Feb 25 2013
By: Ian-Y-2013 First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

Can I use PSN Wallet to buy D&D: Tactics?

[ Edited ]
4 replies 248 views Edited Feb 25, 2013

I got a copy of the PSP game Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics for free. I played it and had it completed. Overall, it's not bad. So I decide to buy one to support the developement.

So far, all purchase options I could find on the internet require credit card. For some reason, I cannot buy it by using credit card. I can only buy it by using PayPal.

I saw this information which said that PSN Wallet could be funded by using PayPal. However, I couldn't find Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics after a search on the PSN Games website. Does that mean Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics cannot be bought by using PSN Wallet?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (248 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13065 posts

Re: Can I use PSN Wallet to buy D&D: Tactics?

Feb 25, 2013

Ian-Y-2013 wrote:

. Does that mean Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics cannot be bought by using PSN Wallet?

Yes.  That is what it means.  The PSN wallet can only be used to buy games that are in the Playstation Store, and Dungeons & Dragons : Tactics is not one of those games.  You can buy it on disk from Amazon, but I wouldn't bother.  The game has been discontinued for years, so even if you buy a new copy now; the publisher and developer won't receive any more money.  It is too late to make a purchase to support the developer of the game.  The decision about the game's financial success, or lack thereof, was made years ago; and won't be changed by any sale today.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (213 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013

Thank GKP. Yet there is still one thing I don't understand. Since the copyright of Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics belongs to the publisher and developer, why can't they receive any more money when people buy the game today?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (208 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13065 posts

Feb 26, 2013

Because the publisher only actually gets money when it ships manufactured copies of the game to a distributor.  It gets paid a fraction of the list price up-front for those games, and then it is the retailers' problem to sell them, for whatever price they can get. The game isn't being manufactured anymore, so the publisher, and by extension the developer, has already been paid all of the money that it will ever get for the game.  There are a few new copies still floating around in the secondary market, but those are private or retail sales.  The publisher and the developer have already been paid for those copies, and don't care what happens to them now.  Only early sales, that drive more production runs of the game, make more money for the developer and publisher. 

If the publisher decided to make the game available in the Playstation Store, then it would get most of the money from sales of those downloaded games; but it would have to invest part of the money that it already made on the game to publish the game in the Playstation Store, and bet that it made enough additional money from sales in the Playstation Store to make a profit.  Given the mediocre Metacritic score of the game, and the lackluster sales of the UMD, that probably isn't a good bet.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (202 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 26, 2013

I see. Thank you so much, GKP! I appreciate your help and explanations!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (199 Views)
0 Likes