Jan 25 2013
By: lDropDead Lombax Warrior 132 posts

Can you take someone's abandoned gamertag?

[ Edited ]
6 replies 1074 views Edited Jan 25, 2013

I noticed a lot of original names( gamertags without numbers or Xx, etc) are abandoned. You can tell by sending them a friend request.

Just wondering if calling sony would deactivate them so we can use the name.. 

I know it seems unlikely but what do you guy's think? 

Message 1 of 7 (1,074 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Re: Can you take someone's abandoned gamertag?

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

lDropDead wrote:

I noticed a lot of original names( gamertags without numbers or Xx, etc) are abandoned. You can tell by sending them a friend request.

Really? How? Because they don't reply? Maybe they just don't respond to random friend requests.

Either way they aren't going to be deactivated by Sony. What if those people decide to log in on them after they've been "abandonded" for a couple years? They aren't entitled to their paid for content now because you want the name?

Message 2 of 7 (1,062 Views)
MVP Support
39457 posts

Jan 25, 2013

lDropDead wrote:

No, you can't do this.

Also as ne1 said just because someone doesn't respond to a friend reuest doesn't mean the account is no-longer used.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 3 of 7 (1,054 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

Jan 25, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

lDropDead wrote:

Really? How? Because they don't reply? Maybe they just don't respond to random friend requests.

Either way they aren't going to be deactivated by Sony. What if those people decide to log in on them after they've been "abandonded" for a couple years? They aren't entitled to their paid for content now because you want the name?

Sending a message would also help. Look at their profile check if they have any trophies, profile color, or if they have a new avatar. If they don't have any of this things then it's likely it's been abandoned since PS3 launch. 

Message 4 of 7 (1,051 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28768 posts

Jan 25, 2013

lDropDead wrote:

No.  Sony does not do that, ever.  Just because they aren't using their PSN account now, that doesn't mean that they have "abandoned" it.  Sony has no way of knowing if the account owner doesn't want the account anymore, or if they are just busy playing (or doing) something else.  Surprisingly, some people have more than one gaming system, and some people even have other things to do besides play video games. Sony isn't going to spend any time figuring it out either.  If someone claimed the name first, then you can't have it, ever.  PSN members are not required to sign-in regularly in order to keep their accounts, and they are certainly not required to respond one way or the other to friend requests.  They just have to maintain a current e-mail address in their account information. I'm pretty sure that is the case on Xbox Live also.  I'm not sure why you would think that it is different on PSN.

GKP
Message 5 of 7 (1,045 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

lDropDead wrote:

No, you can't do this.

Oh, I was just curious. It's no big deal. But there a lot of forgotten accounts out there, I thought maybe sony would deactivate them after a certain amount of time. I rember when I first created my gamertag I wanted DropDead but it was taken then I tried lDropDead but that one was also taken? I ended up with Dropdeadll, after awhile I lost that one had it for 3yrs(don't ask how) I tried lDropDead again and it was available!? That's why I was asking 

Message 6 of 7 (1,042 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
28768 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Sony reserves the right to delete inactive accounts, and may do so if the account was never used to purchase content or play online.  Sony will not do so on request however.  You would just have to wait and see if the name becomes available as a result of some cleanup process.

GKP
Message 7 of 7 (1,025 Views)
0 Likes