Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 25 2012
By: shogunreaper First Son 11 posts

Buying game via prepaid credit card

6 replies 383 views Edited Sep 25, 2012

I was trying to buy a game with a prepaid credit card, entered all the information and hit buy and noticed it said i didn't have enough funds.

Its a $50 card and the game i was trying to buy was $50, and it took out $1 verifying it, and then said it didn't have enough money lol..

Anyways i'm just wondering is that $1 gone or does it come back? and is there anyway to use this card to buy that $50 game?

Message 1 of 7 (383 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3988 posts

Re: Buying game via prepaid credit card

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

It will be returned.

because your using untrusted card supplier on a new account the PSN will run a verification transaction.

Changed my visa card bucket loads of times over the 5 years and still never get the verification transaction to happen...

But it will be a while. not instantly. and it will go back in to the wallet most times...

first time you use a card on pay pal the same can happen so is standard practice for some cards... 

PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 2 of 7 (381 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31063 posts

Sep 25, 2012

shogunreaper wrote:

I was trying to buy a game with a prepaid credit card, entered all the information and hit buy and noticed it said i didn't have enough funds.

Its a $50 card and the game i was trying to buy was $50, and it took out $1 verifying it, and then said it didn't have enough money lol..

Anyways i'm just wondering is that $1 gone or does it come back? and is there anyway to use this card to buy that $50 game?

You'll get the $1.00 back in a few days, jsut so you knwo the $1.00 charge was the system checking the card was valid, not stolen & had funds available etc.

If you're using a pre-paid credit card you must have it registered to a name & billing address or the card will not be taken.

Message 3 of 7 (370 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

Well it is registered but it doesn't have a name or address for it.

Its an american express card, only thing i can do online is check the balance. So i can't add it to my wallet on the psn, only way i was able to use it was during the purchase of the game, but of course since it took out the $1 there wasn't enough on it.

If i wait until after the $1 comes back and then try to use it again will it try to verify it the next time aswell?

Message 4 of 7 (366 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31063 posts

Sep 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure that the transaction still won't go through because the card doesn't have a mailing address associated with it, this has been the issue for a number of people with pre-paid credit cards.

I'm tempted to suggest that you use your pre-paid credit card to purchase a PSN card & add the funds that way.

Message 5 of 7 (353 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 13, 2012
Does anyone know for sure if the $1 is paid back to the pre-paid credit card or if it is added to the wallet?

If it is added to the wallet, I might as well do what BRIT-KO said and just buy a PSN card using it since the remaining amount in my card ($4) can't be added anyways without the extra dollar.
Message 6 of 7 (277 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16754 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Prepaid cards are not accepted by the Playstation Store because they have no verified billing address, and therefore provide no evidence of place of residence.  Sony imposes this restriction to discourage people from lying about where they live in order to avoid sales taxes, or to access content not licensed for the country they reside in. The card was never actually charged $1.  The reservation transaction that Sony uses to verify the card and billing address (which must match the address in your PSN account information) just temporarily reserves $1 of your balance.  The reservation will expire automatically in a few days if a corresponding capture transaction does not follow it, which it won't in this case.

GKP
Message 7 of 7 (273 Views)
0 Likes