Mar 02 2012
By: GoldenEgg Lombax Warrior 108 posts

Can't connect to hotel wifi?

22 replies 11679 views Edited Mar 2, 2012

I'm currently travelling for work and am at a hotel with free wifi.  In order to use the wifi, you first need to connect and then open a browser to authenticate.  It works fine on all my devices, but not the Vita.  The Vita will connect to the access point, but gets continuous proxy errors in the web browser, so it can't authenticate.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour?

Message 1 of 23 (11,679 Views)
MVP Support
11926 posts

Re: Can't connect to hotel wifi?

Mar 2, 2012

I'd check with the front desk to see if there is an alternate HTML-only method of authenticating.  Sounds like their login system may be using custom java or flash protocols that the Vita doesn't recognize.

Message 2 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 2, 2012

I can understand your suggestion miht work. However, I have been to 2 hotels and 2 airports since purchasing the Vita (I actually had it shipped to my hotel). I have not been able to get on the wifi with it. Every one of those places required a browser redirect to complete the login.

This 2012. This is the PS Vita, it it supposed to be 'part of your daily life' Part of my daily life in 2012 does not require me to try to perform numerous workarounds with a hotel staff that has no idea what browser redirect means.

This is supposed to be an elite brand new gaming, social netwroking, entertainment device that hardware wise is impressive, and my 2 year old cell phone and 1.5 year old laptop have no problem connecting to wifi where this not even one month old device cannot connect. 

I shouldn't have to perform a workaround, Playstation really dropped the ball here. I currently have a high end device that is little more to me currently than the newest PSP.  I never bought a PSP. The Vita impressed me with the hardware, the new features, the extras in the OS.

In theory I can actually put my Android phone down for a few minutes and enjoy watching netflixs on something with a decent personal size and better battery life, or talk to people on facebook etc.

I hope Playstation will issue an upgrade to the browser to correct this issue because it is a severe handicap on this otherwise potentially awesome device, I don't know yet because all I can do is play games . . . .

Message 3 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13861 posts

Mar 2, 2012

jaynitan wrote:

I can understand your suggestion miht work. However, I have been to 2 hotels and 2 airports since purchasing the Vita (I actually had it shipped to my hotel). I have not been able to get on the wifi with it. Every one of those places required a browser redirect to complete the login.

This 2012. This is the PS Vita, it it supposed to be 'part of your daily life' Part of my daily life in 2012 does not require me to try to perform numerous workarounds with a hotel staff that has no idea what browser redirect means.

This is supposed to be an elite brand new gaming, social netwroking, entertainment device that hardware wise is impressive, and my 2 year old cell phone and 1.5 year old laptop have no problem connecting to wifi where this not even one month old device cannot connect. 

I shouldn't have to perform a workaround, Playstation really dropped the ball here. I currently have a high end device that is little more to me currently than the newest PSP.  I never bought a PSP. The Vita impressed me with the hardware, the new features, the extras in the OS.

In theory I can actually put my Android phone down for a few minutes and enjoy watching netflixs on something with a decent personal size and better battery life, or talk to people on facebook etc.

I hope Playstation will issue an upgrade to the browser to correct this issue because it is a severe handicap on this otherwise potentially awesome device, I don't know yet because all I can do is play games . . . .

In other words, you can use the main function/purpose of this device.

The browser isn't perfect. Nor is it meant to be. The Vita is a gaming device first and foremost, everything else is extra. Browser is not their priority right now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
873 posts

Mar 2, 2012

The browser might not be their priority but Jaynitan is right that this severly handicapps the device.  The browser is needed to connect to the wifi hotspot in almost all hotels.  If you can't connect, then online games aren't going to work, remote play won't work, Netflix, Facebook, Near, etc...

This functionality doesn't exactly match up with the slogan "Never Stop Playing".   The PSP was able to connect to these hotspots, it is not excusable that the Vita cannot.  They have to fix this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 23 (11,679 Views)
Splicer
89 posts

Mar 2, 2012

It isn't the Vita that is the problem, It is the hotels wifi. You can't blame the equipment that you own. If it is a redirect issue doesn't it bring in the website and you can just hit the continue button? I used to have an issue with some of the hotels I went to with my iPhone. Obviously launch the browser continue/accept terms then you should be set to go. It will then recognize the Ip and everything else should be connected. This is the way I have always done it.

Message 6 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 2, 2012

GoldenEgg wrote:

I'm currently travelling for work and am at a hotel with free wifi.  In order to use the wifi, you first need to connect and then open a browser to authenticate.  It works fine on all my devices, but not the Vita.  The Vita will connect to the access point, but gets continuous proxy errors in the web browser, so it can't authenticate.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour?

The PSP has an option, when setting up and saving settings for an access point, to open the browser for authentication before continuing. Does not the PSVita have this option?

Message 7 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 3, 2012

imupindis wrote:

It isn't the Vita that is the problem, It is the hotels wifi. You can't blame the equipment that you own. If it is a redirect issue doesn't it bring in the website and you can just hit the continue button? I used to have an issue with some of the hotels I went to with my iPhone. Obviously launch the browser continue/accept terms then you should be set to go. It will then recognize the Ip and everything else should be connected. This is the way I have always done it.

No. It is the Vita. I had the same issue at work. One time it did this, the other time it worked for some reason. Even when it did connect properly, I could use the browser, but psn wouldn't work properly at all.

Message 8 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Mar 3, 2012

I had the same thing happen but I closed the browser and opened it back up and it worked. I think it has something to do when you put in the access code. Try it. I did it like 2 times this week at different hotels and it worked.

Message 9 of 23 (11,679 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 3, 2012

I got it to work this morning, by connecting with my laptop first and writing down the URL used for the authentication redirect.  I manually browsed to that page on the Vita and was able to authenticate.

The redirect is where it was failing, no matter what I did.  At least I was able to find a work around.  Sony definitely needs to fix this though.  I also found the same problem at other local wifi hotspots, so it's no specific to this hotel.  There's a common type of redirect which simply isn't supported by the Vita browser.

Message 10 of 23 (11,679 Views)