First Son
2 posts

Re: DNS error 80710102 resolved

Apr 18, 2008

I was having this same problem as all u guys, I tried everything u said and it still didnt work. I had all the details typed out and then this peice of s*!t comp deleted it, so I'll give u a short version...

I wasnt able to fix it, and i had tried everything that was said in this fourom, even bought an acess point signal extende (a good one too) and put it right next to the ps3, giving a 100% signal strength, manually typed IP, etc, etc. I rang up the sony help line and the woman there got me to move the ps3 out and set it up right next to the main router. And it worked like a charm, no problems. I asked her about the access point range extendr and she said that they havent been tested by sony to work with teh ps3 (only in theory). She said that the ps3 needs a CONSTANT 85% or more signal strenght to work, and that even a short break or drop in signal below 85 will result in connection errors(i.e. DNS). She told me that she had a ps in her work space where she worked which was running on wireless net, and that when she took it into the next room (which then meant there was a single brick wall between the ps3 and the router) that the signal strenght dropped down to 47% (which would result in connection termination. This is one very likely explanation for the DNS errors, as she said that many range extneders ( i was using a belkin range extender and main router) arent able to provide this constant signal (which is fine for laptops, but not a ps3). This would also explain why that other guy who posted earlier was able to get his working by using a specific brand of signal extender (his must provide a constnat signal, whereas other ones might not be able to). A signal interuption, even briefly, during the PS3 net conneciton tests, will show up with this DNS error. This explained why my one wasnt working, as there are a number of brick walls in between the router and where i used to have the PS3. 

This isnt the best solution, as in many cases, such as mine, its impractical to have ur ps3 right next to wherever u have ur wreless router.

If u have this DNS error, try moving ur ps3 and setting it up right next ot the router (RIGHT NEXT TO IT, I found having just a printer between the 2 stops the signal from time to time). If it works perfectly when set up there, then that may well be the solution to ur problem. After all this mess, I think I'll try wired connections from now on.

And also if that doesnt work, I had heard that many cordless phones (home phones) transmit on the same freq as the ps3 wireless connection (I think its 2.4ghz), so that also maybe something to take into account....

Hope that helps....

Message 71 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Apr 23, 2008
All I had to do was unplugg my wireless router and cable modem box for 15secs then once I plugged everything back in I went to network settings and re-established my wireless connection once done I got the promt that my ps3 needed to be updated.  Simple fix for me. 
Message 72 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Apr 24, 2008
yes. same for me. i had that problem today when i tried to access the store. I just went in to the network settings and let my ps3 set up my connection again and it works fine.   kinda weird
Message 73 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 25, 2008

i have the 20 version of ps3

please help me i am plugging in my computer to the ps3 and i dont know how to set it up someone please replay

Message Edited by jollyrancher705 on 04-25-2008 04:54 PM
Message 74 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 3, 2008

i had the same problem, all i did was scan and find my wireless connection, put everything to automatic, so it would automatically find my ip, and then put these DNS servers in:

Preferred DNS Server:   208.67.222.222
Alternet DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

Peace...

Message 75 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 16, 2008
this is complete BS i have a wired connection to my ps3 through my D-LINK router and nothing wrong happened then one day i went to go on and play GTA 4 and it wouldnt connect to the server so it sbeen like this for a week and ive honestly tried everything from trying mannualy , to even restoring my ps3 TWICE (one quick , one full) that process also deleted all of my saved files ( including my 95% completion through GTA4 ) if any one can help it would be very much appreciated also the ps3 support is **bleep** you go through half an hour of that stupid voice  only to wait another 30 minutes to get a hold of a customer service representative.. these new consoles **bleep** up to much / i went through 6 xbox 360's since the launch 2 ps3's and 1 wii / i keep good care of my games and consoles so its not me.
Message 76 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 18, 2008
hey there, i'm having the same problem..i get the dns error 80710102..The obtaining ip works but internet doesn't and how do u make upnp available and nat type become type 2? my upnp's not available and nat type-failed..pls help, thanks
Message 77 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2052 posts

May 18, 2008

read2achieve wrote:
hey there, i'm having the same problem..i get the dns error 80710102..The obtaining ip works but internet doesn't and how do u make upnp available and nat type become type 2? my upnp's not available and nat type-failed..pls help, thanks

the 80710102 error is that the ps3 cant retrieve the dns1 and or dns2   which is the ip address of your  internet service provider   (isp)   do a manual connection on your ps3  and manually enter the info you can obtain your dns1&2,subnet mask, gateway  simply by going on your routers status page or on your computer  by clicking start ,then click run and in the run box type    cmd  or command and hit enter  a black window will open and in that window type     ipconfig/all       hit enter    look down the list and write down all  that you need

Message 78 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Re: DNS error 80710102 resolved

May 18, 2008
you need to get the wirless to scan it and if you get 30 percent none you click to save settings then you test it youtube would work to seee videos
Message 79 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 19, 2008

so i got my network to work.... i have a d-link router and they have a restart button on the back i hit that and it somehow worked .. i dont knwo how long it will work for but so far better than none its worked for a couple of days now so i keep hopin it will work / if any of you use a d-;ink router and are getting the same problem then try the restart button

Message 80 of 379 (89 Views)
0 Likes