Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 04 2011
By: akersjp First Son 3 posts

April 20, 2011 Welcome back cut-off issue

12 replies 31 views Edited Jun 4, 2011

Hello,

It doesn't seem very fair that I purchased a PS3 in late April primarily for blu-ray and netflix support.  For over a month I wasn't able to access netflix because I was unable to create a PSN account while the network was down.  As soon as the service came back on-line I registered for an account, then everything went down again shortly after.  I stuck with the PS3 instead of going with another device only because I was reading they would bring things back online quickly.  Now that I see a welcome package doesn't take into consideration users who purchased this during the down-time without knowledge, that doesn't seem very fair. 

Shouldn't customers who purchased a PS3 during the down-time not expecting PSN to be completely offline for over a month be compensated as well ?  It's not asking a lot, but since you can't access netflix without a PSN account, I wasn't very thrilled but stayed loyal by not returning the device. 

I love my PS3, just wish they would have extended this for people that came online as soon as the network was restored.

Message 1 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2466 posts

Re: April 20, 2011 Welcome back cut-off issue

Jun 4, 2011

if you watch the news, you wold have known it was down. it was a worldwide thing.  and as mentioned on here before,  its a welcome back package, not a thanks for joining package.  and you still could have got around the sign in for netflix, it just took a couple tries to cancel the sign in screen.   you need to do some research first.  i really dont believe the excuse you didnt know it was down. it was a global event, im sure someone you know, knew about it. and would have told you.

Message 2 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 4, 2011

I didn't see this start showing up in the news until later.  Again this was primarily purchased for netflix and blu-ray support not for gaming so I didn't see this being reported anywhere.

I read CNN, but again this didn't start showing up until after I had the until for a few weeks.  I did check online and see the network was taken down.  So of course I was frustrated I had just purchased the unit and had to go online to find it was down and this outage would last over a month.

It's not like when you walk into best buy and purchase this, they say, "hey the network is down don't buy it". 

Not sure how I could get around the login screen since trying to access netflix would tell me I need a PSN account first and clicking that would tell me there was a random error.  I tried multiple times, then jumped online to find it had been taken offline.

Not trying to make excuses, but it's weird to me people who didn't return the device for faith the service would be brought back are left out of this welcome back package.  I would have been happier.  Especially since I see majority of people commenting about the welcome back package, complaining they have all those items already.  So it's not like the existing PSN users are grateful or anything.  It would mean more to someone like me who had bad timing and doesn't have any of these items that were offered for free .

Message 3 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2466 posts

Jun 4, 2011

sony didnt have to give anything away. it was out of the kindness of their hearts.  i dont own or ever played any game they offered so i thought it was cool.  i got little big planet and wipeout.  i forget how to get around the sign in, i know people have done it. 

Message 4 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 4, 2011

I agree it was very cool they did this, so that is why I don't think it's right that only previous users get this.

Especially since they put Netflix right on the front of the box, and I purchase it for netflix.  I would have felt better about it if I had been included in this.  Especially since the day it came back online, I created an account, and then it was brought back down immediately.  So they can see I had created the account in the middle of all their issues.

You should read a little bit more and you'll see how unhappy people are with this welcome back package, and you'd see how someone like me would be more grateful since I don't own any of these items.

Message 5 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 4, 2011

Same thing happened to me. I purchased the PS3 early April and when I went to register a name, that's when I found out the PSN was down. Sony said it would be back up in 1-2 days so I figured no big deal, since the main reason I purchased the PS3 was for Hulu Plus in the bedroom. Unfortunately 1-2 days was code for 5-6 weeks. The funny thing is I went through the same EXACT issues the other "hardcore fans" went through and got nothing. I would of been satisfied with just an updated GUI that wasn't clunky and had some flow to it. Instead I get some interface that Sony felt the entry level programmers could handle.

The good news is the store is back up and functioning...oh wait "Error 80710D36". Well that's only because of the traffic right now...umm is that really their excuse for a poor network infrastructure? Wow, just WOW. Sony must outsource their network management to India. I guess their R&D team only thought a couple hundred people would use the store at once, that team needs to be fired ASAP.

At least I was able to get the Hulu Plus app when the store came back up...unfortunately while watching tv episodes the ps3 will go black and I have to quit the app and restart it. Sony truly has created the most overhyped console ever. They need to stick to making walkmans...oh wait thats right. Ok stick to making televisions...oh wait they have that pathetic Bravia line.

