Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 03 2012
By: sallam94x First Son 3 posts

Bought a used PS3, found it is PSN banned

25 replies 2513 views Edited Nov 3, 2012

Hello there everyone..

I am from Egypt, and I bought a used ps3 for my brother's birthday a week ago. The internet connection wasn't good enough, so we didn't try the online gaming until yesterday. Yesterday we have just had the new internet subscription (2 Mbps) so my brother asked me to create an accout on "Sony" for him and start the online gaming for him (he isn't that good at English) and I was shocked to find out that the PS3 system has been banned (800 something error).

The guy I bought the console from has already travelled abroad; he was selling it cuz he was travelling and wanted to make money..

So, is there anyway I could return the PSN functionality? or am I forced to sell this one as banned device (for a cheap price) and then buy another one?

btw, the console is Fat PS3, and I have no kind of receipt or proof of buying, but I have the original box it comes in.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 26 (2,513 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Re: Bought a used PS3, found it is PSN banned

Nov 3, 2012
Not only did you buy a banned PS3 console, you also have 2Mbps internet... What a bad day. Call SONY.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 2 of 26 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 3, 2012
Got a number in Egypt?
Message 3 of 26 (2,499 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30409 posts

Nov 3, 2012

sallam94x wrote:
Got a number in Egypt?

Welcome to the PlayStation Community for the USA.

Sorry but I don't think Sony has a customer service center/number for Egypt, you may want to consider contacting their UK/EU department or one for a country closer to your own.

Message 4 of 26 (2,491 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
26117 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

If a PS3 has been nuked by Sony, it can never be reset to go on the PSN again. But I would call them in case it's just a tech issue that needs to be resolved. Go online and do a search for a number or website.

This discussion will probably be moved to PlayStation®Network Support. You might want to go there to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 5 of 26 (2,487 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the reply.. I will check out that section trying to find help, but I think I'm gonna have to get another one. :smileysad:
The sad thing is that Super Slims haven't arrived here in Egypt yet.
Message 6 of 26 (2,468 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
26117 posts

Nov 4, 2012

Never buy a used system until you've taken it for a test drive. Knowing the seller is also wise.

When you buy your next PS3, make it a new one with a warranty.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 7 of 26 (2,418 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I have this same problem.  I bought a used device, and they treat me like a criminal.

I have tried to get this resolved through tech support, and they have refused (unless I offered to pay the previous owner's debt).  This is the case even though I have had the PS3 for years.

If I want network games, I will have to buy a new console.  In that case, I don't see why I would invest in this company again.  

Message 8 of 26 (2,263 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I do hope that this forum is a place to express an opinion freely. 

This item about Sony blocking a PS3, regardless of the current owner's ID or credit status, is ridiculous.  What does a previous owner's usage of a device have to do with the current owner's rights to use that device?  Where is it in an agreement we have that we must accept bricking a device due to someone else's behavior?

I cannot think of any other device - computer, cell phone, anything - that blocks usage based on a previous owner's use under a different ID and credit information.  What does "ownership" mean anyway?  Does Sony think they own the PS3 regardless of who has it?  Sounds like a carryover from digital-rights-management thinking; it's oppressive.

It's like buying a car and finding out you cannot drive it due to the previous owner's tickets.  Illogical.  It would kill the resale market.

Where is the agreement to accept this?

That's my 2 cents.

Message 9 of 26 (2,256 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4468 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Well, I do believe if the offender gets repeatedly offenses, they do a MAC address (correct me if I'm wrong).

There are also devices you can ruin to use again if you wish to use it on the main provider and etc'. If you steal a phone, that carrier can block the ESN number from ever being on that network again. Also, for an example, you use a smartphone and download an app from any of the app stores out there the creator of the app itself can block your UDID number and you can only change your UDID number by jailbreaking that phone.

Just because you bought and own something, doesn't mean the company of it shouldn't blacklist that device from breaking the ToS.

YB

Message 10 of 26 (2,242 Views)
0 Likes