Aug 27 2013
By: mldardy First Son 4 posts

Can't get wired connection using two powerline adapters to work

4 replies 240 views Edited Aug 27, 2013

I have two TP-Link powerline adapters: one connected to my router and the other connected to my PS3 in my basement.  I also use the PS3 media server program on my pc. I put in the IP address which the same as my pc's IP address except the last number of that address is one number below or above my pc's IP address.

I then go to Internet connection settings on my ps3 and setup an custom connection using the IP address from the PS3 media server. I also put in the submet, default router(which I think is the default gateway.  I test the connection and it completes step 1 by establishing the IP address but the internet connection fails. What am I doing wrong? Is my adapter setup wrong, is there something on the PS3 media server program on my pc that needs to be configured? I need assistance on what I'm missing.

Message 1 of 5 (240 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5580 posts

Re: Can't get wired connection using two powerline adapters to work

Aug 27, 2013

Perhaps this wired connection troubleshooting guide may prove of assistance:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285/

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 2 of 5 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Aug 28, 2013
You should get your basic network functions working before messing with the media server stuff.

Message 3 of 5 (220 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21193 posts

Aug 28, 2013

Why are you setting up the addressing manually?  Your router should support DHCP by default.  If you configure the PS3 to use DHCP also, then it will be configured for the network automatically.  The PS3 finds the media servers via broadcasts, so there is no need to configure the media server manually either, as long as it grants access to the PS3 (or everything).

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
4 posts

Aug 28, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

Why are you setting up the addressing manually?  Your router should support DHCP by default.  If you configure the PS3 to use DHCP also, then it will be configured for the network automatically.  The PS3 finds the media servers via broadcasts, so there is no need to configure the media server manually either, as long as it grants access to the PS3 (or everything).

So are you saying in the Internet connections I should connect everything automatically?

Message 5 of 5 (210 Views)
0 Likes