I now think back to when the PS3 was released, with such a high price point, and now understand why so many developers HATED working with it. And to think so many turds blamed the developers for making bad games with horrendous frame rates and delayed timeframes. The sad part is I knew this was going to happen when I first heard about the specs. The best example I can compare to the PS3 is some douche bag kid who has an 800 hp car, sure your car has a lot of power, but you can't utilize it on the roads. The only thing the kid can do is tell his friends it has 800 hp while it sits in the garage. I just hope the PS4 is reasonably spec'ed and streamlined better for creation of games because all that power under the hood is going to waste for such marginal games being released.

Message 6 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Jun 4, 2011

@akersjp

First, welcome to the forums!

Second, I think it is a bit unfair that folks who purchased their PS3s during the outage are missing out on the welcome back package. Though I think there are two points that need to be considered:

1. The 'welcome back' package is just that - a "welcome back" to folks who previously used the PSN. Not intended to be a give-away for newcomers. It defeats the purpose of the show of good faith if you suddenly start giving the games away to everyone.

2. Likley, the cut-off date was decided in order to ensure that people couldn't just create new PSN accounts and collect all the free games.

Anyway, that's my thinking. Hope you enjoy your PS3!

Message 7 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Jun 4, 2011

TornadicInferno wrote:

sony didnt have to give anything away. it was out of the kindness of their hearts.  i dont own or ever played any game they offered so i thought it was cool.  i got little big planet and wipeout.  i forget how to get around the sign in, i know people have done it. 

Didn't have to give anything away...Seriously?? They allowed someone to hack into their system and steal personal and credit card information of millions of PS3 users. Also, a lot of people couldn't play many of the games they own for almost a month because the network was down and we get a couple of free games "out of the kindness of their hearts".

While I certainly do appreciate Sony's gesture. It wasn't Sony's "kindness", It was damage control.

Jackal

-Marshmallow for brains-
Message 8 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jun 4, 2011

TornadicInferno wrote:

Let's not get carried away here and start saying things like "out of the kindness of their hearts". That phrase is nearly laughable when talking about any large corporation! Anything they gave away was a business decision and not a charitable act, I assure you!

@ OP...I've seen a few people complaining that they aren't getting anything even though they missed out on PSN for a few weeks because they bought their PS3 during the downtime. I can understand your disappointment but the simple and plain truth of it is that you don't get it because it was never meant for you! Sorry but that's how it is!

The Welcome Back program...let's take it at face value and see exactly what it says. It says Welcome Back...this basically states in it's title that it's is welcoming back players who were previously here...that doesn't include people who are new to PSN.

Now let's look at what exactly the Welcome Back program is. At the very core of it the program is an apology. For whom is this apology meant? The people who are owed an apology...the people who trusted Sony with their private info and had it lost by Sony. Again...this doesn't include new accounts. It's meant for those of us who have been with Sony and PSN for a while and even though Sony lost our info we still stuck with the company and the PS3 when we did not at all have to do so. The only ones for whom the Welcome Back program was designed are the ones who came back even though they have already been victimized by this incident.

I do understand that people who bought a PS3 during the downtime want free stuff too...Hell, who doesn't? But the reality of it is that you simply don't deserve it! You haven't lost your personal info from this and your credit cards are just as safe now as they ever were. All you missed out on was a couple weeks of online play and that honestly is not equal to what the rest of us lost in this mess. While I feel for you and understand your disappointment I have to say that it would be just completely unfair to give people who lost nothing but a few weeks online play the same things as the ones who lost their personal info and also their credit card numbers on top of the few weeks downtime....the two things are not at all equal.

Now for my thoughts on the situation. Sony would have done themselves some good by offering the Welcome Back thing to anyone who opened an account in the first 7 days after the PSN came back up! Why? Because anyone who was on the fence about which console to buy would most definitely choose the PS3 if they knew they were going to be getting all this free stuff along with their purchase...would have gained a lot of business for Sony.

But Sony didn't do it and what they did do is fair and it's right. I won't go into how they really could have done a little better than offering some outdated and crappy games and free rentals on movies that are decades old, but that they offered these things only to those of us who were actually victimized by the incident is quite fair. Regardless of how disappointing it is to new customers!

To new PSN customers: You can always hold out hope that someone else hacks PSN and steals your info and credit cards so you can get some crappy free games and movie rentals in the future

stargiss
Message 9 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2466 posts

Jun 4, 2011

k fine, i see your point, i shouldnt have put it that way. but still, they didnt have to offer anytihng at all.  the way is see it.. if they offered nothing, people would complain, and now they offer 5 games to choose from, people still complain. its rediculous.  i never played any of the games they offer so bonus to me!  so i could really care less what anyone else thinks.

Message 10 of 13 (31 Views)
0 Likes