Jun 23 2011
By: Sobia6464 Lombax Warrior 264 posts

DMZ: MAC Adress vs IP?

3 replies 1388 views Edited Jun 23, 2011

My DMZ setup for my Linksys router gives me two different options.  It says I can enable it for an ip address or I can input the MAC address of whatever I wanted to set up the DMZ for.  Is there a difference between the two?  Does it matter if I have a DMZ set up with my PS3's MAC Address as opposed to setting up a static IP on my PS3?  Just curious.

Message 1 of 4 (1,388 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Re: DMZ: MAC Adress vs IP?

Jun 23, 2011

First post reserved for updates/edits

Message 2 of 4 (1,388 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jun 23, 2011

Sobia6464 wrote:

First post reserved for updates/edits

You can edit your first post.  Use the link to the far right, under the Actions box.

A MAC address never changes, as it is a physical number burned into the network adapter (just go with it).

An IP Addresses changes depending on the DHCP lease the router gives out.

In most cases, your home network devices shouldn't be changing IP Addresses, because they should be connecting often enough to continually renew the DHCP lease.

But if you assign the DHCP to the IP Address your PS3 has (and your PS3 gets the IP Address via DHCP from the router) then if you leave it off long enough, and another device turns on and gets that IP Address, that device would then be DMZ'd.

But using the MAC address of your PS3, you insure it keeps the DMZ no matter what IP Address it has.

Another way is by manually assigning the PS3 an IP Address, or by using a router's DHCP features to automatically assing a "static" IP Address to your PS3, and then use that IP Address for the DMZ.

Since you used the MAC address, only your PS3 should ever get that DMZ setting.

Message 3 of 4 (1,388 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Jun 23, 2011

First off, my computer'sscreen resolution is for the blind so I never checked the far right and feel bad now...

Secondly, I am aware of all of that, and from your view it appears that setting up a DMZ with the MAC is better then creating a Static IP for the PS3 and setting the DMZ up that way.  So it does not matter which way I set it up?  Just double checking.

Again, thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 4 (1,388 Views)
0 Likes