Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 02 2011
By: i_smith10 First Son 2 posts

DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!!

2 replies 26 views Edited Oct 2, 2011

Ok so i have fiber optic internet meaning i have no modem it comes straight from the wall. My internet is running to my wireless netgear router and my ps3 is giving me the nat type 3 message when i test the connection, now i've forwarded all the ports on my router, i've put my ps3 in a dmz, and still nothing!!! This is starting to bug me cause i can't connect to half of my friends during cod or other online games. can anyone help at all?

Message 1 of 3 (26 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14837 posts

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!!

Oct 5, 2011

O.k. First of all, you do have a modem.  It is just built into the network access box that the ISP gave you.  From your perspective the modem serves an an adapter between the outside network cable, and the Ethernet cable that you need to connect to devices in your home.  Focus on your router.  I assume that you are successfully using this router with your PC or other devices, and therefore have established that it isn't the router or ISP equipment that is causing the problem.  You shouldn't need to do port forwarding.  That is only provided in the router for older devices that don't support Universal Plug-and-Play (uPnP) for NAT.  You don't normally need port forwarding for the PS3.  Just make sure that uPnP is enabled in both the router configuration, and the PS3 Network Settings. Similarly, a DMZ is only needed if you want to keep the router's firewall enabled to protect the rest of your home network, but can't get the device to work through the firewall.  You should need that for the PS3 either. If you could not connect to anyone during online games, then that is probably a network configuration problem. If you only can't connect to some of them, then it is probably not a problem with your local network; which is why none of the things that you have tried worked. The network can only be configured one way at a time.  You don't change it based on who you are playing with.

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP!!!

Oct 5, 2011

Your correct about my router i am successfully using it with my laptop andn my desktop. Getting back to my original problem, before i did all of the modifications which a playstation representitive suggested i do, my ps3 was still picking up nat type 3, and i still can't connect to my friends like i did before i moved (i switches ips as well to a fiberoptics provider) I haven't tried chatting with anybody but i bet if i did it would be subpar instead of full strength. It's just fustrating cause my router is a NETGEAR wireless with the newest firmware update, with upnp enabled and it even gave me the option of opening my NAT on the router homepage. I've tried everything i can think of. I'm just hopeless at this point, being that i have alot of lag in games like blackops and madden, and i often get kicked from games due to bad connection to the host.

Message 3 of 3 (26 Views)
0 Likes