I am having this issue exactly. If I set everything to automatic, it fails when checking the IP address. After going through manually entering everything exactly as I found it in ipconfig/all but changing the IP address to the one I opened all the ports for, I am obtaining an IP address but failing the internet connection with the resolving name with the server message (80710102) being displayed. I have been at this for hours now, bouncing back and forth between Linksys, my ISP and Sony and still not getting any further than I got myself!
Hmm, did the 1.90 update using a memory stick and now I can't even get past the IP address. This is pretty sick. Further, been waiting a couple hours for an "advanced tech" to get back to me to trouble shoot more than what the first girl could do with her generic scripts.
My router is a linksys WRT54G. I still have yet to connect wirelessly, but by running a cable through the entire house I was able to connect with no issues whatsoever. Still not able to connect wirelessly though. Going to try the above suggestion though.
This is what I did, I have a Cable Modem and a WiFi Link USB connector.
After I setup my WiFi Link program with my cable modem I did the following.
1. I made sure that my firewall wasn't blocking my program WLAN(WiFi Link) and made sure it allowed access to it.
2. Went under my network connections and located my Cable Modem connection and my WiFi Link wireless connection icons.
3. I think right clicked on my Cable Modems icon(which is called Local Area Connection on my PC) and went to ''Properties''. Once I was under ''Properties'' I highlighted my connection(Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click ''Properties.
4. I think made sure to have the first option ''Obtain An IP address Automatically'' to be check marked. At the bottom half I check marked the option ''Use the following DNS server addressess'' and used the following DNS addresses from OpenDNS.com:
Preferred DNS Server: 220.127.116.11 Alternet DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
Then clicked ''Ok''.
5. I then went back to the Local Area Connection Properties and clicked on the ''Advanced'' tab and under Internet Connection sharing made sure both options were check marked. Then after that was completed,before clicking Close, I went up to Settings under ''Windows Firewall''.
6. I then went to the ''Exceptions'' tab and made sure my WL Utility was allowed and was an exception and once I had set that as an exception I then clicked on the ''Advanced'' tab. Where you can choose to make exceptions for your internet connections.
7. My options to change/update exceptions for were:
Local Area Connection Wireless Network Connection 8
* Making sure I have first my Cable Modem(Local Area Connection) box check marked I clicked on ''Settings'' and made sure the following things were check marked as exceptions/allowed.
DHCP(67) TCP DHCP(67) UDP DHCP(68 TCP DHCP(68) UDP DNS DNS FTP SERVER UPnP TCP and UDP
*Note* This is just what I did, not sure if its mandatory or even neccessary for anyone else, but since doing this I havent had any problems**
Once finished I clicked Ok and then clicked Close back in my Cable Modems Properties.
8. I then went to my Wireless Connections Icon and right clicked it and clicked ''Status'' and got its IP Address and subnet mask. After that I re-right clicked it again but this time I went to properties.
I made sure the ''Use the following IP address'' was checked and entered my Wireless connections(WLAN program aka WiFi Link) IP address and its subnet mask. Following that right below it I entered the same Preferred DNS server and Alternet DNS server that I did for my cable modems DNS options.
I then clicked Ok after I was finished and then turned on my PS3 and went to connect.
Two options I did to connect were for Obtaining IP address and automatically had PS3 detect it and Manually do it myself for the DNS server and then tested my connection and bingo I was connected and havent had trouble since.
I do not know if it will work the same for anyone/everyone, I just posted this because it worked for me to get my wireless going. If it helps someone then im glad, but if not then at least you had a good read lol