Reply
Jul 20 2013
By: TheOats First Son 4 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

7 replies 394 views Edited Jul 20, 2013

So I'm trying to log in to my old PSN account on a new PS3, but everytime i fill in the login information and date of birth, "it" just sends me an email to reset my password. Every time! I have tried to log in with 3 different passwords now and it just keeps sending those emails.

What is going on? How do I get past this?

Message 1 of 8 (394 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18880 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

Jul 20, 2013

|Welcome to the PlayStation Community Forums.

 

You must be selecting the "forgot password" option. All you are require to use your existing account on a new PS3 is your account login credentials [email & password]

 

You cannot sign in under a different user account [system account (not a PSN account)]

 

Make sure you create a New User

On the XMB: Users/New User

 

Under the new users then you can login using your existing SEN/PSN account.

On the XMB: PlayStation Network/Sing Up for PlayStation Network

 

A new panel will open [img below] and make sure to select "Use an existing account"

 

Singup Page

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 8 (370 Views)
First Son
Registered: 07/20/2013
Offline
4 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for welcoming me. 

 

But you are wrong, I have not been selecting "forgot password". I have ben doing exactly what you just suggested. And everytime I get to the part where I fill in my birthday and click continu, I get a screen saying that they are going to send me an email so that I can reset my password. At that point I can click "confirm" or "cancel". If I click cancel the email does not appear in my inbox, and if I click confirm it does.

 

Message 3 of 8 (362 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18880 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

Jul 20, 2013

TheOats wrote:

Thanks for welcoming me. 

 

But you are wrong, I have not been selecting "forgot password". I have ben doing exactly what you just suggested. And everytime I get to the part where I fill in my birthday and click continu, I get a screen saying that they are going to send me an email so that I can reset my password. At that point I can click "confirm" or "cancel". If I click cancel the email does not appear in my inbox, and if I click confirm it does.

 


Sure no problem. Now don't be a stranger to the community Smiley Happy

 

I find this to be an odd behavior. Throughout my experiences with the PS3 system I've pass through the process of signing in with an existing account more then a couple of times and all that is required is the PSN-account's Sign In ID (email) and the password. Once successfully entered, you have to wait for a system prompt confirming that your account is now associated to that PS3 system. There are no age verification nor anything like that.

 

With that said, I hold a master account. If you hold a sub-account then the process should be different. If your account happens to be a master account then please do take the time to contact SONY support about this matter.

 

PHONE 800-345-SONY
Mon - Sun 6:00AM - 10:00PM Pacific


[option to txt chat]
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 4 of 8 (359 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/20/2013
Offline
4 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

[ Edited ]
Jul 20, 2013

I am not sure what the diffeence is between "master" and "sub" accounts is. I didn't even know that there where different types of accounts. 

Message 5 of 8 (354 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18880 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

Jul 20, 2013

TheOats wrote:

I am not sure what the diffeence is between "master" and "sub" accounts is. I didn't even know that there where different types of accounts. 


If you don't know the difference then most likely you hold a master account.

 

 

«quote»
Master Account vs Sub Account

There are two types of Sony Entertainment Network accounts, Master Accounts and Sub Accounts.

Master Accounts

  • Master Accounts are the standard type of account used on the PlayStation Network.
  • Master Accounts can be created by registered users of the PlayStation Network of a specified age or older.
  • Master Account holders can adjust parental control settings such as monthly spending limits or restrictions on voice / video chat for associated Sub Accounts.

Sub Accounts

  • Sub Accounts will be created based on the age of the account holder. Users under 18 will automatically be creating a sub account.
  • Sub Accounts must be created in association with a Master Account.
  • Some sub account activities can be monitored by the associated Master Account holder.
  • Sub account holders cannot create wallets but can make use of the associated Master Account's wallet to pay for products and services.
  • The settings of a Sub Account can be initially set up when the Sub Account is created and later edited by the associated Master Account.
  • Once a subaccount is created, it cannot be changed to a master account even if the account holder becomes older than 18 years old.
  • Click here to learn more about Parental Controls for Sub Accounts.

Click here to learn how to update account settings on a Sony Entertainment Network account.


------------------
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/242/kw/sub%20account
«/quote»

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 6 of 8 (351 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/20/2013
Offline
4 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

Jul 20, 2013

HOLY COW! The "issue" (which was me) has been solved. This is going to make me sound like an idiot, but you where right the first time. I had been pressing the "forgot passowrd" button just like you said. I just hadn't actually reat what that button said. =P After filling in the sign in ID and password I just jumped down and clicked the big button on in the middle of the screen really fast without stopping to read it. Of caurse the button I needed to press was on the bottom of the screen.

 

Sorry for wasing your time, and thanks for the help.  

Message 7 of 8 (347 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18880 posts
 

Re: Can't log in to PSN, only getting "password reset emails".

Jul 20, 2013

TheOats wrote:

HOLY COW! The "issue" (which was me) has been solved. This is going to make me sound like an idiot, but you where right the first time. I had been pressing the "forgot passowrd" button just like you said. I just hadn't actually reat what that button said. =P After filling in the sign in ID and password I just jumped down and clicked the big button on in the middle of the screen really fast without stopping to read it. Of caurse the button I needed to press was on the bottom of the screen.

 

Sorry for wasing your time, and thanks for the help.  


 

Smiley Very Happy No problem. Silly things like this happens to all of us.  Glad to be of help Smiley Wink

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 8 of 8 (344 Views)
Reply
0 Likes