Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 30 2013
By: OmegaDL50 First Son 5 posts

Cannot purchase online pass for Shift 2 Unleashed

10 replies 1913 views Edited Mar 30, 2013

I just bought the Limited Edition of Shift 2 Unleashed today and my copy did not come with an online pass, so I decided to just buy it on the PSN Store.

However the PSN Store doesn't even have it for sale. Trying to buy it through the in-game menu just provides an error message "There are no items you can purchase at this time"

I do hope this is eventually resolved because without the online pass, I cannot get access to the Limited Edition content, not to mention not being able to play online.

I would hope this is fixed soon.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (1,913 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29011 posts

Re: Cannot purchase online pass for Shift 2 Unleashed

Mar 30, 2013

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

All NEW games, both disc & digital come with the online pass included, which do you have?

Also if the game is new then there is no need to purchase a new online pass, if there was no code then just returrn the game for a replacement.

The error message you're getting is a little strange, which country is the game from & in which country do you reside/is your PSN account?

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (1,910 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14369 posts

Mar 30, 2013

The pass for the limited edition content is not available in the Playstation Store.  If it was, then it wouldn't be "limited".  Anyone could buy it.  Where did you buy this new copy that did not include the code?  Was it factory sealed, or just shrink wrapped?

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (1,906 Views)
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

The copy I have is a disc based copy of the game. I bought it second hand from my cousin so I knew I would need to buy the Online Pass via the PSN Store, the problem is the Online Pass for this game isn't even available for purchase. I don't mind spending the extra money to buy the online pass.

I own a NTSC U copy which is for North American PSN accounts.

EDIT : To add as additional information, The LE content wasn't voucher based, As the actual disc art itself is says Limited Edition printed on it http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/246377-5/Shift_2_Unleashed_DVD_NTSC_CD.jpg  (Also refer to new / sealed copy unboxing videos, as the only code is for the online pass which from what I understand is interchangable for both the standard and LE versions of the game)

As for that error message, here you go.

Shift 2 Online Pass Error.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (1,688 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29011 posts

Mar 31, 2013

So as gkpama has kindly indicated, the Limited Edition items are not available for download or purchase, they were supplied with the dosc game & because the disc is used those otems have already been used to, so it is just the online pass you require.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (1,275 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 1, 2013

Okay this is getting rediculous.

I just bought the digital version of Shift 2 Unleashed on PSN assuming it came with the online pass. Nope.

Now I wasted $20 in the hopes I'd get the online pass by buying the PSN release.

I really hope this is fixed. The fact this game has online features and requires the online pass for these features to even function properly and one cannot get one by any means I see as a glaring flaw that definitely needs to be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (1,016 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14369 posts

Apr 1, 2013

Digital versions of Playstation games don't have online passes.  The purpose of an online pass is to charge buyers of used games to use the online features of the game.  Playstation Store games can't be purchased used, so they don't need online passes.  The downloadable version of the game comes enabled for all online functions. It doesn't have a pass code that you can use with a different account, or copy of the software. You should have asked us if that would work before you did it.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (999 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 1, 2013

I find what you say odd because when I purchased the digital version of NfS Most Wanted (2012) I had to download both the digital game and the online pass seperately.

I have several other Full PS3 titles as digital purchases in which both the game and the online pass were in two seperate downloads.

If I must I will upload photos of my account transaction and download history to prove this.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (993 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14369 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

There is sometimes an online pass file that needs to be downloaded with the game, if it was designed as a retail release, but it is still unnecessary.  The developer just didn't bother to change anything for the digital download. But in that case the online pass is tied to the account at the time of purchase.  It isn't delivered as a code, and it can only be used with the game that it was purchased with. Essentially the code is automatically redeemed for you when the game is purchased.  What is the point of buying the game used, if you are going to then buy the game new in order to get the online pass code?   Those online passes are the type that can be purchased after the fact for a used game anyway.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (981 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

The issue is the that the online pass itself is not available purchase on it's own as is. You can go to the online pass section on the PSN Store and the Online Pass for Shift 2 Unleashed is unavailable. Also trying to buy this pass via a menu within the game says the content is unavailable for purchase.

So without being able to purchase an online pass, the point is moot. I cannot play online anyways, because if I could purchase the online pass via PSN to begin with, I wouldn't have needed to create this support topic in the first place.

Until a PSN update comes that makes this currently unavailable content as available again, I'll just have to wait I suppose.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (975 Views)
0 Likes