Apr 16 2011
By: Blastfurnace2k Keyblade Wielder 8673 posts

Black screen

2 replies 269 views Edited Apr 16, 2011

Ok, so I'm on my second PS3 and this time around I have a slim 250gb model. It's been fine since last december or so when I got it, but today it's having an issue that makes no sense to me. I was playing it earlier and I shut it off, I got that triple beep like it was an error when I shut down or what not. Now when I turn it on, it's just a black screen. I've tried holding down the power button to reset the display etc. but nothing is working. If my TV wasn't picking it up it'd be a blue screen that says "no signal" but it's picking it up because I'm just getting a black screen. I've tried the reset and 2 different HDMI cables and connections with no results. Any ideas?

photo Qull-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 3 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Re: Black screen

Apr 16, 2011

Sounds like a fried graphics card. 

Message 2 of 3 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
8673 posts

Re: Black screen

Apr 17, 2011

Now I'm thinking it's my TV. Right around the same time this happened, my cable box stopped working on my TV as well. I got this message:

"The set top's HMDI port requires an HDCP compatible TV input. Please switch to a compatible TV input or do not use the set top's HDMI port. If your TV's input supports HDCP, the HDMI cable may be at fault."

I'd think maybe it was the HDMI cables, but after some extensive tooling around, the PS3 works on AV cables and the "other" box I use for gaming works fine between both my HDMI inputs and the 3 HDMI cables I have. Either it's the TV, or something in my cable box and PS3 died at the same time. At least I can use the PS3 in -400k res on the AV cables til I figure out what the heck is going on.

photo Qull-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 3 (269 Views)
0 Likes