Highlighted
Jul 26 2011
By: NimbusToast18 First Son 31 posts
Accepted Solution

Do I need to deactivate my PSN account if I replace my hard drive?

8 replies 2597 views Edited Jul 26, 2011

I know that I'm allowed to download all my content like DLC and games on 5 different systems. A couple days ago I formatted my hard drive due to corrupt data, and was told to deactivate my PSN account so I did. Then reactivated after it. Does deactivating it kind of like, "use up" one of the systems, meaning I only have four systems to download my DLC onto now? Or does deactivating prevent that from happening? Someone please explain to me how that works... but anyways, my hard drive is pretty much dead now and my PS3 is malfunctioning and I had corrupted data more than once, so I'm replacing it with an external 1TB hard drive. Should I deactivate my PSN account before I replace my hard drive? Also, does anyone know if it's ok to leave the "dead" hard drive inside the PS3 without taking it out, since my new hard drive is an external one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Message 1 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Re: Do I need to deactivate my PSN account if I replace my hard drive?

Jul 26, 2011

I don't know about the deactivation part, but if you are planning to just plug in an external drive via USB as a replacment, that's not going to work.

Message 2 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Jul 26, 2011

why not? I know I have to format the hard drive on my computer first and things like that, I found some place where they have instructions so I don't see how it wouldn't work.. are you saying I need to remove the current hard drive first?

Message 3 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 26, 2011

NimbusToast18 wrote:

why not? I know I have to format the hard drive on my computer first and things like that, I found some place where they have instructions so I don't see how it wouldn't work.. are you saying I need to remove the current hard drive first?

Using the external drive as an external drive (USB) will not work.

But if you are planning on using the external drive, with wires hanging out of the systems internal drive bay, so the system thinks the external drive is an internal drive, that should work fine.

Otherwise, through the USB ports, the system will use the external drive only for storing media (pictures, music, videos) and system backups and copies of gamesaves. You wouldn't be able to install anything like games or DLC to the external drive.

Message 4 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 26, 2011

NimbusToast18 wrote:

I know that I'm allowed to download all my content like DLC and games on 5 different systems. A couple days ago I formatted my hard drive due to corrupt data, and was told to deactivate my PSN account so I did. Then reactivated after it. Does deactivating it kind of like, "use up" one of the systems, meaning I only have four systems to download my DLC onto now? Or does deactivating prevent that from happening? Someone please explain to me how that works... but anyways, my hard drive is pretty much dead now and my PS3 is malfunctioning and I had corrupted data more than once, so I'm replacing it with an external 1TB hard drive. Should I deactivate my PSN account before I replace my hard drive? Also, does anyone know if it's ok to leave the "dead" hard drive inside the PS3 without taking it out, since my new hard drive is an external one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You've five activation slots.

When you activate a system, it takes up one of those activation slots, leaving you with four available.

When you deactivate, it releases that slot, taking your count back up to five.

As far as formatting, you shouldn't need to deactivate a system if you are formatting or replacing the HDD.  The system itself is the same, and it should recognize the system as one already activated.  It will not hurt to deactivate first, though.

Message 5 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Jul 26, 2011

Oh.. and I'm guessing it isn't easy to trick the PS3 into thinking that the external one is the real hard drive, right? Oh well. Do you know by any chance if the Target 3 year extended warranty would be able to give me a hard drive replacement?

And I still have 4 slots available then, right? I only deactivated and then reactivated once

Message 6 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 26, 2011

NimbusToast18 wrote:

Oh.. and I'm guessing it isn't easy to trick the PS3 into thinking that the external one is the real hard drive, right? Oh well. Do you know by any chance if the Target 3 year extended warranty would be able to give me a hard drive replacement?

And I still have 4 slots available then, right? I only deactivated and then reactivated once

Unfortunately, I do not know if Target will give you a new HDD.

I would just buy a new one.  Not too expensive. Can get 500GB HDDs for less than $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605%20600030594&IsNodeId=1&name=50...

And yes, you should still have 4 slots available, since you are dealing with only one system.

Message 7 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Jul 26, 2011

Thank you very much for the link, that saved me a lot of time   do all of those hard drives work for the PS3?

Message 8 of 9 (2,597 Views)
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 26, 2011

NimbusToast18 wrote:

Thank you very much for the link, that saved me a lot of time   do all of those hard drives work for the PS3?

They all should.  Some may not (if they are 12.5mm in drive height).  The Western Digital ones are pretty popular, and those will fit.

I'm a fan of Hitachi myself.

There are larger drives, too, and you can check Amazon to see if they have better pricing, or if it works out better for you.

Message 9 of 9 (2,597 Views)
0 Likes