 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Apr 19, 2013

While the PlayStation Store has been fixed, I basically can't say the same for the freezing issues that still remain within most PS3 consoles, including my own... Smiley Indifferent

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 145 of 149 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1413 posts

Apr 19, 2013

On the issues of late store updates and lacking communication.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Gaming died with the PS2
Gaming in 2016 is a casual scrub's dream
Thank you for ruining a once great hobby
Message 146 of 149 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 19, 2013

MetaKraken wrote:

While the PlayStation Store has been fixed, I basically can't say the same for the freezing issues that still remain within most PS3 consoles, including my own... Smiley Indifferent

Well, it's back online, but I wouldn't say it's been fixed Smiley Wink

When they get it to the point where I can actually consistently download content without getting corrupt-data errors (the 80029564 error), then maybe I'll agree it's fixed.

As for PS4 - I already regret buying a PS3 after only a week. The PS3 has been around for years, yet basic problems remain unfixed (like the 80029564 error). 

And it's not even something that's hard to fix on their end. Yet, they've let the problem persist for years and have done nothing about it. I guess they got their money, so who cares, right?

So no way I would buy a PS4. 

Message 147 of 149 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Apr 19, 2013

Supreme_Entity wrote:
I meant to make a direct comparison to Microsoft and the Xbox, as I feel that Sony is in competition with them, and not directly with Steam.
Sony is the clear winner, but they need to step it up and prevent delays.

Sorry, I was busy yesterday. Wife was home.

I've been gaming since before dirt was created, and I have to say unfortunately "Console Wars" aren't entirely "Console Wars" anymore. My games buying on console have slowed to a trickle since I got on Steam, only buying exclusives and Vita games.

And if we look at this from a purely HDD/storage point of view, then Sony completely loses in my eyes, since I'm using it for the Vita and the cards they have for it are not that large and are expensive IMHO. Fortunately I'm not looking at it, from this POV.

When you have something like Steam that you buy entirely digitally to your PC (with great HDD space available), a service that now has "Big Picture" mode to allow larger font on your HD set, does updates in the back ground, maintenance is seamless, have sales unlike any I've see anywhere else, has 4 pack deals allowing you to basically get the 4th copy free, can play with m/kb or a controller, etc, etc...

I think it's hard to ignore them, and I only brought them into this because this is a thread about maintenance and updates to a digital store. Which is exactly what Steam is/does. So I personally feel the are very relevant and that Sony could learn from them, even if they aren't a console. Though they do have the Steam Box coming out later this year.

So again looking at what this thread is about (maintenance and digital store updates, not who has the bigger HDD), I believe Sony could learn a thing or two from both MS and Steam and are not the clear winner, especially with the next systems coming out. After all I'm pretty sure MS hasn't said how big their HDD will be for it.

I hope the above doesn't come off as me being hostile towards you or anyone that doesn't agree with it. Just my take on Sony and digital distribution, maintenance and store updates. MS and Steam do it better. I look forward to seeing what Sony learns from this and them fixing it.

Message 148 of 149 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
19 posts

Apr 20, 2013

@Playstation @Grace Chen @Morgan Haron @ Kaz Hirai @Mark Cerny @Jack Tretton @Andrew House @Yoshida

Dear Playstation Family and Investor Gamers and Partners:

First at all I want to say that I am a big fan of Sony. But I am very dissapointed with the actions of Sony Playstation and his lack of efficiency. The lack of knowledge and lack of creative, inovation and implementation in features. Being a multi millonary dollar company I think they should invest more on a good software team to manage situtations like this.Sony must establish a schedule for the actualization of the PS Store. Make a partership with Google and steam to implement good features and advice. Implementation of great apps that have IOS and android. Constant actulization of the apps. Good browser experience with Google Chrome o Firefox .Look the big companies that are having sucess right now (Google, Apple, Samsung) and look very closely to Microsoft with its Xbox and its features. Sony have a very strong point and is his first party studios. But with Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica And Polyphonogy Sony are not going to win the console war. We apreciate patnership with Quantic Dream , TGC and Superbot. It’ time to star creating a good ecosystem and a social platform desired of the loyal gamers of Sony.

Please implement a trade system for game and money.
Every time that come a new game released a avatar pack and a dynamic theme.

http://www.psu.com/a019153/PS4-needs-a-better-PlayStation-Store---Heres-10-ways-to-start

Message 149 of 149 (131 Views)
0 Likes