Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 12 2013
By: AceofSpadesX313 First Son 22 posts

Connection issues while PS3 and Xbox are on at the same time but not at different times. HELP.

3 replies 148 views Edited May 12, 2013

Hi PS3 community, I am having a hard time playing the Playstation Network while the Xbox is online. The issue happened when I bought my Xbox 360 Halo Edition just a few days ago and I connected it immediately to my router. Now when I play Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (or any other game) on my PS3 while the Xbox is connected to the internet simultaneously, I have a NAT Type Moderate instead of Open. When the Xbox and the Playstaion are online at the same time the Xbox has an Open NAT Type. However, when the Playstation is connected to the Playstaion Network while the Xbox is not connected to the internet, I have a Open NAT Type. My Playstation method of connectivity is wired while as the Xbox is wireless. I have tried everything from portforwarding to DMZ my Playstation console but with no success. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ace

Message 1 of 4 (148 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14795 posts

Re: Connection issues while PS3 and Xbox are on at the same time but not at different times. HELP.

May 13, 2013

Someone posted something about this problem a while back, but I have a PS3 and an XBox on the same network; and I have not seen any problems connecting with either one.  There are other people that do also, and it is rare for anyone to report a problem with this.  What do you mean by an "Open" NAT?  Normally if you are using a NAT router then it will either be Moderate, or Strict, depending on how much port filtering is in place.  Open NAT basically means that you have no NAT at all, but then you could not have two devices connected to the Internet at the same time; unless your ISP issues multiple IP addresses per customer, which is very rare for residential Internet service.

GKP
Message 2 of 4 (135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Re: Connection issues while PS3 and Xbox are on at the same time but not at different times. HELP.

May 14, 2013
Open NAT type indicates that your connection is free of connection interruptions such as the other computer devices which are connected to a single network. In the game Call of Duty Black Ops 2, I have a Open NAT Type. If the Xbox and the PS3 are connected to the router at the same time, however, the PS3 gets Moderate NAT Type while the Xbox gets Open NAT Type. My PS3 settings has a NAT Type of 2, which is all I need for gaming. But my Xbox keeps interrupting my PS3's connection in the game Black Ops 2, making me have a weaker connection.
Message 3 of 4 (110 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 14, 2013
What's likely happening, and it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if MS implemented this, is that the XBOX is being given a higher priority on your network than your PS3 is. If your router is at all new, then it should have the ability to prioritize connections on your network so that the PS3 is given the highest priority with regards to network traffic and everything else is given a lower priority by the router.
Message 4 of 4 (104 Views)
0 Likes