Aug 08 2012
By: undr_line First Son 3 posts

Do I need PSN to use my PS3?

[ Edited ]
5 replies 125 views Edited Aug 8, 2012

In light of today's error, where I can still go online, but can't connect to the PSN, and a recent scheduled maintenance that seemed to take like six hours or more, I'd like to know if there's a way I can just play the games, get into Netflix/Amazon, etc. without being required to sign in to the PSN.  Really, is it necessary?  I can see if I select an option that takes me to the Playstation Store, but requiring sign in to use almost all online media is ridiculous.  Good thing I've got offline movies and stuff, otherwise the machine is bricked when the PSN goes down.

Message 1 of 6 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Re: Do I need PSN to play online games?

Aug 8, 2012
Uh, yes it is necessary. PSN operated before trophies existed, it's the online infrastructure for the PS3. What you're basically asking is "Do I have to be online to play online?" lol.
Message 2 of 6 (121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Uh, no. I'm online, just not signed into their network. Please explain this "online infrastructure" you speak of. At heart, the modern gaming console is a computer. Don't tell me it can't connect to Netflix directly. I'm relatively certain that it does connect directly, and just shares information with the PSN. Now, if there's a technical reason that content can't be displayed, I'd like to know that reason. Right now, I'm under the impression that it's an agreement between content providers and SOE "if you want access to our users, you gotta go through us."
Message 3 of 6 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Let's make this super simple:

You have a game

That game supports online play

The online play is hosted through the PlayStation Network system

To play said game, you have to be logged into PSN directly.

Same thing with Steam

Same thing with Xbox Live.
Message 4 of 6 (114 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: Do I need PSN to use my PS3?

Aug 10, 2012
Without being signed in, you can't access the online component of games, browse the PS Store, or view your friends list. I'm in Canada, so we don't have Amazon on PS3 yet, but I can confirm that Netflix will work when you are not signed in to the PSN.
Message 5 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Re: Do I need PSN to use my PS3?

Aug 10, 2012

no only for online access but if you want to play online then yes

SP.
Message 6 of 6 (93 Views)
0 Likes