First Son
3 posts

Re: April 20, 2011 Welcome back cut-off issue

Jun 4, 2011

stargiss wrote:

I do understand that people who bought a PS3 during the downtime want free stuff too...Hell, who doesn't? But the reality of it is that you simply don't deserve it! You haven't lost your personal info from this and your credit cards are just as safe now as they ever were. All you missed out on was a couple weeks of online play and that honestly is not equal to what the rest of us lost in this mess. While I feel for you and understand your disappointment I have to say that it would be just completely unfair to give people who lost nothing but a few weeks online play the same things as the ones who lost their personal info and also their credit card numbers on top of the few weeks downtime....the two things are not at all equal.

Just throwing this out there, not trying to start a fight, but the fact that the large majority of that estimated 77 million users DID NOT have credit card information. Why didn't Sony just give the free stuff to the people who were ACTUALLY vulnerable to credit card theft then? My assumption would be...not to alienate the other users.

stargiss wrote:

Now for my thoughts on the situation. Sony would have done themselves some good by offering the Welcome Back thing to anyone who opened an account in the first 7 days after the PSN came back up! Why? Because anyone who was on the fence about which console to buy would most definitely choose the PS3 if they knew they were going to be getting all this free stuff along with their purchase...would have gained a lot of business for Sony.

stargiss

I agree, this WOULD be the best business strategy. The fact that Sony used the cutoff date of when PSN went down was inexcusable. When Sony came up with the "Welcome Back" package were there intentions to say sorry or to save as much money as they can after THEIR mistakes? They obviously thought that no one was buying a PS3 before or during the incident. They have just as much right to the apology as anyone else. I keep hearing from many, not specifically you, that Sony is saying sorry to the loyal customers. By definition couldn't the loyal be considered the people who paid the initial price when the console was released or maybe the loyal are the people who bought it on day one. Then maybe the people who got a PS3 a month after it was released shouldn't get it either. Just my thoughts.

Message 11 of 13 (99 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 4, 2011

TornadicInferno wrote:

k fine, i see your point, i shouldnt have put it that way. but still, they didnt have to offer anytihng at all.  the way is see it.. if they offered nothing, people would complain, and now they offer 5 games to choose from, people still complain. its rediculous.  i never played any of the games they offer so bonus to me!  so i could really care less what anyone else thinks.

Your perception of "they didn't have to" mentality is a bit skewed. Companies "don't have to" compensate a customer for defective merchandise either, they could say "oh well that sucks, but you paid already thanks come back again please". The fact that people support corporations that make mistakes and have poor product quality is the exact reason they get away with shoddy products and services. Need an example? Go to Seattle and talk to Microsoft about their operating system, yet to this day there are still people out there that say "hey it's good enough for me" or "it works for me". To M$, the customer knows no better because they will keep coming back in herds.

Message 12 of 13 (99 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 5, 2011

I agree.

I'm in the same boat. I bought mine on day 2 of the outage with the intent of only watching netflix. I basically dropped $300 for a DVD player with the PS3 logo on it. My first thought was to trade it in, but I was led to believe I would be compensated if I stuck it out. The return policy expired some time ago, & I only find out now that I'm ineligible for any of these rewards. I'm annoyed, to put it mildly, & plan to hawk mine on Ebay or Gamestop.

Message 13 of 13 (99 Views)
0 Likes