Aug 03 2013
By: adrianvon First Son 10 posts

Can't find similar problem, PSN store gave me wrong region game?

6 replies 152 views Edited Aug 3, 2013

I've been digging around the forum for a bit.. and posting randomly being bored Smiley Very Happy but, I picked up like.. 7 psn games earlier, most of them are working great.. no problem, but one of the games I got - legasista, seems to have given me the wrong region of the game? All the text is in english, but the voices are stuck in japanese with no english voice option Smiley Sad and I'm on the NA store.  I'm not really sure how that could have happened.. I double checked the PSN listing and it didn't say anything about no english voices or japanese voices only.. So it must be the wrong title Smiley Sad

Is there any way to get it to update to the right one? or to swap it back for the right one? I'm trying to figure this out.. I really, really want to play it.. but I have the ps3 set up on my tv, have vision issues as it is, and can't read the text from where it's at, or I would just play it anyways lol.  I don't want to have to pay another 30$ to get ANOTHER copy of it and delete that one.. I'm hoping one of the mods has a suggestion? anything would help, thanks.

This is the first time I've had this issue with over 600$ in psn content and over 60 disc games.. even the star ocean "international" I ended up with luckily had the english voice options Smiley Happy Almost had bad luck there.. hahah. 
Appreciate your help in advance, thanks.

Message 1 of 7 (152 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40610 posts

Re: Can't find similar problem, PSN store gave me wrong region game?

Aug 4, 2013

You didn't get a game from the wrong region.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/cid=UP1063-NPUB30860_00-HDDBOOTLEGASI001

If you look at the pictures shown in the link above taken from the online store, I'm assuming similar pictures if not identical ones are shown on the 'regular' store too, it clearly shows subtitles.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 7 (146 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Aug 4, 2013

yep. I saw the subtitles. Like i said it's definitely in english as far as the text goes (which I've played TONS of games that still took the time to sub out all the text as well, especially when it's simulated cut-scene / chat bubbles..), but the problem is the VOICE language. I can't find a way to change that at all, I'm pretty sure it gave me the wrong one. 

And uhm.. if it didn't, where's the full disclosure on what I'm buying? Shouldn't I be notified that it only has japanese voice over in an english speaking country, for circumstances such as this - where I can't read text more than about 18" from in front of my face? (my vision is about 780/20 with astigmatism) So, even with glasses at best i get blurry text over a few feet even if i squint Smiley Sad I figured at 30$ this game would at least have english voiceover if you're putting it in the ENGLISH psn store, is that too much to expect?

Message 3 of 7 (143 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40610 posts

Aug 4, 2013

adrianvon wrote:

yep. I saw the subtitles. Like i said it's definitely in english as far as the text goes (which I've played TONS of games that still took the time to sub out all the text as well, especially when it's simulated cut-scene / chat bubbles..), but the problem is the VOICE language. I can't find a way to change that at all, I'm pretty sure it gave me the wrong one. 

And uhm.. if it didn't, where's the full disclosure on what I'm buying? Shouldn't I be notified that it only has japanese voice over in an english speaking country, for circumstances such as this - where I can't read text more than about 18" from in front of my face? (my vision is about 780/20 with astigmatism) So, even with glasses at best i get blurry text over a few feet even if i squint Smiley Sad I figured at 30$ this game would at least have english voiceover if you're putting it in the ENGLISH psn store, is that too much to expect?

I can see where you're coming from, at least to an extent anyway, but to be honest this was/is a Japanese import game & unfortunately not all of the developers or Sony whoever makes these decisions take the time to do the voice-over thing, they add Subtitles which is cheaper & quicker to do.

You're not the first person I have come across who has mentioned this & so bearing that in mind I do have do agree that it would be nice if it did state in the description that there are subtitles throughout the game.

BRIT-KO

Message 4 of 7 (137 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 4, 2013

yeah, that would be nice - I just spoke with live support, and they put in a request for a refund for me.. They said some games do have that text included with them (I haven't seen that personally? but I've yet to buy any imports honestly..I guess this is one of those situations that will probably stray me from them..), Naturally, since it is the US store, I just assumed that any assets included with a game would be localized for this region or denoted otherwise..

The rep did point out that all sales are final, so I might not get a refund and I have to wait 5-7 days to see Smiley Sad I'm mostly just hoping they do refund me just so I don't have to go through the trouble of a lawsuit, but either way I attached a nice note to my feedback pointing out the lacking legalities, and that they really need to update every game with any foreign assets to reflect that in the purchase information, or remove the "all sales are final" part of the contract.

There always has to be remedy for a consumer to be made whole if they're deceived or confused about something due to the outlet failing to provide information.. I personally feel that's what happened here.. I mean sure, I could have got up, went to my pc, taken the time to look up the game, and find out (possibly) if it had english voice overs.. But to be honest - that wasn't even something I was thinking about.. Up until this point, I've never encountered this problem.. I guess digital games are different.. Every disc based game I've ever bought even if it was imported to the US at some point, was localized in the process for english language.

Unfortunately though, there's a commercial law that prevents that sort of behavior as well, the Lanham Act of False Advertisement - which one of the protected items is directly spelled out as:

false designation of origin, false or misleading description of fact,

or false or misleading representation of fact, which in commercial
advertising or promotion, misrepresents the nature, characteristics, qualities,
or geographic origin of his or her or another person’s goods.

So hopefully this will ensure that in the future products have better notation as to the nature of the product and included assets in the game.   But, I'm not about to write off 30$ either Smiley Tongue so hopefully they're willing to side with me on this one, otherwise I'm taking sony to civil court for 30$. lolol.

Overall the staff/forum/moderation people are great to talk to.. Now let's just hope whoever that issue was escalated to is part of the same awesome group of people, cuz that means they'll just refund it, and add notes to all the games that need them without any hassle Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 4, 2013

Also, like I mentioned to the live support rep - it's rather interesting that this is the first high priced PSn game I've bought (the rest were between 4-15$ each, for the MP games, retro city rampage, rampage, bomberman, etc.. all those lovely titles) and the funny part is, this is the first one that DIDN'T have full english localization.  Strange, isn't it?  I find it rather silly that a company would release a game in the US regions, and price it so high (I'm guessing fairly close to their original price, or something), without taking a hit on the cost to localize it all the way..

Sony really should have a requirement for the sake of it's fans/gamers, that devs aren't allowed to charge that much for imports if they're going to Halfass it on the localization and just try and pocket our money, at sony's frustration (dealing with issues like this one.)

Message 6 of 7 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
40610 posts

Aug 4, 2013

All sales from the PS Store are indeed final & refunds are not usually given.

As for a lawsuit, good luck with that lol!!

BRIT-KO

Message 7 of 7 (129 Views)