Feb 10 2012
By: kuney00 First Son 2 posts

DLC sharing between master and sub accounts

13 replies 14808 views Edited Feb 10, 2012

We recently bought a PS3 and I set myself up as a master account and my son as a sub account.  How do you share DLC for a given game between sub and master accounts?

Message 1 of 14 (14,808 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39135 posts

Re: DLC sharing between master and sub accounts

Feb 10, 2012

The DLC should be available to you both in the game, which game are you having issues with?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 14 (14,808 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28047 posts

Feb 10, 2012

DLC can't be shared between any two PSN (now SEN) accounts.  Master and sub-accounts are no exception to this rule. Sub-accounts have no ability to download Playstation Store purchases made by their master account, and the master account has no ability to download content purchased by its sub-accounts. However, BRIT-KO is correct that once DLC is installed on a PS3, generally all of the login profiles on that PS3 can use it.  It makes no difference whether the other PSN accounts on the PS3 are sub-accounts or master accounts. If the DLC is restricted to the account that purchased it (avatars, for example), then sub-accounts of that account can't use it.  If the DLC is not restricted, then anyone can use it on whatever PS3 it is installed on.

GKP
Message 3 of 14 (14,808 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Specifically, my son has WWE12 and he unknowingly put the activation code in for online access under my account and we can't re-enter the code under his account to give him access.

Message 4 of 14 (14,808 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39135 posts

Feb 14, 2012

kuney00 wrote:

Specifically, my son has WWE12 and he unknowingly put the activation code in for online access under my account and we can't re-enter the code under his account to give him access.

Hmmm, sorry gkpama but I read your response above & now I'm more confused because your response mentions using separate PS3's, something the father & son are not as far as I know doing, so I think this has muddied the waters somewhat, so my view remains in that the DLC should be available to your Son even though he has a Sub-Account & without having to re-enter a code, something that can't be done anyway, a code is a once-only deal, have you tried to access the specific DLC, if so what happens?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 5 of 14 (14,808 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
28047 posts

Feb 15, 2012

kuney00 wrote:

There is nothing that can be done about the first code in this case.  According to SNEI policy, it is the customer's responsibility to redeem codes under the PSN account that is to use the content.  If you make a mistake, then you would have to buy another code from the Playstation Store (look under add-ons for WWE12), in the same way that you would if you had purchased the  game used. The typical price for this type of code is $10.

GKP
Message 6 of 14 (14,808 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Really???!!!! So what your saying is that there no true sharing for the master and sub accounts! So creating a subaccount truely doesnt matter! What Sony has done as well as the game publishers, have found a way to make the customer pay for products twice! And dont tell me you can still use the master account dlc because you cant! After creating a subaccount, the games DLC that were used on the master account doesnt even acknowledge the subaccount nor does the game while playing on the sub! Stating and showing that you have to buy the DLC again! Just like the publishers Sony is becoming greedy! So the new PS3 that we just bought for our son is going back and I will remember this when the new system comes out! 

Message 7 of 14 (12,248 Views)
MVP Support
28047 posts

Jun 3, 2013

I don't think that you understood what I wrote.  Sub-accounts can't download content that the master account purchased, and vice-versa; but that doesn't mean that you have to buy it twice.  For Playstation Store games, downloadable add-ons, and videos, generally once the content is installed on the PS3, any user of the same PS3 can use it.  It isn't necessary for each user of the PS3 to download and install the content.  You can only install it once anyway.  Some purchases such as avatars, subscriptions, and online multi-player add-ons are usable only by the PSN account that purchased them.  Sub-accounts are no exception to this.  The item is for one user.  Period. It isn't "greedy".  It is just a different way to charge for the content.  The advantage of per-user purchasing is that you can use the item on an unlimited number of PS3s that you have your PSN account on.  If the item is not charged per-user, then you can only download it to the two PS3s that you have activated under your PSN account.  One isn't necessarily better than the other. They are different, and one may be better than the other depending on the situation.

GKP
Message 8 of 14 (12,222 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Brit replied without yellowish orange text.. mind is blown.

photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 9 of 14 (12,209 Views)
MVP Support
28047 posts

Jun 3, 2013

It shouldn't be.  That post is 15 months old.  He didn't always do that.

GKP
Message 10 of 14 (12,203 Views)