Mar 24 2014
By: Super-LeGod First Son 1 posts

Can I connect my PS4 to my iPhone to get an internet connection?

[ Edited ]
25 replies 97229 views Edited Mar 24, 2014

Hi All,

I am currently living in student accommodation and the intent speed is terrible. 

But I do have really good 4g connection on my phone.

I want to use this with my ps4 but anytime I use a wireless hotspot connection I get terrible lag.

Is it possible to connect an iPhone to a ps4 directly and use it for an internet connection?

Thanks.

edited title for better clarity. For more information: Please see. Thanks! GuardianBelle

Message 1 of 26 (97,229 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: A direct wired iPhone hotspot connection to ps4

Mar 24, 2014

Super-LeGod wrote:

Hi All,

I am currently living in student accommodation and the intent speed is terrible. 

But I do have really good 4g connection on my phone.

I want to use this with my ps4 but anytime I use a wireless hotspot connection I get terrible lag.

Is it possible to connect an iPhone to a ps4 directly and use it for an internet connection?

Thanks.

No. Not possible.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 26 (97,215 Views)
Wastelander
654 posts

Re: Can I connect my PS4 to my iPhone to get an internet connection?

Mar 24, 2014

You can Wifi tether your PS4 to your phone.  Most methods for iPhone require jailbreak, but there are methods which do not, if you're willing to put in the effort to enable the feature.

Message 3 of 26 (97,189 Views)
Fender Bender
3423 posts

Mar 24, 2014
I've tethered my iPhone to a friends PS3 before. It may not have been the fastest connection, but it did work. My phone is not jail broken either. You have to watch though as some phone companies or plans have certain rules when it comes to tethering. This is not an efficient way of getting internet on your PS3 either.
Message 4 of 26 (97,184 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11370 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Wifi tether works perfect with my Vita to iPhone5s... I don't see why it wouldn't work for the PS4...
Message 5 of 26 (97,166 Views)
MVP Support
11370 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Keep an eye on your data usage, though... a single game download will blow out most data plans.
Message 6 of 26 (97,164 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2014
The iPhone's hotspot feature may work but there could be NAT issues or other problems. I know for sure you can do it through a PC. But it requires running the iPhone to the PC with the USB cable and running the PS4 to the PC with an ethernet cable. Then using the PC's connection sharing to set up the connection. There are YouTube videos that'll walk you through it.

As mentioned though, I wouldn't use it for actual downloads. Playing isn't too terribly bad for data usage but updates and downloads will be a killer. You could still kill half a gig or more a night just gaming online though if you're not careful (heavy gamer).
 photo jermwarfare.png
Message 7 of 26 (97,156 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Mar 25, 2014

The people who say this is not possible are incorrect, unless you have an old iPhone (you said you have a solid 4G connection so that means you have at least an iPhone 5).  It is completely possible and is a feature built into the iPhone 4 and above.  Your wireless carrier has to support it though and people with older, unlimited data accounts often have this feature either locked or the carrier wants you to pay more to enable it (normally an additional $30-$40 a month).  I have an iPhone 5 under a tiered Verizon data plan and it's free.  Then again, my data is capped at 4GB per month.

You may want to look into your plan first.  Then, after that, it's all a matter of turning the Personal Hotspot on in iOS.  If you're running iOS 7 and above, it's directly in the settings menu.  Select Settings and you'll see a green double-circle icon saying Personal Hotpsot.  Select that, select the button next to Personal Hotspot at the top, and your iPhone will show the password to use to join the wi-fi network.  You can change the password or use the default one, doesn't matter.

Just keep in mind that online gaming eats through data, Netflix and Hulu are data hungry apps too.  You can easily go through a 4GB data plan with a single gaming session.  A couple hours of Netflix and you'll have gone through 1.5-2GB.  It's really worth it only if you are in a bind, otherwise you will chew through your monthly allotment of data in the first few days.

Message 8 of 26 (97,141 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Mar 25, 2014
I can't imagine eating through 4gb of data in one gaming session. I've tracked it before and I've put in some long sessions of BF4 (64 players, massive maps, vehicles, etc) and never even hit half a GB in one session. Streaming and downloading are gonna burn data faster than gaming. YouTube can eat through data much faster than any games I've played.
 photo jermwarfare.png
Message 9 of 26 (97,122 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
400 posts

Mar 25, 2014
I game all the time using the 4G hotspot on my S4. It runs very smooth with no lag or issues. I'm lucky enough to be grandfathered into unlimited data through Verizon on my phone data and hotspot. Gaming isn't too bad on your data, but streaming anything is crazy. I've ran through 13gb in one night while watching netflix.
Message 10 of 26 (97,111 Views)
0 Likes